Kayak trout fishing

20-20

Kayak trout fishing

Post by 20-20 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:21 pm

Hey lads,

With trout season closing I'm thinking about buying a kayak to hit lake Elidon but Im struggling to find much info about trout fishing from a yak. Sorta want to know what Im getting into before I purchase one. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good source of information? or give me a run down of what my tactics would be? e.g. trolling all day? cast and retrieve?

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Kayak trout fishing

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:05 pm

20-20 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:21 pm
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good source of information? or give me a run down of what my tactics would be? e.g. trolling all day? cast and retrieve?
I'm no fresh water fisho but have pulled trout and reddies from the Howqua arm of Eldon by trolling HBs - chase up some info over on Vyak there are better fresh water kayak fishos than me and they would be better to give advise
20-20 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:21 pm
With trout season closing I'm thinking about buying a kayak to hit lake Elidon but Im struggling to find much info about trout fishing from a yak. Sorta want to know what Im getting into before I purchase one.
I'll put my 2 cents in here if you are going to be fishing open lakes treat them as a bay when looking at your kayak if you are going to paddle look for at least a 4 meter kayak - trolling distances are easier if you have a good tracking unit - short kayaks are not your friend here
also short kayaks aren't to flash on choppy water and large bodys of water like Eldon can get rough

there are also pedal kayaks that may work out for you again chat to guys that use them - I still prefur a paddle
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:58 pm

Just troll the usual trout lures. tassies and minnows, Pedal kayaks are easier to troll from, but cost more coin.

Dress well and learn to remount, not as easy as you may think, as eildon water can be damn cold in winter and you dont want to spend any time swimming.

Second Cheaters advice about kayak size, if you find yourself on the wrong side of the lake, and you have to cross to get back, when the wind picks up it can get rough.

Usable ramp levels here:
https://www.g-mwater.com.au/downloads/g ... _RAMPS.pdf

Eildon water levels here (currently at 37%):
https://www.g-mwater.com.au/water-resou ... age-levels

20-20

Post by 20-20 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:31 pm

Thanks guys, never done any lake fishing so all new to me.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:56 pm

Trolling around would be your best bet. Have a tassie/spinner out one side and a deep diver out the other. Don't be scared to have the lures way out back.
Once you get to know the area you're fishing you can start casting at likely snags or areas if you want but trolling is probably the most effective.

You don't need to travel far for trout at Eildon. Just around the corner from the boat ramp there is the area where the power lines hang over the lake. I've caught decent trout in this area.

All the little bays will hold trout and are well sheltered.

When it rains or the snow is melting fish the areas where the rain/melt is running into the lake.

Good luck.

Cheers, Anth

viewtopic.php?f=149&t=20973

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:11 pm

I've done a bit of fishing on lakes on the yak. A pedal yak is the way to go, and if it can go in reverse even better. I found in my paddle yak that I was constantly needing to put the rod down and pick up the paddle to re-position which got super annoying.

I've tended to troll around looking for fishy spots then bring the lines in to cast into areas I think there might be fish hanging out. Having a sounder helps, if you see a bunch of fish you can go back and forwards over them to try and get a bite.

If you're trolling a Tassie Devil make sure you have one of those flat things that stop the line from twisting, once I bought one in after a day of trolling and the line was so badly twisted I got wind knots every cast so I had to cut the top 30m off.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

yogogorilla
Has liked: 1 time

Post by yogogorilla » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:41 pm

Fished Eildon a little over the last two years, mainly from boat. Just got my first kayak and will be heading up there soon.

We fish the big arm around to Howqua bay normally. This time of year, the trout will be up and looking to feed. Recommend different size lures or Tassies. Don't be afraid to chuck a big lure on either, we normally ran 3 - 4 rods from the boat. Sometimes the bigger lure will attract a fish looking to ensure its territory remains safe (especially during the colder months).

I have had no real success bait fishing in the Lake. Carp. Carp and more Carp.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”