Rod and Reel for cod/yellowbelly

Watp

Rod and Reel for cod/yellowbelly

Post by Watp » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:35 am

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a rod and reel for chasing cod/yellowbelly? To be honest I am just looking for something to chuck the odd lure around with but mostly slinging some cheese about as well. Majority of my fishing will be around the Moooroopna/SHepp stretches of the river. TIA!

jedgpz

Re: Rod and Reel for cod/yellowbelly

Post by jedgpz » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:50 am

Watp wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:35 am
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a rod and reel for chasing cod/yellowbelly? To be honest I am just looking for something to chuck the odd lure around with but mostly slinging some cheese about as well. Majority of my fishing will be around the Moooroopna/SHepp stretches of the river. TIA!
Hey there.
The important question would be budget.
I fish that area abit and have found Trelly's Shepparton staff very good for advice and the times I have had a budget which is cheap they have always come up with a good option.
I may see you on the river there one day :)
Cheers Jed

Watp

Post by Watp » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:46 am

Hey there.
I fish that area abit and have found Trelly's Shepparton staff very good for advice and the times I have had a budget which is cheap they have always come up with a good option.
Cheers Jed
[/quote]

Thanks mate, they have been polite everytime I have came in to get some bait. I will go in and see them and likewise mate!

jedgpz

Post by jedgpz » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:03 am

Watp wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:46 am
Hey there.
Cheers Jed
Thanks mate, they have been polite everytime I have came in to get some bait. I will go in and see them and likewise mate!
[/quote]

I use their Bandit series bait casting rods for flicking lures, they are great rods. I have a abu garcia revo with it.
I have a 1%er for my trolling rod I have a Kingcast on it. Brought it as an experiment to see what they are like, I have two now and just got a kingcast baitrunner as well.

Watp

Post by Watp » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:36 am

Thanks mate I will check it out! I was looking at the Shimano Raider series as well.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:39 am

Were you definitely looking for a baitcast rod and reel?
Cheers
Jim

Watp

Post by Watp » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:51 am

I was but happy to lean back towards a spin outfit, especially for soakings baits.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:35 am

If you ended up going for a spin outfit I would go for a 4000ish size reel and a rod to match. But if your original intentions were baitcast, stick with it. I think a baitcast outfit can handle heavier lures as opposed to a spin outfit unless you get a monster of a spin outfit!

A baitcaster can still be used for bait fishing. Sounds stupid that I mention that but the baitcaster is primarily used for lures. In the US and other influential countries they call lures 'baits' so I think that is where they get thier name.

One advantage of using a baitcaster with bait...cast it out...leave the spool disengaged and you have a baitrunner!
Cheers
Jim

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”