Where to take these shiny new kayaks?

kubepau

Where to take these shiny new kayaks?

Post by kubepau » Fri May 09, 2014 7:27 pm

Hi again,
I've just picked up a couple little (under 3m) kayaks for myself and the other half, and will be taking them out tomorrow on their maiden voyage. While I won't be doing any fishing tomorrow as it bores the missus to tears, I'd like to take them somewhere I can at least do a bit of recon for when I get out without her.

I'm assuming after the wet week we have had, the Yarra is probably flowing a bit much to take them up around Warrandyte (which is my usual fishing haunt, though it's been a while since I've been up there).

So, having never been to any of the bigger Eastern suburbs reservoirs (Silvan, Cardinia, Sugarloaf etc), I'm just after opinions of which one is best for a bit of exploring and getting used to the new rides. And of course, which ones are nice and kayak accessible.
We are based in Chadstone, and I have to do half a days work tomorrow, so don't want to spend too much time on the road

Really, I'll be happy with anything a bit more interesting than Karkarook.

Thanks
Phil

Milk man

Re: Where to take these shiny new kayaks?

Post by Milk man » Fri May 09, 2014 7:33 pm

if you want a big body of water I'd say Lysterfield lake would be a good option reasonably close to you but theres no fishing there.. other wise Auravale lake which is just up wellington rd before Emerald, It's not as big but it holds a good population of smallish redfin so you could fish there another time
M.I.L.F- Man I Love To Fish!

bayman

Post by bayman » Fri May 09, 2014 7:49 pm

Patterson Lakers it's a pretty cool place to take your kayak for a paddle and also nice and easy access to the water.

kubepau

Post by kubepau » Fri May 09, 2014 8:04 pm

bayman wrote:Patterson Lakers it's a pretty cool place to take your kayak for a paddle and also nice and easy access to the water.
That was the Kayak bloke's suggestion as well. Seemed to think there was some good exploring to be done there
Milk man wrote:if you want a big body of water I'd say Lysterfield lake would be a good option reasonably close to you but theres no fishing there.. other wise Auravale lake which is just up wellington rd before Emerald, It's not as big but it holds a good population of smallish redfin so you could fish there another time
Definately looks worth a peek as well. Nice and easy to get to

EDIT: Keep the suggestions coming, as I'll be heading out a bit as long as the weather holds up

bayman

Post by bayman » Fri May 09, 2014 8:27 pm

If you end up going down to Patto don't go under the bridge towards the bay it can be a bit rough around the mouth :titanic:

Return to “Kayak Fishing”