in search of local Choona by kayak 11/2/17

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

in search of local Choona by kayak 11/2/17

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:31 am

Met up with Shane and Leejo at the Flinders Ocean side launch just under the Golf Coarse around 8.30 am there were quite a few boats out the front trolling around we could see as we set up and trundled out
once out of the Marine park we set up trolling our way out I picked up a snook about 60 cm in about 30 meters and a short time latter a 38 cm slimey Mack -- Leejo still nothing and shane on his way to Tassie - we did catch up with shane he was rebuilding his motor ( replacing a drive chain in his Hobies Mirage drive ) Shanes a machine and breaks the pedal drive a lot most parts are modified stronger in his unit but it still breaks anyway it did the job and he was off again

we got out to a bit over 50 meters and by now even bait balls had dried up - there were more in closer

I radioed Shane he was out at 60 meters he also with no results and said he'ed call if things changed -- He didn't call back ! so I guess not much changed out there

Leejo and myself turned toward Cape Shank and was working a bit of a zig zag pattern working back in shallower but my partner in crime was getting buggered and a little sea sick so we stopped trolling and did a bit of micro jigging that was a bit of fun with both of us getting hook up of Wrasse ( some big ones to ) Couta , Scorpion Cod , Gurnard and it was good to have some kind of action after a lot of trolling for very little

after probably 3/4 of and hour Leejo was feeling better - a bit of a rest break helped and we paddled back to the launch site back on the beach around 3 pm - we covered 22 km and the conditions were mint on the water

don't know how Shane went he was still out when we pulled the pin

the reports from the kayaking guys that got down to Portland said the Couta were steeling lots of lures and no Tuna for them ether

so I'll probably hit up Westernport Monday to put some fish in the fridge
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: in search of local Choona by kayak 11/2/17

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:56 am

Should have called me I was out in the

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:51 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:Should have called me I was out in the
how did you go Wolly - must say it was nice out just a lack of fish
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:20 am

cheaterparts wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:Should have called me I was
how did you go Wolly - must say it was nice out just a lack of fish
It was a top day out, we first started fishing for shark, got bitten off a few times, caught a flattie and two barracouta, plus a large banjo. We then went trolling in close towards Cape Schanck and then came back out at about 40 metres.

Caught a large Yakka on a Ritcher jelly babe, it put up a huge struggle on 24 kilo gear. We then bottom bounced for a while without much joy. We did sound up some arches, but they weren't solid, turned the fish id on and bottom lock and they were schools of fish that were making the arches.

We then stopped off shallow inside the west head and caught a few reef fish, one huge snook that chased a hooked reef fish and we caught in the net as it was attempting to eat the fish that was already hooked.

We were out there on Monday and it was like a washing machine, so yesterday was great.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”