Shimano rod guides.

Rod Bender

Shimano rod guides.

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:17 pm

Hi peeeeoooples
Been meaning to start this thread for a year or more...finally got around to it! :) I may be wrong but from memory Shimano rods were at one stage all fitted with Fuji guides. Then it changed. Looking at their rods now it seems that some (more expensive) rods are still fitted with Fuji guides but names like 'Pac Bay' and 'SEA Guide' appears.

Assuming I am correct that there was a change...anyone know why? Couldn't see it being driven by anything other than cutting costs. Regardless, have there been any noticeable differences since the change?
Thanks in advance.
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Shimano rod guides.

Post by Nude up » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:27 pm

I have noticed this myself I bought a cranx nano 9ft surf spin great rod crap guides they have all turned green I have also had a few of the ceramic inserts fall out or crack. I think its something to do with the american market

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:19 pm

Nude up wrote:I have noticed this myself I bought a cranx nano 9ft surf spin great rod crap guides they have all turned green I have also had a few of the ceramic inserts fall out or crack. I think its something to do with the american market
I have noticed it as well with my shimano guides turning green.....its pissing me off. Lately of bought rods with better guides and I'm not having that problem
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:34 pm

one of the reasons I stayed away from the budget shimano rods were exactly that, **** guides and reel seats.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:44 pm

I think shimano have so much of the market they put the cheap guides on just to save money the blanks are good. They talk the crap guides up to

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:00 pm

i wonder if it is they save money by not paying the fuji licensing fees....

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:22 am

I bought a bunch of eclipse rods for the boat, and had a few ceramic inserts fall out after the first use. (to be fair they didnt get treated too kindly, and probably had a plastic bead wheeled in too fast) however I got them for $20 from a compleat anger sale, so figured you get what you pay for. I have since seen them at tackle shops for $79.95, I would be hella annoyed if I had of paid that much for them.

That being said, I havent had an issue with my catanas or sephias.

tomota99

Post by tomota99 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:36 am

Anybody with more knowledge on this, correct me if I am wrong, but I read in another forum that the USA's market dictates most of Shimano's manufacturing decisions (we are but a small slice of the pie), apparently SEA guides are in high usage in the USA so they have simply changed things for commonality (as well as to save costs).

toygtr

Post by toygtr » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:14 am

The guides turning green are corrosion.
I know they are cheap guides but are you washing the rods down with warm soapy water? The only thing that removes salt properly is warm water. Maybe a little wd40 or something on the guides to protect them will have them last longer.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:30 am

the guides are ****, period.... the action on most are also noodles, if fishing hardbodies they are ok, but for plastics I prefer a fast action or even Xfast action and shimano don't have any locally that I know of.
I look at the so called Tcurve range, absolute shite sticks, heavier than my gen blacks and bends like a noodle.
they are good if your don't have very picky specs like me..

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”