booya's reels journal

Booya

Re: booya's reels journal

Post by Booya » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:15 pm

Oil in reservoir should be sufficient for several services considering it has not been tempered with or sunbaked.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:57 pm

Booya

Were abts are you located ?

I have two curado baitcasters that need a service

Cheers bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:15 pm

Does the magseal oil serve any lubricating purpose or is it purely to stop water ingress? Ie can you live without it?

Booya

Post by Booya » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:25 pm

@Barramick - ill be honest that I'm not 100% on baitcasters yet though i have done a couple, i am located in chadstone area
@sloth - magseal does not serve as lubrication at all, I think they will do more damage than protecting reel parts if it does leak to internal system hence the reason why i refrain from filling them with aftermarket product. Tbh if i could i would put a very thin rubber seal instead for protection, simple and easily maintained.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:32 pm

Did you just put the felt drag washers back in or replace with carbontex

Booya

Post by Booya » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:46 pm

For certate i have added 2 extra bearing but still use original washer, as for rarenium it has two spool one has carbontex and one in picture has felt washer

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:10 pm

Booya wrote:@Barramick - ill be honest that I'm not 100% on baitcasters yet though i have done a couple, i am located in chadstone area
@sloth - magseal does not serve as lubrication at all, I think they will do more damage than protecting reel parts if it does leak to internal system hence the reason why i refrain from filling them with aftermarket product. Tbh if i could i would put a very thin rubber seal instead for protection, simple and easily maintained.
so curado baitcaster a no go ??

Booya

Post by Booya » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:16 pm

barra mick wrote:
Booya wrote:@Barramick - ill be honest that I'm not 100% on baitcasters yet though i have done a couple, i am located in chadstone area
so curado baitcaster a no go ??

I can do it, it will take some times give or take a week. but if anti reverse is the problem i will refrain from it for now.

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:28 pm

No probs..I will send you a pm

Booya

Post by Booya » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:41 pm

This is aernos c5000fa i did yesterday
Attachments
IMG_0492.JPG
reel owner complains about the reel spins around while bail arm is open, turns out they dont even bother with friction ring to give more resistance for bail arm to turn on cast.
IMG_0462.JPG
reel cracked open as expected, a slight corrosion.
IMG_0464.JPG
a lot of grease on unnecessary place, guess mass produce were to blame. one of the bearing is fully clogged with grease. i personally like to use medium thickness oil for reel internal to ease wind but still gives enough protection to it.
IMG_0463.JPG
mild corrosion on pinion bearing,
IMG_0468.JPG
owner complains that bail arm doesn't click when fully open which all shimano should do. turns out they didnt even bother to put the bail arm clicker there. this reel only had 1 owner and it was first service the reel had.
IMG_0471.JPG
i don't know if you can see it, but gear do get a little corrosion and a slight deform.
IMG_0472.JPG
gears after getting washed
IMG_0474.JPG
always minimize amount of grease on reel to get an easier wind- gear doesnt need to battle thick grease for an extra unwanted resistance. i smother grease on main gear as this uncoated gear do get salt corrosion fairly quickly
IMG_0478.JPG
to put this reel back, arrow must be align to the little knob that drives the reel up and down otherwise it will be unpleasant to wind having high resistant every turn and damages gear in long run,
IMG_0487.JPG
reel finished, however cheaper range of shimano gear degrades faster which are irreversable nothing major just a little less smooth. i guess you get what you paid for.
Last edited by Booya on Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”