what kayak is better Hobie Quest or Native Slayer?

Jason.Tanti

what kayak is better Hobie Quest or Native Slayer?

Post by Jason.Tanti » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:32 pm

Hey Guys im tossing and turning between weather to get the Hobie Quest kayak or the Native Slayer Kayak, I have sent a couple of photos to show you guys the difference between the 2, they are both around the same price range, if you dont mind could you please comment below which kayak you prefer out of the 2, Thanks Jason
Attachments
VSS.png
VS.png

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Re: what kayak is better Hobie Quest or Native Slayer?

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:39 pm

Personally I would only go for those brands if I was getting a peddle kayak. There are heaps of other options in paddle kayaks, why did you go for those two?
Fishing Victoria Species Comp:

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:49 pm

Hi Jason,

I have a Kayak like the Hobie and personally prefer this style as I sit lower in the Kayak making it more stable.

I don't know the "Native Slayer" but just judging by the picture I would say the seat looks nice and comfy, BUT if you are in WPB (or PPB) with a bit of a wind, Chop/Swell I think it would be less stable than the Hobie.

Maybe ask Cheaterparts, I think he's the Kayak Pro :a_goodjob:
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

neutral2005

Post by neutral2005 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:17 pm

its quite simple,
if your gonna do some salt water fishing then the hobie quest is ideal for salt and fresh water.
native slayer is built more for fresh water. if you sit in a kayak that high in salt water and waves hitting at you, best to add on some seatbelts lol.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:32 pm

I would ask where you intend on using your kayak and have you looked at other options

I know guys that have had the Hobie Quest and they are quite good - I dont know what the Native Slayer is like
have you looked at all your options as there are a lot of good paddle yaks around
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Jason.Tanti

Post by Jason.Tanti » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:55 pm

Hey Guys, The reason why i picked the Native Slayer was because i like the idea of a nice comfy seat, the seat can be changed from high to low position, so the seat would go almost as low as the hobie in the low position, the reason why i compared it with hobie, is because hobie is hobie, everyone is always bragging about how good hobie is, and i guess they are a popular brand, i also like how the native has a bit more room to stand up, but saying that the hobie quest has a lot more storage, i would mostly be using the kayak in freshwater lakes, and i would occasional go out on the bay, but no to far out, the price that im looking at with these to yaks is about $1300 - $1500 standard with no accessories, if you know of a better kayak for that price range please comment below, or comment a kayak if its worth spending a bit more money on a better kayak, and please also let me know which is the better yak out of the 2, Thanks guys

Longshot

Post by Longshot » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:15 am

Honestly, I think If your going to outlay $1000-$1500, Don't listen to anyone's Ford Vs Holden debate,
try them both for yourself. Most decent places would let you test one. As Cheater said above there are a lot of good yaks in that price range, If you like neither, try a WaveDancer, OceanKayak and the Jackson Range (Coosa+Cuda)

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:59 am

Jason.Tanti wrote: i also like how the native has a bit more room to stand up, but saying that the hobie quest has a lot more storage, i would mostly be using the kayak in freshwater lakes, and i would occasional go out on the bay, but no to far out, the price that im looking at with these to yaks is about $1300 - $1500 standard with no accessories, if you know of a better kayak for that price range please comment below, or comment a kayak if its worth spending a bit more money on a better kayak, and please also let me know which is the better yak out of the 2, Thanks guys
Doing your research is the way to go -- if you need a craft that you need to stand up in maybe to fly fish or maybe to use lures standing
look at the wider larger type yak

also remember that the larger and wider yaks could be effected by wind making them harder to paddle in open water than a more sleek unit
Jason wrote: occasional go out on the bay, but no to far out
just to let you in on a secret the distance not to far out gets futher with time , when anyone starts kayaking a km paddling sounds a long way
after a season in the yak and lets say the Snapper are going ape sh!t 4 km out guess where you'll be heading -- thats because 4 km is not that far out
its just a heads up I these days dont think twice about paddling 20 km in a day to go fishing and dont think I'm alone doing this
Longshot wrote:Honestly, I think If your going to outlay $1000-$1500,
If you like neither, try a WaveDancer, OceanKayak and the Jackson Range (Coosa+Cuda)
Wavedance Kingfisher a very good yak brand new around $ 900
Ocean Kayaks prower 4.1 brand new around $1500
not sure the prices of Jackson yaks

of cause there are quite offen some great SH deals around
remember that on top of what ever yak you buy there are PFD and some good kayak clothing
that should be looked into as well
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Kayak Fishing”