Sounder for kayak angling.

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Re: Sounder for kayak angling.

Post by croe04 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:20 am

Hey guys, thought i'd hop on this thread instead of starting a new one
With the recent purchase of my kayak i'm looking at getting a sounder, wondering which one you guys would recommend. I was thinking $99-199, and the main model I was considering was the Lowrance Hook2 4x with GPS, but any other models with a similar price would be good. The hook2 5x looks good with the clarity of the downscan imaging but it slaps another 120 dollars on the price tag. Garmin & Hummingbird look to have good products but theirs are also a bit above my budget.

Also looking at getting the FPV Power 12v 7ah sounder battery, anyone used these and are they any good?

cheers

croe

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:17 am

I’ve got the 17.5ah FPV, can highly recommend it
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:04 pm

that FPV battery is the waterproof lithium and light battery? I dont have it but was gonna get it at capacity sports. No need to hide it, drill for the cabling etc.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

croe04

Post by croe04 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:43 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:04 pm
that FPV battery is the waterproof lithium and light battery? I dont have it but was gonna get it at capacity sports. No need to hide it, drill for the cabling etc.
Yeah they come in a waterproof case, the 7ah one weighs like 400g if I remember correctly. I'm getting more for the wall charger and plugs for the sounder, makes my job a lot easier. Still gonna do a bit of drilling and use the hobie through hull wiring kit because I like the clean look and because of peace of mind.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:24 pm

croe04 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:20 am

Also looking at getting the FPV Power 12v 7ah sounder battery, anyone used these and are they any good?

cheers

croe
yer I use the 7 ah FPV - I put my lowrance elite 5 hdi on the yak last sunday ( I haven't used it for a while ) these use a bit of power with the GPS
it ran for about 6 and 1/2 hours before going off

this is ok when bait fishing as you turn the thing off when at anchor but not much good if you are doing a big day off shore
I really need 8 - 10 hours life

I'm looking at upgrading to the 17.5 ah and keeping the 7 ah just to run my nav light

thats a bit of a pain as Ill have to make another battery box
IMG_0921.JPG
this battery box will be to small so I'll have to make another
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:29 pm

I'm thinking I'll have to come up with some way of recharging my battery while camping because I reckon a couple of days on the water with the (soon to be purchased) EchoMap will be all I'll get out of 17.5ah. Hopefully charging from the car won't **** the thing up.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:07 pm

4liters wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:29 pm
I'm thinking I'll have to come up with some way of recharging my battery while camping because I reckon a couple of days on the water with the (soon to be purchased) EchoMap will be all I'll get out of 17.5ah. Hopefully charging from the car won't **** the thing up.
FPV sell a cigarette lighter charger for there batteries - I bought 1 and used it at Portland last Aust day Comp week end - just plugged it in to a socket in my camper and charged it with the 12 volt system

it is slower than the 240 volt charger but still works ok
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:40 pm

croe04 wrote:
With the recent purchase of my kayak i'm looking at getting a sounder, wondering which one you guys would recommend. I was thinking $99-199, and the main model I was considering was the Lowrance Hook2 4x with GPS, but any other models with a similar price would be good. The hook2 5x looks good with the clarity of the downscan imaging but it slaps another 120 dollars on the price tag. Garmin & Hummingbird look to have good products but theirs are also a bit above my budget.

cheers

croe
Just keep in mind the GPS on a hook 4 is only coordinates, waypoints and tracking, there's no map at all

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:45 am

croe04 wrote:

cheers

croe
With the budget you are looking at I would recommend putting more money into the sounder and using a lead acid battery initially and then you can save up for the lithium. The fpvs are great batteries but the additional performance you'll get from putting that extra hundred or so into the sounder outweighs the advantages of the battery imo.

I have a 17.5 ah fpv on my kayak for running my sounder and Livewell when I'm using it
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

croe04

Post by croe04 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:23 pm

mazman wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:45 am
croe04 wrote:

cheers

croe
With the budget you are looking at I would recommend putting more money into the sounder and using a lead acid battery initially and then you can save up for the lithium. The fpvs are great batteries but the additional performance you'll get from putting that extra hundred or so into the sounder outweighs the advantages of the battery imo.

I have a 17.5 ah fpv on my kayak for running my sounder and Livewell when I'm using it
I've heard a few issues around lead acid/deep cycle marine batteries with charging them and such, and I also don't have a charger for a conventional battery which would add more cost. I'm also pretty new to using a sounder so features beyond CHIRP sonar is a bit beyond me, so I think the hook2 4x should be ok. I'm still weighing up my options though, thanks for the recommendations.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”