Kayak car topping solutions / advice needed

Hatetangles
Has liked: 72 times

Kayak car topping solutions / advice needed

Post by Hatetangles » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:27 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a Hobie Compass Kayak, and i'm a bit unsure how/what will be the best method to get it up onto the top of my Mazda CX 5?
Ive done a fair bit of research and there seems to be heaps of rack systems / lifting aids and hacks, its all getting a bit confusing.
The side arm bar that connects to roof racks looks good?but then the suction cap rollers looks like a fairly simple method? and then ive seen on youtube some people using shower mats LOL, and then theres these side loader systems.I plan on seeking advice from SLH in Mornington, but was hoping to get some feedback from actual kayak fishos as well.PS i don't have a tow bar option, and does the kayak need to be strapped upside down?
one thing i was wondering is do i need to put some type of padding on the actual roof racks so when i push the yak up on top of the racks the underside of the yak doesnt get scratched up? would be great to get some solid advice ! thanks !!

Sneaky1
Has liked: 71 times

Re: Kayak car topping solutions / advice needed

Post by Sneaky1 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:44 pm

Hey tangles, this is my approach:

1) A camp chair behind the car
2) "reverse" the yak while on its cart onto the chair
3) lift the bow so the trolley falls out
4) turn the yak 180 so it's upside down
5) lift the bow onto the roof
6) keep balancing the yak, move towards the stern
7) lift and slide forward

A little tricky but I do at least 20 outings a season like this. Mine's a Hobie Revo, a little longer than Compass.
An old car too - so I don't care if it gets scratched.

Less is more :tu:

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:32 am

Hatetangles wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:27 pm
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a Hobie Compass Kayak, and i'm a bit unsure how/what will be the best method to get it up onto the top of my Mazda CX 5?
Ive done a fair bit of research and there seems to be heaps of rack systems / lifting aids and hacks, its all getting a bit confusing.
The side arm bar that connects to roof racks looks good?but then the suction cap rollers looks like a fairly simple method? and then ive seen on youtube some people using shower mats LOL, and then theres these side loader systems.I plan on seeking advice from SLH in Mornington, but was hoping to get some feedback from actual kayak fishos as well.PS i don't have a tow bar option, and does the kayak need to be strapped upside down?
one thing i was wondering is do i need to put some type of padding on the actual roof racks so when i push the yak up on top of the racks the underside of the yak doesnt get scratched up? would be great to get some solid advice ! thanks !!
Rhino universal side loader is awesome. Won't hurt your back.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Hatetangles

Post by Hatetangles » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:16 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Sneaky1 & Sebb !

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:47 pm

Hey Seb,

They sell a loading block specifically for the compass that you can purchase.
I would get the loading block + rhino rack side loader.
Between those two you will be covered.

On a side note, I have a Hobie Compass that has been wet once, sitting in my garage and for sale.
Complete with wheels, 180MD with Kick up fins, loading block , the works.

Let me know if you want to buy it off me, we can talk price
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:31 am

I agree with the side loader, I use this when trailering my kayak isn’t an option. Flipping the kayak upside down before lifting an end onto the side loader helps. When trying to load the kayak upright I found the bottom of the hull creates a rocking point when one end is up on the side loader, making it want to either roll into or away from the side of the car.

I don’t know if you have experience in car topping already or not, IMO A few things to be mindful of when car topping - if regularly roof topping after fishing in salt water, any water runoff from the kayak will promote rust around the roof and gutters/trims of your car. Typically roof topped kayaks are upside down, as the gunnels sit flat on the racks, and the aerodynamics of the bottom of the hull force the kayak down onto the racks rather than lifting it off the racks on the freeway if it were stored upright. If possible, an additional rope from the front handle of the kayak down to near the front bumper as a backup in case a tie down fails/unhooks is a great idea. Wiping the kayak down outside and inside with a micro fibre cloth will reduce the saltwater runoff, but the water still seems to drain from somewhere (rod holders, around seals, etc.), at least in my case. If trailering isn’t an option, giving the car roof area a thorough rinse to wash away any salt water and sand after each trip will be a worthwhile exercise, to try and keep the rust at bay.
The compass will be a cracking kayak :tu:

Hatetangles

Post by Hatetangles » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:40 pm

Great insights thanks Tim399,you gave me plenty more things I need to think about. Il be going with the Rhino universal side loader.
I went down to SLH and they said the Compass has got a flat bottom and that there is no need to flip it. I asked if i should get the Rhino rack kayak cradles and was told not necessary because the bottom of the kayak is nearly flat,but yeah i too was a bit concerned wind getting under it on the freeway.hopefully it all comes to plan soon!

Return to “Kayak Fishing”