Milk crate alternative for kayak

Sebb
Has liked: 3007 times

Re: Milk crate alternative for kayak

Post by Sebb » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:56 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:44 pm
Something else worth considering is re-entry access for whichever kayak you end up buying. For this reason I have left a clear path from the stern of my kayak to the seat as it is easiest to re-mount from the stern, because the sides are a little on the high side with the rails and fishing rod holders. If there was a crate or esky taking up the rear well I would have to scramble over this in presumably rough weather (less likely to capsize in calm weather).
Safety should always come before convenience :thumbsup:
Fair point. What's the alternative solution for storage? if its not a crate behind the seat. Seems to be very common and popular to have a crate behind the seat.
Often rods and net. More obstacles for re-entry via stern.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:18 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:56 pm
Tim399 wrote:
Something else worth considering is re-entry access for whichever kayak you end up buying. For this reason I have left a clear path from the stern of my kayak to the seat as it is easiest to re-mount from the stern, because the sides are a little on the high side with the rails and fishing rod holders. If there was a crate or esky taking up the rear well I would have to scramble over this in presumably rough weather (less likely to capsize in calm weather).
Fair point. What's the alternative solution for storage? if its not a crate behind the seat. Seems to be very common and popular to have a crate behind the seat.

Tim makes a very good point. As I'm a Yak Hack and not knowing much about it, I was thinking that too "What's the alternative solution for storage?", with the limited options and space on a Yak

Cheers Bugs

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:35 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:56 pm
Tim399 wrote:
For my catch I use one of these as a catch bag https://seasherpa.com.au/products/fish- ... catch-bags
It can lay flat in the rear well, and would be easily traversed if need be. For additional rod storage I made pvc holders that are in a row front to back, using the standard flush mount holders. These can be removed easily as they slip in snug.
Note - I lay the cart down in the rear well when on the water
6583AC4C-8104-436B-AB3C-6BCABC5522AA.jpeg
As for anchor, manual bilge, etc. I store them beside and behind the seat.
As for rods, I dont have any super expensive set ups as I expect that I will one day capsize, and i would prefer to lose them rather than have them leashed and be tangled up in leashes under the kayak.

The Hobie PA14 has a nice sized centre hatch which is plenty big (possibly too big) for tackle, tools, sunnies, etc.

I am not all that familiar with the layout of the native pedal kayaks, but these are the adjustments I made when I got my PA. My last kayak had lower sides and was easier to re mount from the sides so I had a crate with rod holders in the rear similar to most set ups.

Looking forward to seeing how you set up your new beast :a_goodjob:

Sebb
Has liked: 3007 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:13 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:35 pm
For my catch I use one of these as a catch bag https://seasherpa.com.au/products/fish- ... catch-bags
It can lay flat in the rear well, and would be easily traversed if need be. For additional rod storage I made pvc holders that are in a row front to back, using the standard flush mount holders. These can be removed easily as they slip in snug.
Note - I lay the cart down in the rear well when on the water
6583AC4C-8104-436B-AB3C-6BCABC5522AA.jpeg
As for anchor, manual bilge, etc. I store them beside and behind the seat.
As for rods, I dont have any super expensive set ups as I expect that I will one day capsize, and i would prefer to lose them rather than have them leashed and be tangled up in leashes under the kayak.

The Hobie PA14 has a nice sized centre hatch which is plenty big (possibly too big) for tackle, tools, sunnies, etc.

I am not all that familiar with the layout of the native pedal kayaks, but these are the adjustments I made when I got my PA. My last kayak had lower sides and was easier to re mount from the sides so I had a crate with rod holders in the rear similar to most set ups.

Looking forward to seeing how you set up your new beast :a_goodjob:
Thanks Tim. I like your pvc rod holder. Easy reach on both sides.

This is titan 10.5, though it's wide, it doesn't have that big centre hatch like pa.
rps20190903_210826.jpg
Significant difference is that slayer 10 is about 10cm less in width. Even less storage.
So a crate is almost necessity.
rps20190903_210927.jpg
Thinking and planning itself is already so much fun! It's exciting just thinking about how I'm gonna play around with the kayak.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:06 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:13 pm
Tim399 wrote:

Tim RH.PNG
Tim, not much amazes me gizmo wise but that Rod Holder Storage set-up has blown my mind.

That joining U shape across to both sides is genius, pure genius, to stabilise both sides, stops twisting, firms things up AND is a rod holder as well.

Anyone with a Yak , , , , copy Tim :thumbsup:

Cheers, Bugatti

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:40 pm

Tim399 wrote:

I agree, rods are never work your safety , , , , tangling in leashes can only end badly.

But how's this for a solution NO LEASHES, just a canopy loop fixed to the opposite side of a "key" type U shape cut into the PVC tube. The canopy loop, loops over the reel stem, holding the rod/reel in the tube and the loop stays in position due to the U.

Try it out on a blank spare piece, should work :-D

Canopy Clip.PNG

Tube key.PNG

Cheers, Bugatti

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:19 am

Bugatti wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:06 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:13 pm
Tim399 wrote:

Tim RH.PNG

Tim, not much amazes me gizmo wise but that Rod Holder Storage set-up has blown my mind.

That joining U shape across to both sides is genius, pure genius, to stabilise both sides, stops twisting, firms things up AND is a rod holder as well.

Anyone with a Yak , , , , copy Tim :thumbsup:

Cheers, Bugatti
The sides has been done before (can’t take credit for that one) but the joining method of the two sides I came up with, as the other way I’ve seen it done the pvc goes into a receiver that is screwed and glue to the kayak, however I didn’t want to make any extra holes to my kayak. The centre piece prevents each side from spinning and keeps them more rigid. The centre piece isn’t glued in at one end, this way the whole set up can be broken down and stored in the car taking up less room

Return to “Kayak Fishing”