Just bought a kayak.

baitworms

Re: Just bought a kayak.

Post by baitworms » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:44 pm

OK those that have that thought go forth and die.
Nobody can protect you from suicide, and that is what you are saying.
"OH yea of little faith" go forth and die.
Nobody is willing to save the forsaken\.
But then again you put the Coast Guard in action to save your stupid arse.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:45 pm

By the way my kayak and I handled all PPB could dish up during an average 30 knot westerly... Unless I'm posting from beyond the grave that is
Attachments
Screenshot_20180627-204135.jpg

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:33 am

baitworms wrote:
OK body recovery is planned for but at what cost to your family.
Most people fishing on PPB have a 2.4 beam 5metre boat that can cop a wave,
Not sink on the first I metre wave.
Just think a wave 500 mm over the top that flattens you all extra's within the kayak sink.
And the water gets very cold very quick and you think, somebodies coming for you for being a nut.
8 mins at best your dead.
Why do you rely on other people for your crazy actions.
I see the problem here Baitworms and I half agree with some of this ,some kayaks a 500 mm wave maybe hard to deal with most it wouldn't be with a small amount of practice
A 2.8 meter long kayak like the Dragon would not be even close to my pick as an a bay kayak and really should only be used on really good condition days - the reason is that they are really slow and into a wind over 8 kts become real hard work
Myself I tend to tell guys that wont to head out on the bays you need at least a 4 meter long fishing kayak as they have the speed to head into a wind or tide flow - once to kayak starts getting longer they also get narrower that gives less primary stability this is an asset in bigger seas

then if we start looking at over 5 meter long fishing kayaks built for offshore both bays unless are really bad are no real problem for example an average 5 meter boat would struggle on a surf beach try launching at Woolamai off the beach and heading out through the surf and returning most off shore fishing skis can and do surf launch to get out
I caught my first long tail tuna back in april at Scotts head and said hello to the surfers heading in and out through 1 meter surf ( a little more power in surf than bay waves )

there is a good reason I point people to the safety section on Vyak when I see new people taking up the sport I love ( kayak fishing ) that is there is info on what to wear ( to help stave off Hypothermia )
what to practice and many other ways to try to keep safe
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:19 am

baitworms wrote:OK those that have that thought go forth and die.
Nobody can protect you from suicide, and that is what you are saying.
"OH yea of little faith" go forth and die.
Nobody is willing to save the forsaken\.
But then again you put the Coast Guard in action to save your stupid arse.
Hope you're not saying I should wear personnel erpib to go surfing....cant go through life wrapped in cotton wool

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:27 am

cobby wrote:
baitworms wrote:
Tim399 wrote:you dont know what you are talking about.
and i do have an epirb - in case something does not go to plan. just as the many boaties on PPB do.
Just think a wave 500 mm over the top that flattens you all extra's within the kayak sink.
And the water gets very cold very quick and you think, somebodies coming for you for being a nut.
If a 5m boat had a 2.4m beam I'd be getting the highest possible extras cover on the private health insurance because by god you'd need every last cent spent on your back in such a boat!
Depends how hard you ride the boat.
I been out in a 2.5 mt swell at bermagui and different day half meter chop on westenport in the 5.2mt quintrex and my wasnt too bad when i got back.
I dont drive as hard as others in those conditions so i didnt find it a problem

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:25 pm

smile0784 wrote:
cobby wrote:
baitworms wrote:
and i do have an epirb - in case something does not go to plan. just as the many boaties on PPB do.
If a 5m boat had a 2.4m beam I'd be getting the highest possible extras cover on the private health insurance because by god you'd need every last cent spent on your back in such a boat!
I been out in a 2.5 mt swell at bermagui and different day half meter chop on westenport in the 5.2mt quintrex and my wasnt too bad when i got back.
But the beam of the quinny is no where near 2.4m. If it was, it'd be an even worse ride no matter how hard or soft you drive it. So bad, that only the absolute dumbest of people would buy one

The 233 Formula has a 2.4m beam, it's also over 7m long! A Haines 565L is just shy of 6m long and is only 2.2m across. ****, even the very wide CruiseCraft 530 Explorer is only 2.33m wide at 5.75m long! So again, 2.4m beam on a 5m boat is a recipe for chronic back pain in very little time

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:42 pm

A DECENT kayak in EXPERIENCED hands is safer than a small tinny in rough whether, you cant swamp a kayak and if it tips you can flip it over, climb back aboard and continue, neither does it sink bar structural failure.

Entry level kayaks in novice hands are a different matter however. Hence Cheaters constant reminders, which I agree with.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:56 pm

cobby wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
cobby wrote:
baitworms wrote:
But the beam of the quinny is no where near 2.4m. If it was, it'd be an even worse ride no matter how hard or soft you drive it. So bad, that only the absolute dumbest of people would buy one

The 233 Formula has a 2.4m beam, it's also over 7m long! A Haines 565L is just shy of 6m long and is only 2.2m across. sh*t, even the very wide CruiseCraft 530 Explorer is only 2.33m wide at 5.75m long! So again, 2.4m beam on a 5m boat is a recipe for chronic back pain in very little time
Not all boats are made the same though :-D

https://www.polycraft.com.au/model-rang ... re-console

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:09 pm

There will always be people who think that a 3m boat is still ok for the rip. (yes I have personally witnessed this)
Now not everyone are the same either, everyone has their own opinion on matters.
You can only Bring the horse to the water so to speak…

Now for the Guys in the 3m Polycraft tuff tender that was in the rip,
He could either be thinking along the lines of , well theres about 40 other boats out there in the rip, so if **** hits the fan someone will save me, but I doubt he will be thinking the same if he was on his own out there. Or perhaps this is what he does most times and is comfortable doing it day in day out.

Plenty of kayaks in PPB on any given day when the weather is pretty good, but then theres the others that seem to be comfortable fishing offshore in their kayaks chasing big fish, and then there’s people like me that start shaking when 20knots and 3m swells are predicted when I know we are going out in a 6m boat.

cantcatchem

Post by cantcatchem » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:42 pm

laneends wrote:A DECENT kayak in EXPERIENCED hands is safer than a small tinny in rough whether, you cant swamp a kayak and if it tips you can flip it over, climb back aboard and continue, neither does it sink bar structural failure.

Entry level kayaks in novice hands are a different matter however. Hence Cheaters constant reminders, which I agree with.
Provided you don't die of hyperthermia when you are 20 k's out and have to paddle back wet, I think that you are always at risk in a kayak and a boat, plenty of experienced boaties have died unexpectedly

Return to “Kayak Fishing”