Baitcasters

clarky9999

Baitcasters

Post by clarky9999 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:36 pm

Anybody got any tips for casting a bait caster?? Had it awhile now and keep getting birdsnests when casting. Is it just practise makes perfect???
Stress is the uncontrolable desire to choke the living sh1t out of some a$%^ole who desperatly deserves it

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Baitcasters

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:13 pm

clarky9999 wrote:Anybody got any tips for casting a bait caster?? Had it awhile now and keep getting birdsnests when casting. Is it just practise makes perfect???
Yeah practise does make perfect.

I avoided using them until I started using a Diawa Millionaire. One thing is to have the magnetic control just right. Even now I still get the occasional backlash.

the other secret is when to apply the thumb to stop the over run, too early and you get a burnt thumb, too late and wind up with a birdsnest.

Seano

Post by Seano » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:48 pm

dose it have the drum brake? do it up untill the lure/what ever your casting only just slowly falls when the realse is pressed, and practice lots.
I just got home from a 7 day fishing trip in NT where all i was using was bait casters, buy the end i was getting pretty good at controling it but still got over runs every once in a while.

Fishtofish

Post by Fishtofish » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:00 pm

Lol....baitcasters,should try learning using the Calcutta DC or any type of DC from shimano.
The main thing is to get the dail on both side tune in with the weight you're casting.keep in mind the elements like winds and adjust accordingly.
Whatever you do,do not learn to cast with the el cheapo baitcasters.ever heard of the expression cheap n nasty......some of em out there is just like that.

clarky9999

Post by clarky9999 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:29 am

Thanks for the tips fellas, just got the reel out of the shed, its a shimano callisto cso-100 with an easymag? on one side. Been in the backyard casting a sinker ariound practising and slowly(very slowly) getting better.
Stress is the uncontrolable desire to choke the living sh1t out of some a$%^ole who desperatly deserves it

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:56 am

Smooth casting & a good thumb & plenty of practice mate . ;)

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:08 am

Ok, one of the most important things is to make sure the casting brake is adjusted properly.
To do so pop your casting weight on & knock her outa gear. The casting weight should just release & decend to the ground. If it drops uncontrolled then you need to adjust it up a bit.
Next, dont try too hard. Putting too much effort into trying to cast to Tassie can bring ya unstuck failry easy.
The main benefit of a baitcaster over a spin reel is accurace. Keep that in mind & don't try for too much distance.
Distance will come with experience. Just work on developing a gentle, accuurate lob cast.
Also, try holding the reel side on rather than upright when casting. This will often give you better thumb control over the freespooling spool.
Now, when to brake with the thumb.
Usually it's not when the weight is flying through the air that the birds next appesars, but rather when the weight stops as it hits water, but the spool continues rotating. So start by working on developing your timing to completely stopp the spool rotating at the instant the weight hits the water. Yeah it'll be a bit jerky to start with but as you get used to it you'll get smoother with better timing development.
Lastly, practice, practice, practice; but get that brake sorted out first.

Bill.

clarky9999

Post by clarky9999 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:29 pm

Cheers Bill, the neighbours may learn some new words while practising, heading out to a mates dam tomorow night to try it.

Dilksy

Post by Dilksy » Wed May 09, 2012 6:55 pm

clarky9999 wrote:Anybody got any tips for casting a bait caster?? Had it awhile now and keep getting birdsnests when casting. Is it just practise makes perfect???
Go onto to youtbe and type in ' how to cast a bait a baitcaster'. it should easier to follow than reading it from here. :r

Andoki

Post by Andoki » Thu May 10, 2012 8:56 am

I never liked the baitcaster for the same reason, but when you get right, it makes a very good tool to catch many good mid size fish;but generally speaking, I agree with Bartnmax and Miker in there advises, and you actually don't need to whipping the road when casting, just nice easy cast, and heavy enough weight, with your thumb on the line, and it seems like you also need to use a bit heavier line than what you are using.
bottom line keep practice … Cheers

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”