Question: What does "1+1" bearings mean in a reel?

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Question: What does "1+1" bearings mean in a reel?

Post by mingle » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:11 pm

That'll be it - the anti-reverse. Thanks for setting my mind at rest. :-)

I agree about the less bearing not being a negative. Some of the best, most reliable reels I've
used have bronze (later ones, Teflon) bushes.

Look at some of the Penn Multipliers, like the Jigmaster - just bushes and utterly reliable.

My favourite spinning reels are the old(ish) Shimano FX1000, FX2000 and FX4000, which have no bearings.
They take a hammering and are virtually maintenance-free. Still going strong after 15 years. :-)

I reckon the proliferation of bearings is just a ploy by the manufacturers to get gullible fishos to shell-out
for the lastest "better" reel. :-)

The proof is when they advertise "smoothness" as a major feature... :rofl:
Cheers,

Mike.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:12 pm

Working bearings are better than bushes.

But bushes are more reliable.

Often the difference between a mid priced and high end reel is bearings, not only the quantity but also the quality of the bearings.

If you put some ABEC 7 bearings packed with fine grease (I use blue grease) in a mid priced reel you might be surprised how free and smooth it will be.

Booya

Post by Booya » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:50 pm

Instead of having crazy high bearing count, i'd rather have reel with better corrotion resistant or better annodised and paint. Many cheaper reel are lacking those. More bearings makes reel spin more easier but with high abec, reel can become noisy. I'd rather use low abec with high corrotion resistant bearing packed with grease.

Sad bearing count has been the major part of selling point for most reel, making most neglecting other more important part to consider. Really smooth at shop, degrades quickly after use.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:29 pm

Being I service my fishing reels for many yrs, I have pulled down my Abu Ambassaduers, Daiwa's, Penn's , Shimano's, Alvey's etc, I feel to have a high bearing count is pointless, if the bearings are cheap quality items you see in many entry level China made reels.

But on the flip side, mid to high end reels i taken apart for servicing that have 5+1 to 10+1 good quality shielded anti rust bearings, they are a benefit to the reel.

My old Abu Ambassaduer 7000's only uses bushes, but for the ultimate in work horse reliabilty & literally no maintenance you can't beat the Aussie made Alvey sidecast. :cheers:

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”