Kayak transport help.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Kayak transport help.

Post by mazman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:31 pm

alright what sort of skills/gear do you need to be able to build one of these?
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:49 pm

If you can lift around 20 - 30 Kg's, get yourself a light weight Aluminium 2 step ladder from Bunnings etc (about $20) and put it next to your vehicle and just go up the step while holding the yak, I've done that many times. Just chuck the ladder in the back of the suv/mpv etc

Another way that works is if you have a cross brace bar running parallel with the side of the vehicle. This allows you to lift/pivot the Yak up and onto the the rear point, and then you can swing it round and lean it on the side of the cross bar inline with side doors. Once resting on this bar you then lift the back up and push it across the roof and then swing it round so full length runs the length of the vehicle. To tie it down you may be able to open the car doors and stand on the door frame area.

There are hundreds of ways :thumbsup:
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:02 pm

i have a kingfisher kayak. and i drive a subaru liberty sedan. i just put a towel on the spoiler on the boot of the car and lift the bow onto the towel. turn the yak upside down and slide it up onto the soft racks i have, i havent had any problems with the scratches on the car with the towel protecting the paint. and as far as rusting out from the salt water i always hose the car down really well at the car wash after i unload the yak. so havent had any problem with rust either. i have a really bad back and im able to do this with relative ease. it might be a lil harder on a suv without a bar of some kind to balance the yak on. but the kbars seem to be a good idea for the larger vehicles. when i eventually move up to a proangler i will get a trailer im sure.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:12 am

Tomcat1 wrote:i have a kingfisher kayak. and i drive a subaru liberty sedan. i just put a towel on the spoiler on the boot of the car and lift the bow onto the towel. turn the yak upside down and slide it up onto the soft racks i have, i havent had any problems with the scratches on the car with the towel protecting the paint. and as far as rusting out from the salt water i always hose the car down really well at the car wash after i unload the yak. so havent had any problem with rust either. i have a really bad back and im able to do this with relative ease. it might be a lil harder on a suv without a bar of some kind to balance the yak on. but the kbars seem to be a good idea for the larger vehicles. when i eventually move up to a proangler i will get a trailer im sure.
ok thanks tomcat my biggest worry wasn't the lifting but the salt rusting the car.
let me know if you want to sell the kingfisher when you move up to the pro angler
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:21 am

Tomcat1 wrote:i havent had any problems with the scratches on the car with the towel protecting the paint. and as far as rusting out from the salt water i always hose the car down really well at the car wash after i unload the yak. so havent had any problem with rust either.
Keep an eye on your car for rust even hosing the car down - the salt water finds its way into some place you just dont see untill it gets bad

My problem was the yak lived on the car 24/7 and only came off to fish --- 3 year of that the car went down hill fast
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:44 pm

yeah i always hose it off really well and take my car to the car was at least every fortnight. so i guess there's a good coat of wax helping to keep it rust free.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”