Booya

Re: booya's reels journal

Post by Booya » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:47 pm

continue...
Attachments
IMG_0480.JPG
line roller after clean up.
IMG_0467.JPG
line roller disassembled, normal reliable single bearing shimano line roller. a little clean up and oiling to do. green grease?? guess they even use cheaper grease for lower end reel?
IMG_0458.JPG
breakdown of handle, alot of black grease and a bushing (gives room to add another bearing). best way to open bearing cap with 5c coin.
IMG_0454.JPG
drag washers a little dirty but normal reliable shimano design, very stable. a little wipe and grease it is good to go again.

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:55 pm

Cheers - reckon I might service my caldia in that case. I had a feeling magseal was just a seal but wasn't sure given its an oil colloid. Reckon I can live without it. If waters is surrounding that area I've dunked the reel in which case magseal or no magseal it's a tear down. What oils and grease do you use - I'm thinking quantum hot sauce oil and grease and Daiwa 501 for the drag ... Although considering just using 501 across the board

Booya

Post by Booya » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:16 pm

sloth wrote:Cheers - reckon I might service my caldia in that case. I had a feeling magseal was just a seal but wasn't sure given its an oil colloid. Reckon I can live without it. If waters is surrounding that area I've dunked the reel in which case magseal or no magseal it's a tear down. What oils and grease do you use - I'm thinking quantum hot sauce oil and grease and Daiwa 501 for the drag ... Although considering just using 501 across the board
i do not recomend quantum unless gear has been damaged, you can use permalube from shimano or keep it oem with daiwa 104 depending on which you like better. for drag grease i prefer to use dg01 from shimano, if you do want daiwa grease please use the white daiwa 555 grease ultimate tournament drag. not the yellow liquidish one, they make your drag really jerky. I have not used grease 501 before but it seems to general, and i happen to have quite a bit of an ocd hahaha guess it's ok to use for gear but not for drag.

lastly use proper tool, treat the gear like your babies, don't drop it as daiwa dont sell gear as spare parts, at least not from japan.-- correct me if I'm wrong, haven't tried daiwa Australia.

ango

Post by ango » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:41 pm

Hi Guys,
I got some Teflon bike grease in a tube from Anaconda, I use it for all bearings and on carbontex washers in the drag, its very smooth. I have a 40 year old ABU Ambassador 6000, always had a lumpy drag, I tried everything and finally got it smooth with the Teflon grease & carbontex. Worked a treat on a few snapper last season. Always satisfying to catch them on equipment that you fix yourself.
Cheers from
Ango.

Booya

Post by Booya » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:22 pm

ango wrote:Hi Guys,
I got some Teflon bike grease in a tube from Anaconda, I use it for all bearings and on carbontex washers in the drag, its very smooth. I have a 40 year old ABU Ambassador 6000, always had a lumpy drag, I tried everything and finally got it smooth with the Teflon grease & carbontex. Worked a treat on a few snapper last season. Always satisfying to catch them on equipment that you fix yourself.
Cheers from
Ango.
Teflon grease do work well as a drag grease, many high end tackle develope grease with them. Although you can buy proper grease made for reel drag like cals and oem greases.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:09 pm

First of all, speaking as someone who if were to attempt dismantling reels...it would end in disaster, I do admire your work!
Booya wrote:...........................................................................................................................................................................................................
@sloth - magseal does not serve as lubrication at all, I think they will do more damage than protecting reel parts if it does leak to internal system hence the reason why i refrain from filling them with aftermarket product. Tbh if i could i would put a very thin rubber seal instead for protection, simple and easily maintained.
From the above comment and your comment (below), do you think the 'magseal' concept is not ideal? Or do you think the idea is fine, but just a pain to service as in it sounds like it has to go back to a Daiwa dealer to be serviced.
...here is the first insight of the so called magseal technology....
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Booya

Post by Booya » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:37 pm

Rod Bender wrote:First of all, speaking as someone who if were to attempt dismantling reels...it would end in disaster, I do admire your work!
Booya wrote:...........................................................................................................................................................................................................
@sloth - magseal does not serve as lubrication at all, I think they will do more damage than protecting reel parts if it does leak to internal system hence the reason why i refrain from filling them with aftermarket product. Tbh if i could i would put a very thin rubber seal instead for protection, simple and easily maintained.
From the above comment and your comment (below), do you think the 'magseal' concept is not ideal? Or do you think the idea is fine, but just a pain to service as in it sounds like it has to go back to a Daiwa dealer to be serviced.
...here is the first insight of the so called magseal technology....
cheers
Jim
I think magseal do work, but i think it serves more as a marketing strategies rather than working on a better technology. The idea of them doing magseal is to decrease resistance on turn, which i cant see how a thin rubber with oil coat can increase the resistance to the point that it is noticeable comparable to magseal. Though i do not have the resource to test the rubber and magseal side to side on a same reel to see if I'm actually right.

AE092
Has liked: 5 times

Post by AE092 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:45 pm

This is an awesome thread!

Regarding your first post, does the Shimano Rarenium come with bearings in the line roller and the knob as standard? What is the turn around time for servicing? I'm not overly far from you and have a Daiwa Luvias 2004H. I added an RCS M-knob, bearings in the knob and spool and a carbon drag washer. It's seen alot of use but has been faultless

Booya

Post by Booya » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:40 pm

AE092 wrote:This is an awesome thread!

Regarding your first post, does the Shimano Rarenium come with bearings in the line roller and the knob as standard? What is the turn around time for servicing? I'm not overly far from you and have a Daiwa Luvias 2004H. I added an RCS M-knob, bearings in the knob and spool and a carbon drag washer. It's seen alot of use but has been faultless
Thanks, turn over time usually varies from 2days to a week depending on work load as i only do these as an afterwork hobbies. If parts need to be replaced it could take more time up to a month if ordered from japan. In regard of rarenium, yes it came with bearing on handle and line roller.

Booya

Post by Booya » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:06 pm

next up is daiwa freams - oil seal
Attachments
IMG_0527.JPG
instead of having a proper socket for both side of bosy, daiwa hold one side of main gear with retainer clip at the end of bearing instead.
IMG_0525.JPG
shaft supported by steel pin for stability
IMG_0524.JPG
reel is clogged up with blue grease
IMG_0520.JPG
please don't put any grease near anti reverse, one of many reason i would not fill the mag seal up as well as excessive grease or oil in anti reverse will make the system fail.
IMG_0519.JPG
breakdown of oil seal with steel washer holding a felt washer soaked with oil to prevent water entry. common sense, oil soaked fabric will still absorb water.
IMG_0518.JPG
a very large space between the pinion gear and shaft leaving the rotor nut without bearing to take all the load.
IMG_0516.JPG
on the fream range, instead of having bearing to support, it only has a machine cut rotor nut to suit.
IMG_0515.JPG
a breakdown of the shaft arrangement, i've previously seen a reel that was forcefully pull by a plier to attempt service, for those who want to self service their reel there's actually a pin holding the spool holder/clicker that can be easily push out once bearing/bushing removed.
IMG_0513.JPG
closer look
IMG_0512.JPG
reel is clogged up with blue grease on side
Last edited by Booya on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”