booya's reels journal

Booya

Re: booya's reels journal

Post by Booya » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:02 pm

continue on last post, this part is progress in figuring what to replace while making best attempt on cleaning corroded part.
Attachments
IMG_0356.JPG
this is the bearing off the base of pinion which shimano named X-ship technology. it has seized up, looking at it having rubber seal i attempt to peel seal off and try flush it but unfortunately it could not be saved.
IMG_0344.JPG
clutch pin, spring and clutch trigger taken off the reel before main body goes to wash.
IMG_0353.JPG
main gear after washed, this is the part on you get what you paid for, i was stunned by the condition considering on most reel this should be the first gear that need to be replaced.
IMG_0352.JPG
after cleaning most of the salt crust out, i notice that most of the main body has been eaten away, after much thought it is decided that main body replacement is necessary.
IMG_0355.JPG
upon assemble and test, most part of the internal are fine except for the bearing the support pinion, the shimano so called x-ship technology.

Booya

Post by Booya » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:24 pm

Finally part has arrived from japan, a bit anxious if i did order enough to revive this reel. :oops:
so here goes organ transplant.
Attachments
IMG_0600.JPG
part has arrived :)
IMG_0602.JPG
here is the old body vs new body just to show how much has been eaten away by corrosion.
IMG_0605.JPG
anti reverse trigger, simple design and reliable.
IMG_0606.JPG
all internal part are salvaged from old body apart from the new pinion gear
IMG_0608.JPG
all internal assembled with new pinion gear.
IMG_0612.JPG
clutch restored, in my opinion this is the best clutch system ever made only for stella fe, fd , vanquish and stella sw
IMG_0620.JPG
rotor attached...... phew reel reel rotation is mint :banana:
IMG_0621.JPG
drag system layout are the same with stella fe getting cleaned and fresh grease to go with it.
IMG_0623.JPG
reel has been revived, feels new and looks new :).

Booya

Post by Booya » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:29 pm

this is just to show the difference on high end daiwa vs high end shimano on sealing their reel.
rubber seal vs magseal.

steez and exist share the same magseal system to certate.
Attachments
IMG_0239.JPG
breakdown on pinion seal that shimano applied only on stella with bearing to increase smoothness. a floating shaft with little space between pinion gear and shaft makes them extremely rigid.
IMG_0614.JPG
this is the way shimano seal their high end reel with rubber ring on a spacer that will be locked to rotor with retainer to hold them together.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”