Rip . Hasting kayak man

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Rip . Hasting kayak man

Post by 4liters » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:18 pm

rb85 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:13 pm
All I can find online is someone missing off somers.
Assume it's the same story as bowl shared, RIP to the person who passed.
4L do you know more about it?
Only what I've seen on the news and on Vyak, and been told by CarlG
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:20 pm

4liters wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:18 pm
rb85 wrote:
Thats fair my first thought was that it would be pretty rough in the bay for a kayak sad story.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:21 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:11 pm
May he rest in peace.
Sorry for his family and friends. No fishing worth a life. It should be having a good time.

I'm scared to be on a yak in the bay now.
I can swim, but not a good swimmer. The panic is the harest to handle.
I can't swim far, but the trips I often go on even a strong swimmer would be in strife without a PFD. In really **** weather where I might get separated from the yak if I fell out I attach the drybag with my flares and EPIRB to my PFD so they come with me and I can summon a rescue. Haven't needed them yet but that day may come eventually and I'll be ready.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:25 pm

rb85 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:20 pm
4liters wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:18 pm
rb85 wrote:
Thats fair my first thought was that it would be pretty rough in the bay for a kayak sad story.
I've been out of town so don't know what the conditions were like on WPB, but having a quick look just now at what was forecast for the area I'd have stayed at home.

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:30 pm

Seb85 wrote:
May he rest in peace.
Sorry for his family and friends. No fishing worth a life. It should be having a good time.

It really is sad news to hear.

Don’t be afraid at all Seb, for the most part the bay is a safe and exciting place to explore. It comes down to learning the area, how to read the weather (both forecasts and what is happening around you), make a judgement call on whether it is safe to go out and have backup measures (PLB, somewhere to land if the weather turns nasty, notify someone of launch and return times before you launch, etc) in case the unexpected happens. If you want to learn a bit more about kayak safety joining a kayak group or buddying up with an experienced paddler will help a great deal. I feel most at ease if I am out with another paddler.

I fish the altona and Avalon areas with other kayakers often, if you feel you would be more comfortable fishing with some company let me know

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:57 am

Tim399 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:30 pm
Seb85 wrote:
May he rest in peace.

It really is sad news to hear.

Don’t be afraid at all Seb, for the most part the bay is a safe and exciting place to explore. It comes down to learning the area, how to read the weather (both forecasts and what is happening around you), make a judgement call on whether it is safe to go out and have backup measures (PLB, somewhere to land if the weather turns nasty, notify someone of launch and return times before you launch, etc) in case the unexpected happens. If you want to learn a bit more about kayak safety joining a kayak group or buddying up with an experienced paddler will help a great deal. I feel most at ease if I am out with another paddler.

I fish the altona and Avalon areas with other kayakers often, if you feel you would be more comfortable fishing with some company let me know
Thanks Tim. Much appreciated.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:39 am

4liters wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:21 pm
Seb85 wrote:
May he rest in peace.

I can swim, but not a good swimmer. The panic is the hardest to handle.
I can't swim far, but the trips I often go on even a strong swimmer would be in strife without a PFD. In really **** weather where I might get separated from the yak if I fell out I attach the drybag with my flares and EPIRB to my PFD so they come with me and I can summon a rescue. Haven't needed them yet but that day may come eventually and I'll be ready.
swimming or being a weak swimmer is the least of your problems once in the water , even strong swimmers have the problem of Hypothermia - this is the killer
First job is to stay a float and going out without a PFD is just stupid in any weather - as your body core cools you loose all sorts of muscle control so even gripping a kayak is a problem - being dressed for immersion , clothing that keeps you warm if in the water is a must - having a craft that is designed to do the job is another on the list - being able to remount that kayak quickly is another

it's a sad fact that a lot of simple things may have saved this guy - we will never know
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:56 am

"The man was paddling with his friend at South Beach, near Somers, when he fell from his kayak and disappeared shortly before 11am on Sunday."

Any comments about what happened at this stage are purely conjecture. Even the media is not always accurate with what they report and it will perhaps go to the coroner and usually by the time the coroner hands down its findings most people have forgotten about the incident.

It is possible that this person had a heart attack, a stroke or an epileptic seizure, we simply do not know.

To fall from a kayak and disappear makes it sound like they were not wearing a buoyancy vest, that is possible and it is also possible that they were wearing an inflatable vest. again all this is purely conjecture.

However, when things like this happen it can be useful to review personal water safety generally, but it must be remembered that we do not know the unique factors that lead to this tragedy.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:58 am

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:58 am

Return to “Kayak Fishing”