General Reel Maintenance

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

General Reel Maintenance

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:22 pm

I will not cut and paste, so read the info on this website about taking care of your fishing reel.

http://daiwafishing.com.au/services/gen ... intenance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: General Reel Maintenance

Post by 4liters » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:50 pm

Doesn't say what grease and oil they use, does anyone who services their own reels have any recommendations?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

paulpaciocco

Post by paulpaciocco » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:15 pm

As an oil, anything lanolin based is fine. You can buy lanolin based oils at tackle stores marketed as reel oil. Just make sure you never use WD 40 or similar. As far as grease goes, I generally buy the Daiwa reel grease which is great. With mid to high quality reels, you won't have to grease very often. However I oil my reels after every use, following fresh water rinsing and drying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulpaciocco

Post by paulpaciocco » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:16 pm

In saying all that, I'm sure everyone else will have their own methods too, I'm just sharing mine :) hope it helps :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:27 pm

Cheers, there isn't any issue with using Daiwa grease on non Daiwa reels is there? Probably a stupid question but I wouldn't put it past reel manufacturers to have some proprietary component that requires some ultra specific lube.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:47 pm

4liters wrote:Cheers, there isn't any issue with using Daiwa grease on non Daiwa reels is there? Probably a stupid question but I wouldn't put it past reel manufacturers to have some proprietary component that requires some ultra specific lube.
Lol no mate it's good on any reel!
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Booya

Post by Booya » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:43 pm

As for washing your reel i recomend them to be done preferrably after every session if you do fish salwater. Following steps are recomended,
-tighten up drag then Flush your line roller in gentle running tap water for several second. Flush whole reel by having the spool facing up. Get rid of any scale or cantaminant while you are on it. Wipe and dry as much as you can then a drop of oil on line roller, make sure to use line to run the roller to get the oil inside the bearing/ bushing. Open up the spool if bottom part of the shaft has black trace of oil wipe it down and reoil , repeat until it clears up. If reel used heavily it may need service every 6 months but for most case it is recomended to be serviced every year. I think i you do the following and use your reel ocasionally, you should be fine with it getting overhauled every 2 years.Doing so should make your reel last a lifetime.

As for oil:
Wd40- this is cleaning agent, it is fine to clean corrosion with it but do not leave trace on reel as it may damage reel in long run. Do not use it as lubricant for reel.
Daiwa oil - there are 2 types of general daiwa oil for general use as far as i know, one come in spray can and the other is the more common one that comes in a pen tube with needle tip. They are recomended to be used for roller and shaft regular maintanance.
Daiwa grease -
104- these are made for daiwa gear recomended for internal gear box.
501- these are connector grease, not made for gear. Not sure why daiwa australia recomend these, as for refference : http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/prod ... goods.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
555 - they are drag grease, however i do not recomend them as they provide sticky drag that can be rather unpleasant.
555 utd - yes, theres 2 types of 555 grease and these provides a much better performance than the regular 555 grease.
Daiwa molybdenum - grease recomended for heavy spinning reel such as saltiga/ catalina.
Theres custom real four grease for daiwa that are obtainable from japan or ebay which delivers a better performance for reel under 4000 daiwa size.
Shimano oil - one that comes in little bottle when you buy a reel are fine to use for roller and shaft, these can also be used in shimano maintanance port to free grease up when reel feels tight.
Shimano oil spray - this has similar used to the regular shimano oil, can be purchased in a package of reel oil and grease spray as a maintanance package from ebay or japan.
Shimano grease
Permalube/DG10- are general shimano grease that can be used for gear as well. Can be use for most but not recomended for tiagra.
Dg01 - which are similar to calstar grease are use to lubricate drag stack, recomended for spinning but i dont see why you cant use these in baitcasters.
Dg04 - is the dedicated grease for baitcaster/ overhead drag stack.
Quantum grease - I only recomend these grease to be used on damaged gear that you want to reduced noise level or reel 4000 size and up and only for gear.
Quantum oil - I'll be honest, im just not a fan of it at all

Inox oil - I do not use them as lubricant but there are some that uses them and recomend them.

I will update the rest later.

I have cross brand on grease and oil and i dont see any problem with it.
However there are several reel that has roller that should not be temper with any oil,
Following reels are:
Exist magseal model
Certate 2013
Stella fi
Twinpower 2015
Stradic 2015
These reel has their own oil sealing their roller, tempering them with different oil can gives a rough roller.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:59 pm

Booya wrote:As for washing your reel i recomend them to be done preferrably after every session if you do fish salwater. Following steps are recomended,
-tighten up drag then Flush your line roller in gentle running tap water for several second. Flush whole reel by having the spool facing up. Get rid of any scale or cantaminant while you are on it. Wipe and dry as much as you can then a drop of oil on line roller, make sure to use line to run the roller to get the oil inside the bearing/ bushing. Open up the spool if bottom part of the shaft has black trace of oil wipe it down and reoil , repeat until it clears up. If reel used heavily it may need service every 6 months but for most case it is recomended to be serviced every year. I think i you do the following and use your reel ocasionally, you should be fine with it getting overhauled every 2 years.Doing so should make your reel last a lifetime.

As for oil:
Wd40- this is cleaning agent, it is fine to clean corrosion with it but do not leave trace on reel as it may damage reel in long run. Do not use it as lubricant for reel.
Daiwa oil - there are 2 types of general daiwa oil for general use as far as i know, one come in spray can and the other is the more common one that comes in a pen tube with needle tip. They are recomended to be used for roller and shaft regular maintanance.
Daiwa grease -
104- these are made for daiwa gear recomended for internal gear box.
501- these are connector grease, not made for gear. Not sure why daiwa australia recomend these, as for refference : http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/prod ... goods.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
555 - they are drag grease, however i do not recomend them as they provide sticky drag that can be rather unpleasant.
555 utd - yes, theres 2 types of 555 grease and these provides a much better performance than the regular 555 grease.
Daiwa molybdenum - grease recomended for heavy spinning reel such as saltiga/ catalina.
Theres custom real four grease for daiwa that are obtainable from japan or ebay which delivers a better performance for reel under 4000 daiwa size.
Shimano oil - one that comes in little bottle when you buy a reel are fine to use for roller and shaft, these can also be used in shimano maintanance port to free grease up when reel feels tight.
Shimano oil spray - this has similar used to the regular shimano oil, can be purchased in a package of reel oil and grease spray as a maintanance package from ebay or japan.
Shimano grease
Permalube/DG10- are general shimano grease that can be used for gear as well. Can be use for most but not recomended for tiagra.
Dg01 - which are similar to calstar grease are use to lubricate drag stack, recomended for spinning but i dont see why you cant use these in baitcasters.
Dg04 - is the dedicated grease for baitcaster/ overhead drag stack.
Quantum grease - I only recomend these grease to be used on damaged gear that you want to reduced noise level or reel 4000 size and up and only for gear.
Quantum oil - I'll be honest, im just not a fan of it at all

Inox oil - I do not use them as lubricant but there are some that uses them and recomend them.

I will update the rest later.
Thanks for that information. If I was to just get a general purpose oil and grease which would they be? Are there any that come in a decent size tub/bottle rather than those little 1oz tubes? Reels are Penn Slammers, Squalls, a Daiwa Windcast and a couple of Siennas if that makes a difference to the choice of oil/grease.

Booya

Post by Booya » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:04 pm

For daiwa,
http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/151717460539?nav=SEARCH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These are good and shimano has these too
http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/151715882261?nav=SEARCH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They are for daily use to maintain your reel, however i do not recommend them for overhaul.
Both brand are good, but personal reference I'm using shimano ones.

Those 1oz bottle grease should last you a very long time. Just for preference, with those 1oz grease i can overhaul at least 15 reel under 4000 size.
Last edited by Booya on Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:06 pm

What do you mean by overhaul? Taking the whole thing apart, cleaning and regreasing/oiling everything? What would you use for that?

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”