kayaker rescued

Tomcat1

kayaker rescued

Post by Tomcat1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:06 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-14/k ... ection=vic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm glad the guy is okay. i can see how it can easily happen to anyone, but it shouldn't be that hard to hold on to the side of the yak and pull your legs up to grab the rope to untangle from your legs. I'm guessing this must have been someone new to kayaking and had not practiced re entry. so anyone that is new to kayaking on this forum please take the time to practice re entry into the kayak often. make sure your very comfortable with being able to get back into the yak in deep water. if your comfortable with re entering the kayak then it will make a situation like this much easier for you. situations like this should be a reminder to us all on how easily things can go wrong on the water. everyone please be careful while out there. its a fun sport but can be very dangerous also.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Re: kayaker rescued

Post by davek » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:12 pm

Yeah well said tomcat, good on the guys who helped him and ended up with a damaged boat, :thumbsup: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:43 pm

lucky everyone is safe.Hope the boat was insured , these guys who saved this guy deserve a :thumbsup: and a holiday.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

vikodin

Post by vikodin » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:04 pm

Glad the kayakers are ok and the boaties that helped in the rescue.

On the news they said the water policeman has been nominated for a bravery award and fair enough.
But what about the boatie who jumped in and held the kayakers head out of the water until the cop got there.
Apparently this guys boat is a write off and he was in hospital overnight with hypothermia.

Who ever you blokes are your bloody legends and hero's in my book

Plas-Flicker

Post by Plas-Flicker » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:43 pm

A timely reminder to be aware, be safety concious and always carry a knife or leatherman.
Tight lines = Good Times!

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:53 pm

vikodin wrote:Glad the kayakers are ok and the boaties that helped in the rescue.

On the news they said the water policeman has been nominated for a bravery award and fair enough.
But what about the boatie who jumped in and held the kayakers head out of the water until the cop got there.
Apparently this guys boat is a write off and he was in hospital overnight with hypothermia.

Who ever you blokes are your bloody legends and hero's in my book
x 2 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

rixter

Post by rixter » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:37 pm

Good to hear everyone is ok. Although the bloke on the yak should of had a waist knife handy, in case of situations like this, to cut himself free.

Some people need to realise that a yak is not a big safe boat, nor is it a toy; and more 'on hand' tools maybe required in bad situations. (waterproof hand held radio on a belt also maybe) ?.

The yak bloke is lucky to be alive. The cops will be ok with their boat getting fixed with government funds, but the other blokes will be out of pocket if they have boat damage also. The yak bloke should have to pay for the repairs of the 'good helping citizens', or even offer to pay for the repairs ( at the very least ) , or sell the yak to pay for the repairs, whatever... I would if someone saved my life ! .

Anyway , good to hear everyone is ok.

Cheers , Rick.
Last edited by rixter on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:01 pm

Cyclists of the sea should have to be registered carry safety equipment and be registered just like boats in my view freeloaders

CrazyChenski

Post by CrazyChenski » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:54 pm

Nude up wrote:Cyclists of the sea should have to be registered carry safety equipment and be registered just like boats in my view freeloaders

In actual facts, kayakers do carry safety gears as it is in the legislation.

Does the sea need maintenance ? Does the river needs maintenance? If u think they need register, for what purpose ? If they do registerMaybe they also establish lanes on water for all boat users, as well as kayak lane as well as most of time, boat users think they own the whole sea and not bother to see other users on water.

Even better, lets stop every swimmers from visit the beach until they have get a licensing as well, as there are lots of ppl don't know how to swim and get drown.

The moral of the story is, Common sense is the key to safety, where it is kayak or boat or land base fisho. Registering a kayak is not going to give that to people (or to a boat owner either).

In my opinion.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:08 am

Mate I have to pay to fish I pay to be able to drive my boat I pay for the trailer to get my boat to the water I pay for my boat for the privilege of going on the water. As I said cyclists of the sea. Pay nothing expect everthing

Return to “Kayak Fishing”