Lexa, Tranx and Curado

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Lexa, Tranx and Curado

Post by Truedogz » Fri May 24, 2019 7:45 am

As I indicated recently in my 2019 boof thread I had an issue develop with my Tranx 301 baitcaster. On my way home from that trip I called in at Boats and More in Shepparton and had a long chat with Terry Phillips. Terry is a wealth of information having caught a lot of big cod, barra up north and black bass overseas. I sought his opinion on heavyweight freshwater reels and had a look at quite a range while I was there. He talked me into buying a Lexa 301 wn reel.

I've since fixed the Tranx, it was a simple problem of a nut working loose. So I now have 3 baitcasters I could use for cod fishing, the Lexa 301, Tranx 301 and a Curado 201. I thought I would post my opinions on the three reels for those contemplating their purchase.
lexa tranx curado.jpg
The Curado 201 is a terrific reel and I highly recommend it for run of the mill lure tossing for cod and other natives. Great reel for tossing the lighter lures on smaller waters like the Broken, King or Ovens. With its light weight it balances well with lighter rods like the Shimano Raider series which is a popular combination. A good choice for entry into tossing lures for cod. The negatives are when you toss big lures you work the reel hard, the smaller spool spins faster increasing the risk of backlash. Also the drag system. It has a beautiful drag but it is fairly light. With heavy braid the drag is automatically set to its maximum which I think is 12 lbs. If you occasionally chase cod and wan't a reel you can use on other freshwater species this is the one to get out of the three.

The Tranx 301 replaced the Curado 301 which was a legendary reel for heavyweight freshwater fishing. There is no doubt it is a fine reel, it casts relative light lures well and handles the heavy ones no problem. The drag system is great, I think 22 pounds and very smooth. With the heavier drag and bigger spool it is better suited for bigger fish on bigger rivers and lakes than the Curado. There are several negatives. It is a much heavier reel, probably too heavy to balance with a raider rod and even on my Veritas I can get a sore forearm after casting for a few hours. It is a lightweight, well built reel but also a bit like a sports car that needs some TLC as I found out. It is a great reel but people with Curado 300s are hanging on to them as they believe they are more durable.

I've been impressed with the Lexa 301 wn which I have used for a few weeks. Terry recommended it over the Tranx as having held up better on Papuan black bass. A bit of research revealed two possible negatives. Problems with older models with the disengage thumb lever, now fixed, and a lack of lubrication in the factory. Its an ounce lighter than the Tranx, and sits a touch lower which makes all the difference - I could cast all night with it. A great drag system of 22 lbs like the Tranx. As for casting lighter lures the Tranx might have a slight edge but I prefer the Lexa for the heavier lures. The magnetic cast system might slightly impede very light lures like a rubber frog but definitely reduces the risk of a birdsnest with the heavier lures I use. I really like it, easy to cast the big lures and the bigger handle is a bonus. I stripped it down and greased it before I used it. The comments amount lack of lubrication were to some degree true.

Out of all of this the Lexa is now my main reel for chasing cod. The Curado will no longer be the backup but now set up for bass, big trout and yellas. The Tranx will be the backup for cod but I may use it with the swimbait rod as its greater weight might balance that rod better than the Lexa.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Re: Lexa, Tranx and Curado

Post by happyfriggincamper » Fri May 24, 2019 8:00 am

Nice review truedogz - what's the gearing ratio on each and did it have any bearing on your preference in the retrieve part of their performances?

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri May 24, 2019 11:50 am

What about the Mitchell????
Too light ???

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Fri May 24, 2019 12:40 pm

Informative post will! Your Curado, which model is it as in 'i', or another one? Dave's is an 'e' and I now have a 'k'. I have lost track of them!!!!! I have 30 lb braid on my 'k' What I have noticed when adjusting the cast control knob when using heavy lures, you run out of room if you know what I mean. Have to have it fairly well locked up or the lure will still pull line when adjusting the spool for the lure weight. One soon learns the capability of the rod and reel and can work within its limits and I will have to utilise some of my heavier gear more often. I thought I may have got away with heavier lures.

And the legendary 301 Curado you talk about, was that the old 'e' (green) model? It is the last 300 that I remember seeing but that is not to say there haven't been others. The 300 'e' did have a cult following! I would hazard a guess that it was released over 12 years ago.
Cheers
Team Bender
Has owned too many reels.

Truedogz

Post by Truedogz » Sat May 25, 2019 7:44 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:00 am
what's the gearing ratio on each and did it have any bearing on your preference in the retrieve part of their performances?
HFC gear ratio is only really relevant when comparing near identical reels. The best comparison is the line retrieved per turn of the handle. The Curado is 66 cm, the Tranx is 75 cm and the Lexa is 82 cm. For the type of fishing I do the slower the retrieve the better so the Curado is the winner. Unfortunately there is a limited range of models in left hand wind which is the traditional approach for right handed anglers and I think the best one. I've found that even though the Lexa retrieves more per turn of the handle with the bigger handle it is easier to turn it slower, if that makes any sense!
April Fool wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:40 pm
our Curado, which model is it as in 'i', or another one? Dave's is an 'e' and I now have a 'k'.

And the legendary 301 Curado you talk about, was that the old 'e' (green) model? It is the last 300 that I remember seeing but that is not to say there haven't been others. The 300 'e' did have a cult following! I would hazard a guess that it was released over 12 years ago.
Jim, the Curado I have is the 201hg which I think is from the k series. You are correct about the old Curado 300s being the e series. Big bucks for a good one when they come up on ebay. In some ways the Tranx 300 is superior, but the perception is to keep the weight down some compromises were made. There is more than one report of the sideplate coming off when under pressure from a really BIG saltwater fish. It is a great reel, my preference for the Lexa coming from its lighter weight which is noticeably different on my rod. I've called the Lexa a 301 but Daiwa don't use odd numbers for the lefties. It is officially a LEXA-WN300HSL. The Tranx might have an advantage for higher speed saltwater species having fine gear teeth. For comfort and the type of fishing I do the Lexa is more comfortable.
Texas wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:50 am
What about the Mitchell????
Too light ???

Graeme I use a Mitchell 300 for my lighter fishing for trout, reddies, maccas, blackies, bass, yellas etc - note the 300 means its a left hand wind intended for right handed anglers! They weren't designed for big fish or heavy line. I've got an old Mitchell 306 which I will use for bait fishing for cod, a much beefier reel, when I am too decrepit to walk long distances flicking surface lures for cod. :( Love the Mitchells and my old cane rods and plan to use them more next season. :thumbsup:

Best Wishes

Truedogz

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Sun May 26, 2019 2:02 pm

Will, the 'k' came out last year. Here is a pic.
Curado K.jpg
Your Curado looks like its cover is made up of two colors. May just be the flash! Anyway, doesn't matter.

I checked out the Lexa in question at Boats and More the other day, albeit the right handed model. A solid reel! I found out something else about it on the day. I grabbed the first swimbait rod I could see...a Loomis. The reel seat on the Loomis could not accommodate the reel. Terry said one of his mates who has an 'edge' rod has the same issue. It did happily fit on the next rod I tried...the Venom swimbait rod. If anyone intends on purchasing a Lexa for a rod they have, check if it fits or you may need a grinder!
cheers
Team Bender
Admired the impressive delivery of Kuttafurra lures that arrived at the tackle store!

Truedogz

Post by Truedogz » Mon May 27, 2019 5:12 pm

April Fool wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:02 pm
Your Curado looks like its cover is made up of two colors.
Yes Jim the top of it is silver. It is about 2 years old so it will be an i series.
April Fool wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:02 pm
The reel seat on the Loomis could not accommodate the reel. Terry said one of his mates who has an 'edge' rod has the same issue. It did happily fit on the next rod I tried...the Venom swimbait rod.
A good observation Jim and emphasises a very important point. The rod and reel should be purchased in combination to get the balance right. I did that with the Veritas and Curado but bought the Tranx on line. The Lexa balances the Veritas very well.

Jim the thing I have noticed is that people are buying rods too light in the tip and too long for serious cod fishing. That is fine and might be desireable in boats on lakes where you are lobbing the lures some distance out. Flexible rods are good too when fish sps from a boat near snags for cod. On rivers bendy tips compromise the accuracy of even the moderate sized lures and long rods are a pain for bank fishing it is harder to position the rod for the cast near trees. With the stiffer Veritas rod I can skip cast a 120 mm cod cracker or a big stump jumper under banks or repeatedly land them within a foot of a snag.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”