Kayak Recommendations

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Kayak Recommendations

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:44 am

Hello Guys ,

Looking to getting a kayak this spring/summer.
Mostly fish freshwater, will be using it along the Yarra and the Nong, with the occasional trip the the Murray or the ovens.

Factors I am particular about:
- Foot Pedals
-Ability to be a car topper, I can get roof racks on my Prado Installed.

I am a total Kayak noob , any and all help appreciated.
I live in a rental and having a boat isnt an option currently.

Mostly lure fishing for Bream,EP, Murray cod.

95 kilos and 6 feet tall.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Kayak Recommendations

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:57 am

have you asked the kayaking pages on FB?
quite a few pages there that would give you a good insight.

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:00 pm

purple5ive wrote:have you asked the kayaking pages on FB?
Will look into that now, thank you
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:04 pm

Get a s/h Hobie, they're pretty cheap at the moment. There was and may still be a 2013 Revo for sale with a bunch of bits and pieces for 2.5k
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:12 pm

smokin_reels wrote:Hello Guys ,

Mostly fish freshwater, will be using it along the Yarra and the Nong, with the occasional trip the the Murray or the ovens.

- Foot Pedals

it's always hard to fit someone else up with a kayak untill they have a full miles up in one - I don't use a pedal yak myself but I'll have a go in the Hobie range we'll start at the top and work down -- the PA 12 and 14 super stable on flat water - stand up fishing , fly fishing and casting super easy in fact it would be the first choice of all bream fishos - how ever they are heavy , wide so if access to the water is not easy ether is getting this yak to the water and if the drive fails a ***** to paddle ( note are very poor in rough conditions )
the Outback probably the best all rounder in there range still not real good in rough water and are quite slow into chop
both of the above will get you onto the bays as well as rivers also remember that the drives are under the boat and can collect structure and bend parts in the drive
I think both Scott Lovig ( Mornington ) and Rod Bendings ( inverloch )both do days so you can test them

can't help you with other pedal drive boats as I really dont pay attention to them some one else may know them better
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:12 pm

4liters wrote:Get a s/h Hobie, they're pretty cheap at the moment. There was and may still be a 2013 Revo for sale with a bunch of bits and pieces for 2.5k

Thank you!

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:14 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
smokin_reels wrote:Hello Guys ,

- Foot Pedals

it's always hard to fit someone else up with a kayak untill they have a full miles up in one - I don't use a pedal yak myself but I'll have a go in the Hobie range we'll start at the top and work down -- the PA 12 and 14 super stable on flat water - stand up fishing , fly fishing and casting super easy in fact it would be the first choice of all bream fishos - how ever they are heavy , wide so if access to the water is not easy ether is getting this yak to the water and if the drive fails a ***** to paddle ( note are very poor in rough conditions )
the Outback probably the best all rounder in there range still not real good in rough water and are quite slow into chop
both of the above will get you onto the bays as well as rivers also remember that the drives are under the boat and can collect structure and bend parts in the drive
I think both Scott Lovig ( Mornington ) and Rod Bendings ( inverloch )both do days so you can test them

can't help you with other pedal drive boats as I really dont pay attention to them some one else may know them better

Thank you , I shall look into them . Best to take a test ride and see what I would be comfortable in.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:15 pm

purple5ive wrote:have you asked the kayaking pages on FB?
you would probably get better info off Vyak - FB does have a lot of guys that know there sh!t but you also get a lot I wouldn't go anywhere with

one thing about forums like here or Vyak you can look through a guys old posts a work out quickly if they tend to know what there talking about
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Paul Foot

Post by Paul Foot » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:41 pm

I own a Hobie Mirage Sport, the smallest of the Hobie pedal drives, used for bays, rivers, inshore, estuary fishing and can recommend it for those purposes. It is easy to get on and off the roof, transport to the water and very stable to fish in and manoeuvre, I don't stand up to fish in it though. I think it is rated to 105Kg so at your size it might be a bit too small and maybe look at a slightly larger model. Pedal drives are excellent and make it easy to cover distance and deal with wind and tides. The round hatches on this model are very poor and don't seal properly, not sure if they have improved them now but that is my only complaint.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:57 pm

If you are fishing rivers etc, consider how portable it is ie. you can slide a hobie sport or revo 11 down launches you have no chance with a big PA or even an outback. Do you want to stand up and cast etc

How much $$ do you have? Pedal kayaks are not cheap, they have moving parts so you can skimp on quality or availability of spare parts. New hobies have reverse, old ones dont.

Then there are the Native models of pedal kayaks.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”