Kayak fishing for dummies

kubepau

Kayak fishing for dummies

Post by kubepau » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:10 pm

Don't ask me how, but with a December Tassie holiday in mind, I just managed to talk the "boss" into letting me buy us a couple kayaks.

I'm thinking of grabbing a couple Seak Rapids while they are on sale at Anaconda ($360 odd ea), then if they end up getting a bit of use, upgrading later on down the track (at least a better one for me, I don't forsee her's getting a heap of use).

What I'm after advice on (as well as whether the Rapids will be a total waste of money), is what accessories and add ons I'll need/want straight off the bat.

Obviously PFD's & paddles, and will be looking at better seats right away too, but also what will I be wanting to do to make it more fishing friendly.

Not looking to go out on the bay at all, just a bit of paddling around further up the Yarra, and the odd lake here and there

Also, any tips for a relative newbie to the kayak scene. I've done a bit of paddling on mates/hired kayaks, but never fished on one

Cheers,
Phil

neutral2005

Re: Kayak fishing for dummies

Post by neutral2005 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:59 pm

if your going to try out kayak fishing, best to practice in a lake or river avoid the ocean especially when the waves can flip your kayak is very dangerous.

Milk man

Post by Milk man » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:10 pm

kubepau wrote:
Not looking to go out on the bay at all, just a bit of paddling around further up the Yarra, and the odd lake here and there
Pretty sure he's not going out on the bay..........
M.I.L.F- Man I Love To Fish!

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:30 pm

kubepau wrote:I'm thinking of grabbing a couple Seak Rapids while they are on sale at Anaconda ($360 odd ea), then if they end up getting a bit of use, upgrading later on down the track (at least a better one for me, I don't forsee her's getting a heap of use).

What I'm after advice on (as well as whether the Rapids will be a total waste of money), is what accessories and add ons I'll need/want straight off the bat.

Obviously PFD's & paddles, and will be looking at better seats right away too, but also what will I be wanting to do to make it more fishing friendly.

Also, any tips for a relative newbie to the kayak scene. I've done a bit of paddling on mates/hired kayaks, but never fished on one

Cheers,
Phil
My self I think they are just pool toys - they are short - will track poorly and travel slow
so what does this mean - if you have to paddle against the river flow hope it a gental one - if you are on a lake and the wind gets up hope its behind you and you dont have to paddle into it

Dress to stay warm and not with clothing that wont dry fast -
practice remounting the kayak you may have to do that in deep water and if you fall in the yak quite offen turn upside down

check out
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
it's the safety section on Vyak have a good read there maybe things you haven't thought of
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

kubepau

Post by kubepau » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:24 am

cheaterparts wrote: My self I think they are just pool toys - they are short - will track poorly and travel slow
so what does this mean - if you have to paddle against the river flow hope it a gental one - if you are on a lake and the wind gets up hope its behind you and you dont have to paddle into it

Dress to stay warm and not with clothing that wont dry fast -
practice remounting the kayak you may have to do that in deep water and if you fall in the yak quite offen turn upside down

check out
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
it's the safety section on Vyak have a good read there maybe things you haven't thought of
Thanks, looks like I have yet another forum to read through tonight
Milk man wrote:
Pretty sure he's not going out on the bay..........
Yep, exactly. Thanks for clearing that up

skeets
Has liked: 2 times

Post by skeets » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:23 pm

there is a reason they are cheap. in kayaks you really get what you pay for.
this one is only suitable for flat water without load and close to launch - e.g. yourself without lots of gear (check the total safety weight) and on a local pond or estuary where it is calm and you don't have to paddle it far. if you try it in any of the rapids on the yarra you'll be in for a swim. I've paddled that river for 45years now.
please make sure you are wearing a PFD while on the water and tether your gear.

kubepau

Post by kubepau » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:19 pm

skeets wrote:there is a reason they are cheap. in kayaks you really get what you pay for.
this one is only suitable for flat water without load and close to launch - e.g. yourself without lots of gear (check the total safety weight) and on a local pond or estuary where it is calm and you don't have to paddle it far. if you try it in any of the rapids on the yarra you'll be in for a swim. I've paddled that river for 45years now.
please make sure you are wearing a PFD while on the water and tether your gear.

Hmm, that's really all it'll be used for at first. Just the odd sunny afternoon paddle on quiet water. No huge day/weekend trips

The roof racks for the car aren't arriving until early next week so I have a couple days to make the decision yet.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”