Critter Hunt 19/1 around the jam jerrup area

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Critter Hunt 19/1 around the jam jerrup area

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:59 am

Its been a while since I was at Lang Lang/Jam Jerrup at least 3 or 4 weeks so it was time to chase some Flake on the hoof again.
There were a few guys from the Vyak site camping at Lang Lang caravan park but I wasn't staying over night.

So I had planed to launch about 8 am but was running a bit late I was on the water by 9
it didn't matter the tide was up quite high .As the wind was blowing SW and arond 8 Kts with an out going tide I thought it maybe a bit uncomfortable ( wind agaist tide )
so headed straight over to Palmers channel close to french island to get out of the wind
So an hour and a bit after lanching I was parked up and soaking baits , it was a slow trip across today pushing into an 8 kt or so head wind taking over an hour to do about 4 Km

There were a lot of small bites and a few lost baits untill the first action Eddie the eagle was on not a monster but still had a bit of fight in him
at the same time the other rod went off , of cause both these fish tangled up lines .
the second hook up I got in first a male gummy about 90 cm in lenth which was returned quickly to play with Eddie
and my realy good 99 cent 10-15 kg rod broke but still got the eagle ray to the yak

As I compete in the Mr Fishos Pairs comp and an eagle adds to our over all lenth and the beach being close that where I headed the eagle ray in tow
I landed and measured him at 106 long counting the tail - a handy extra meter on our comp

after measuring it was back in the water for eddie and he swam off with no more damage than a dented pride

while on the beach a red outback was on its way over a little bloke from way over the west side of PPB - you know that place with nice sandy beachs and no mud

I alway give this advice to the boat guys that is not to follow a kayaker in westernport and theres a good reason
another bit of advice for the non Mudbrother types is never trust a Mud brother standing on a Westernport beach Bretty ( off Vyak ) did today
when he saw me standing on fairly firm ground
its hard to see in the above pic but he got out of his yak and sunk to way past his knees and was pretty well covered in mud

as you can see it wasn't any better getting off the beach ether the dropping tide ment we had to wade out a bit futher and of cause deeper mud

after getting back on the water I headed over to a channel near stockyard point that normaly produces on the last of the run out
I wasn't let down with a 108 cm keeper
then with the tide almost bottomed out I made a move back outside JJ for the first of the run in and picked up a 110 cm fish and a second
keeper

it was still way to early to get back in at the ramp and the wind was getting up and I had a couple of keeper so I head back to LL carvan park
and had a drink with the crew , cleaned the fish and it was time to head off

I think most of the others got fish - I know that one landed 11 gummies and 2 elephants and a heap of under size schoolies we checked out the happy snaps on his go pro

another guy had a small snapper and had landed quite a few gummies

it sort of made my 3 gummies look like a slow day

so theres another day on the water and fresh flake in the fridge
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Critter Hunt 19/1 around the jam jerrup area

Post by CarlG » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:14 am

Fine work that man....your bloody good on those gummies mate...

tboner

Post by tboner » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:57 am

Well done mate great report. You certainly do go well on the gumbos

Berto Pescatore

Post by Berto Pescatore » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:56 pm

Good catch and good post

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:23 pm

Once again, well done cheater. Gotta luv the mud in wpb. Lol :lol:
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

nhillboy

Post by nhillboy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:46 pm

As already said, well done Cheater and a top report.
I'll ask a stupid question now, is your yak yellow??

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:27 pm

nhillboy wrote:I'll ask a stupid question now, is your yak yellow??
yes it was - there is a lot of squid ink and westernport mud stains now days
its a yellow wavedance kingfisher check out my avatar
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Longshot

Post by Longshot » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:52 am

Cracking Post again Cheater :) Love your reports!

GummySlayer

Post by GummySlayer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:08 pm

I was considering getting a kingfisher a while ago, But with it completely kitted out, and yak raks for the weapon (my kia rio) :/ it was looking towards 2 grand.. So i'll just wait 'til i get my ute, when i can just slide the yak in the back ;)

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:50 pm

GummySlayer wrote:I was considering getting a kingfisher a while ago, But with it completely kitted out, and yak raks for the weapon (my kia rio) :/ it was looking towards 2 grand.. So i'll just wait 'til i get my ute, when i can just slide the yak in the back ;)
I'm building a trailer atm my old ford sedan is rusting out fairly quickly and putting salt water on the roof every W/E isn't helping
I've picked up another old ford but a wagon so a trailer is looking the go to keep this car a bit longer

Longshot wrote:Cracking Post again Cheater :) Love your reports!
looks like you have been getting amonst them as well
My kayak PBs

Cheater

Return to “Kayak Fishing”