Shark encounters while kayak fishing , had any ?

Hatetangles
Has liked: 72 times

Shark encounters while kayak fishing , had any ?

Post by Hatetangles » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:47 pm

So ive been telling a friend of mine i'd like to try Kayak fishing and am close to pulling the trigger on going through with making the investment , and my mate says - aren't you worried about sharks?
I wasn't until he brought it up ! so i jumped on Google trying to research shark encounters /sightings around PPB & Westernport and thankfully there weren't any fatalities' to be found, a few sightings sure but was wondering if anyone who regularly fish's from a kayak have had any encounters?and if so where abouts and how frequent do you see them? and what kinds? From what i have researched it appears GWS are an absolute rarity, and most likley be a lot of bronze whalers? that sound about right? must be a longshot for one to come upto the kayak ? that video of the kayaker in Hawaii getting targeted by a Tiger shark has freaked me out LOL!!!

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Re: Shark encounters while kayak fishing , had any ?

Post by Sebb » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:48 am

Hatetangles wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:47 pm
So ive been telling a friend of mine i'd like to try Kayak fishing and am close to pulling the trigger on going through with making the investment , and my mate says - aren't you worried about sharks?
I wasn't until he brought it up ! so i jumped on Google trying to research shark encounters /sightings around PPB & Westernport and thankfully there weren't any fatalities' to be found, a few sightings sure but was wondering if anyone who regularly fish's from a kayak have had any encounters?and if so where abouts and how frequent do you see them? and what kinds? From what i have researched it appears GWS are an absolute rarity, and most likley be a lot of bronze whalers? that sound about right? must be a longshot for one to come upto the kayak ? that video of the kayaker in Hawaii getting targeted by a Tiger shark has freaked me out LOL!!!
Apart from gummy and banjo (because I caught them), never...
I've only been fishing PPB though, and WPB once.

The crazy shark species that attack are usually tiger, bull, and sometimes bronzy and great white. Bronzy and great white can be in WPB and PPB but quite rare to encounter them, especially on kayak (and fishing the shallows near land). Tiger and bull are in the warmer areas.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:12 pm

I fish about 4 times a week for heaps of different species
Only Sharks seen or caught are 7 Gill,Gummy,Draught or Port Jackson.
A load of rubbish from medias about Man Eating Sharks to frighten people and sell more papers or data
The only Sharks I would be worried about are Car sharks or Some other types trying to take your Dosh

Hatetangles

Post by Hatetangles » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:27 pm

Sebb wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:48 am
Hatetangles wrote:

The crazy shark species that attack are usually tiger, bull, and sometimes bronzy and great white. Bronzy and great white can be in WPB and PPB but quite rare to encounter them, especially on kayak (and fishing the shallows near land). Tiger and bull are in the warmer areas.
That's re-assuring , yeah i can't imagine myself getting too far out from land , especially at WPB as that current can be quite strong, i di see they sell these things shark shields , interesting but not for me i don't think,well not now anyway hahah

Hatetangles

Post by Hatetangles » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:39 pm

denis barden wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:12 pm
A load of rubbish from medias about Man Eating Sharks to frighten people and sell more papers or data
The only Sharks I would be worried about are Car sharks or Some other types trying to take your Dosh
4 times a week ! that's awesome! yeah im starting to think it's nothing to worry about, I'm sure there's a lot more realistic things i need to be weary of... told my mate i'm more scared of humans taking up all the space on the piers hahah,

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:32 pm

Hatetangles wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:39 pm
denis barden wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:12 pm
4 times a week ! that's awesome! yeah im starting to think it's nothing to worry about, I'm sure there's a lot more realistic things i need to be weary of... told my mate i'm more scared of humans taking up all the space on the piers hahah,
The humans on the pier would be more of a danger than the sharks in the water, in my opinion. I fish regularly in ppb and have never seen any sharks to be concerned about. Of course there is risk in everything you do, but I think a shark attack on the kayak in ppb would be fairly low in the list.

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:27 am

Hatetangles wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:27 pm
Sebb wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:48 am
Hatetangles wrote:

That's re-assuring , yeah i can't imagine myself getting too far out from land , especially at WPB as that current can be quite strong, i di see they sell these things shark shields , interesting but not for me i don't think,well not now anyway hahah
Statistically there are more people died from car accident than shark attacks.

When the weather is bad, fish the piers. Less people.
When weather is good, fish on kayak. Safer and avoid the pier crowds.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Kayak Fishing”