Kings Kraft Kayaks

Clintos

Kings Kraft Kayaks

Post by Clintos » Thu May 25, 2017 12:05 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting into kayak fishing as something different and I think the pedal powered options would be the way to go for me. I would be fishing mainly in the Gong out into the north part of the bay.

Unfortunately the Hobies are a bit out of budget for me but I have found online the Kings Kraft kayaks that seem to tick all the boxes for the type of fishing I would be doing.

Wondering if anyone has tested these or own one and could provide a bit of feedback for me?

here is a website with the kayak - http://www.morningtonkayaks.com.au/prod ... ing-kayak/

cheers

Clint.

CrazyChenski

Re: Kings Kraft Kayaks

Post by CrazyChenski » Thu May 25, 2017 1:27 pm

Clintos wrote:Hi all,

I'm looking at getting into kayak fishing as something different and I think the pedal powered options would be the way to go for me. I would be fishing mainly in the Gong out into the north part of the bay.

Unfortunately the Hobies are a bit out of budget for me but I have found online the Kings Kraft kayaks that seem to tick all the boxes for the type of fishing I would be doing.

Wondering if anyone has tested these or own one and could provide a bit of feedback for me?

here is a website with the kayak - http://www.morningtonkayaks.com.au/prod ... ing-kayak/

cheers

Clint.

If you willing to pay 1800(+ any costs to deck the kayak) for a brand new unknown branded pedal kayak, you can easily get a 2nd hand decked out hobie Outback/Revolution or sport with that money. Hare in mind, the money you spend on a Hobie, the kayak does keep its price well, even when it is 2nd hand.

As an example, I can see on gumtree,. a 2012 revolution 13 is selling for 1750.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/berwick ... 1148626594

just my 2cents worth of opinion

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Thu May 25, 2017 6:37 pm

Pedal kayaks have a lot of moving parts that wear out. You want easy availability of spares in a few years time. At the end ofthe day $1800 is still a fair wack of dollars.

Clintos

Post by Clintos » Thu May 25, 2017 9:46 pm

Thanks guys,

$1800 is a lot so I would prefer new at that kind of money, I also like the dimensions and weight (25kg) of the kings kraft as it will be transported on roof racks so nice and easy to handle by myself.

The kings kraft does also seem to come with alot of things standard just finding it really hard to find any reviews that aren't from retailers.

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Thu May 25, 2017 11:24 pm

I suggest getting one to try first. My observation of this I've said before:
1.) 3:3 is a bit short for rougher conditions especially in WP.
2.) Seating is more recumbent & will put more pressure on lower Lumbar. So hopefully you got a good strong back & neck muscles (check vids).
3.) Anchor trolley does not go all the way to the bow???
4.) From day 1 I asked to see video footage in choppy conditions or in winds over 6Kts - Still seen nothing (so if anyone has footage I'd be keen to see it)
5.) Claimed 9kmh is that sustained or burst/sprint?
6.) How tried & tested is their Drive compared with Native & Hobie (btw they've made their pedal system I believe to fit Hobies mirage well).
Personally I'd go for a different yak until they've proven themselves.
By the way I bought a second hand 2011 Hobie PA14 a couple of years back now for more than that & I have no regrets.
If you do go second hand I'm sure there are blokes who would be happy to assist & possibly even go check them out with you.
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu May 25, 2017 11:52 pm

I too went with a second hand hobie although for me it was an outback and like above I haven't looked back since.
There are a few things that put me off with the kings kraft.
The adjustments on the seat seem quite hard to make.
The drive is a solid drive that fits into a mirage well therefore there is no give when something is hit.
The propeller must be vertical to remove drive and I couldn't find anything to indicate when this was the case.
From memory the centre hatch is in am effectively useless position due to the seat and was incredibly hard to open even with the seat removed.
Can't comment on sea worthiness as I have only played with one on the shop floor but I imagine it doesn't like chop at all.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Clintos

Post by Clintos » Sun May 28, 2017 4:32 pm

Hi all,

just came back from a trip to Anaconda and noticed they are selling the Kings Kraft re-branded as a Seak kayak for... $3990!!! Was good to have a look at it in person and I must say I was pretty impressed at the unit as a whole.

I was able to have a play with pedal system and also open all hatches/compartments, I didn't see how there would be an issue with accessing the compartment under the seat as the seat is raised with a good amount of room between.

I'm not looking to use the kayak in any rough conditions so the size seems spot on for me and looked stable compared to the other paddle kayaks in the store. As I'll be lugging it from roof racks by myself again the total weight of 30kg (approx, without drive unit 7.5kg) seems like it would give me no dramas, looking into the Hobies they seem a great deal heavier so not sure I would want to be struggling do people with Hobies use roof racks and have no issues?

At this stage it ticks all the boxes for me, having no previous experience at all with kayaking though I am going in blind. Do kayak retailers normally let you try before you buy?

cheers all,

Clint.

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Sun May 28, 2017 10:13 pm

Clintos wrote: having no previous experience at all with kayaking though I am going in blind. Do kayak retailers normally let you try before you buy?

Clint.
Hi Clint,
There are many Hobie's in their range some also without pedal drive, so weight & length they have heaps.
SLH & Capacity sports let you try first. There may be another. Also AKS Geelong way.
I presume from your comments/post you are set on a pedal yak & not paddle- correct?
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun May 28, 2017 10:15 pm

Have you considered a SUP?

Clintos

Post by Clintos » Mon May 29, 2017 10:45 am

FishnMiss wrote:
Clintos wrote: having no previous experience at all with kayaking though I am going in blind. Do kayak retailers normally let you try before you buy?

Clint.
Hi Clint,
There are many Hobie's in their range some also without pedal drive, so weight & length they have heaps.
SLH & Capacity sports let you try first. There may be another. Also AKS Geelong way.
I presume from your comments/post you are set on a pedal yak & not paddle- correct?
Hi,

yes definitely set on pedal over paddle.

I've checked out all the Hobie range and the cost and the weight factor has turned me off them somewhat. For the amount I would be using it and the calm conditions I would face I just can't justify spending over $2k on this thing. You can pick up the Kings Kraft for $1500 online new, Hobies lucky to find second hand for $2k.

It's just a shame they are so new as it would be great to hear from someone who has actually used one. Without trying to offend it seems people with Hobies or Native kayaks have a somewhat elitist attitude (not on this forum) when it comes to other options available in the pedal market.

cheers

Clint.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”