Alvey reels now expensive ?

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Alvey reels now expensive ?

Post by hornet » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:11 pm

I was searching Ebay for Alveys out of curiosity if the prices have settled seeing they will continue to be made now, to my surprise the prices are higher now than when the company was going to close !
so I searched the web, tackle stores and online prices and that surprised me even more !
Alvey prices are now insane, I would have thought a company given a second chance to stay in manufacturing would stay competitive in the market place ? apparently not from what I've researched, if sales slump because of Alvey prices to high I don't think they will get a third chance.

https://www.qt.com.au/news/business-dea ... l/3392707/
Last edited by hornet on Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: Alvey reels now expensive ?

Post by Kimtown » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:32 pm

I went out and bought one thinking they would shut down then was somewhat pissed off that they didn't shut down (felt almost like false advertising in a sense) so this makes me somewhat happy again lol

Also because a rivet popped off the sidecast bracket so I'm sure they can replace it now?

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:51 am

Jacking your prices up probably not a good idea for a company who was on the verge of extinction very recently, especially considering their competition

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:23 pm

I'd say that their second chance hasn't come without some major restructuring. I would think it would be this re-structuring that has led to the price increase.

Their old business model obviously wasn't working so you can't expect them to just do the same thing over again......

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:26 pm

yepi'mon wrote:I'd say that their second chance hasn't come without some major restructuring. I would think it would be this re-structuring that has led to the price increase.

Their old business model obviously wasn't working so you can't expect them to just do the same thing over again......
Someone who understands how business works... they could hardly lower prices..

Paul Foot

Post by Paul Foot » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:50 pm

Some of them have got expensive! I read an article about how they have been taken over and the new marketing, distribution and products that they are going to do. Getting away from fiberglass and getting into carbon fiber composites, so lighter stronger reels. The articles appear to be pay walled now so I won't bother linking them.

Al03

Post by Al03 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:43 am

Biggest problem with consumers these days is the obsession to shop around on price. It's easy to do, hop online and compare prices for the same product from Multiple Retailers , find the lowest price and then bust their balls by trying to get the product even cheaper. Guess it's human nature. However, what people don't consider, is that the Retailer's need a realistic profit margin to keep their businesses viable, shop front businesses with their rents ,wages, insurances and utilities fit this criteria. Online shopping is easy, cheaper and convenient. Good luck returning a faulty product. I would much rather pay MORE to a shop front business for the same product because I can handle the product, ask relevant questions and be confident that the product will meet my needs. Plus it keeps people in this Country employed.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:18 am

Al03 wrote:Biggest problem with consumers these days is the obsession to shop around on price. It's easy to do, hop online and compare prices for the same product from Multiple Retailers , find the lowest price and then bust their balls by trying to get the product even cheaper. Guess it's human nature. However, what people don't consider, is that the Retailer's need a realistic profit margin to keep their businesses viable, shop front businesses with their rents ,wages, insurances and utilities fit this criteria. Online shopping is easy, cheaper and convenient. Good luck returning a faulty product. I would much rather pay MORE to a shop front business for the same product because I can handle the product, ask relevant questions and be confident that the product will meet my needs. Plus it keeps people in this Country employed.
I like supporting small local businesses but they obviously can't match the price of the big consumers on certain products. I generally buy all my small tackle from my Cousin who owns and runs our local shop but things like top shelf rods and reels he would struggle to make a buck on as it is, so I don't even try to budge him down.

I have no problem going into large scale businesses like BCF or Anaconda , handling the product, ask the questions, then leave and go pay the best price online.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:23 am

Even if you don't like Big retailers and want to support the small local dealer, don't forget large retailers such as BCF and Anaconda ect employ a lot more people than small business in full and part time roles.

Just puttin it out there...
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:31 pm

hornet wrote:Even if you don't like Big retailers and want to support the small local dealer, don't forget large retailers such as BCF and Anaconda ect employ a lot more people than small business in full and part time roles.

Just puttin it out there...
Ah true my bad

Sorry stripplett ily

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”