Motors on kayaks

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Motors on kayaks

Post by skronkman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:07 am

Also, registration and boat licensing are 2 different things. Perhaps we are not all discussing the same issue?

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:58 am

deleted

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:42 am

Theres no need to register these vessels what there is a need for is users of these vessels to be properly equipped with safety equipment for the type of activity they are partaking in which I believe is already regulated.

My only concern with motorised Kayaks is that people will endanger themselves or others by trying to push the vessel and themselves beyond their limitations or ignoring safety requirements all boaties must follow.

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:18 pm

rb85 wrote:Theres no need to register these vessels what there is a need for is users of these vessels to be properly equipped with safety equipment for the type of activity they are partaking in which I believe is already regulated.

My only concern with motorised Kayaks is that people will endanger themselves or others by trying to push the vessel and themselves beyond their limitations or ignoring safety requirements all boaties must follow.
Mate, I would be more concerned about people on here who take their kayaks out in 37 meters of water off port fairy or many kilometres off Portland where one rouge wave would end their life or go out in bass strait or be hidden in big swells for a boat to come along and collect them, most kayakers I know tend to stay fairly close in and use their very small electrics for trolling in close

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:05 pm

rb85 wrote:Theres no need to register these vessels what there is a need for is users of these vessels to be properly equipped with safety equipment for the type of activity they are partaking in which I believe is already regulated.

this is the worry I have about putting motors on kayaks - first is the kayak designed for a motor or are you overloading some area of it -- second if it is tipped over can the pilot of this turn it back on its wheels and remount it in deep water ( the extra weight of a battery may make the craft hard to turn the right way up ) -- if the motor dies can the punter get back - there are a lot of if's and buts to consider about this
fishpod wrote: Mate, I would be more concerned about people on here who take their kayaks out in 37 meters of water off port fairy or many kilometres off Portland where one rouge wave would end their life or go out in bass strait or be hidden in big swells for a boat to come along and collect them, most kayakers I know tend to stay fairly close in and use their very small electrics for trolling in close
being hidden by swells is all ways a worry and probably the the biggest worry to any of us that fish off shore we always hope that the boating guys have enough seance to look where there going and to abide by the rules and give way to row boats - rouge waves aren't an issue any one I know and fish with can get back on a kayak if dumped in the water - something most of us practice a lot we do a lot of surf days in waves that you wouldn't put a boat , in fact I would worry more about being swamped in a boat by a rouge wave

having been out wide off both Portland and Port Fairy I can tell you we do watch for boats
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:17 pm

This will probably stir things up...
Anything over 3m, or 10ft in length should be registered imo. Same vic laws as with trailers on our roads (length from towball to end of trailer). This covers all powered and non-powered vessels using our waterways. Registration is revenue raising, and should help towards coast guards and water police, and ramps for that matter. However, I believe there needs to be divisions as far as safety equipment is concerned.

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:25 pm

Redhunter wrote:This will probably stir things up...
Anything over 3m, or 10ft in length should be registered imo. Same vic laws as with trailers on our roads (length from towball to end of trailer). This covers all powered and non-powered vessels using our waterways. Registration is revenue raising, and should help towards coast guards and water police, and ramps for that matter. However, I believe there needs to be divisions as far as safety equipment is concerned.
strangly enough I would prefur they riped all the boat ramps out that would cut the costs there - or maybe ban all motor boats - so there I'll need a better flame suit that you
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

col1
Has liked: 9 times

Post by col1 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:12 pm

Don't see the need for rego on a kayak but personally all vessels that go out deeper than the operator can stand should require a boat/PwC license and same safety gear/ lights as current for boats

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:35 pm

fishpod wrote:

Mate, I would be more concerned about people on here who take their kayaks out in 37 meters of water off port fairy or many kilometres off Portland where one rouge wave would end their life or go out in bass strait or be hidden in big swells for a boat to come along and collect them, most kayakers I know tend to stay fairly close in and use their very small electrics for trolling in close
Haven't had a close call with kayaks off bass strait. Maybe some sort of indication flag would be useful in heavier seas if something suitable could be engineered. The best approach is to respect each other's space and be aware of our surroundings.

From my perspective those kayak fisherman offshore at places such as Portland seem to be very experienced.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:17 pm

fishpod wrote:

I had a cootacraft gunshot and an evolution 552 get hidden behind swells when not even 20m away the other month. Maybe we should ban all boats under 6m too from places subject to large swells?

I'd be more worried about some bloke in his $500 eBay special with a 30+ah deep cycle battery on the deck and a home made knock up motor mount 1km off Mornington with an impending sea breeze than the guys hitting up Julia reef on their purpose built skis/kayaks....

Return to “Kayak Fishing”