Kayak Help!

fishmagnet

Kayak Help!

Post by fishmagnet » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:03 pm

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a cheapy kayak off eBay for around $400 just to try them out and will eventually upgrade if I find I use it enough. Anyway I have a couple of questions...

What sort of roof racks should I get? I don't wanna fork out hundreds for a pair of rhino racks or whatever, just want something to keep the kayak secure and not scratch the car for a reasonable price.

Also, what kayak trolley should I get? I've heard things about cheap eBay ones putting holes in the bottom of yaks so just want a reliable and easy to use one, again for a reasonable price.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Cheers Sam

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Kayak Help!

Post by 4liters » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:15 pm

I'd be inclined to go with some decent roof racks, last thing you want is something cheap giving way on the freeway at 110km/h.

Check out second hand kayaks, it's a good way to get your hands on something decent (often with a fair bit of gear included) for a good price.

I've got one of these trolleys and it goes ok: http://www.anacondastores.com/boating/b ... BP90034772
It's a bit **** on soft sand though.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:17 pm

4liters wrote:I'd be inclined to go with some decent roof racks, last thing you want is something cheap giving way on the freeway at 110km/h.

Check out second hand kayaks, it's a good way to get your hands on something decent (often with a fair bit of gear included) for a good price.

I've got one of these trolleys and it goes ok: http://www.anacondastores.com/boating/b ... BP90034772
It's a bit sh*t on soft sand though.
if you have the time just build your own cart out of pvc, or if you go second hand it will most likely have a cart.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:22 pm

4liters wrote:ICheck out second hand kayaks, it's a good way to get your hands on something decent (often with a fair bit of gear included) for a good price.
I have to agree with the above - quite often you will pick up a far better deal than an Ebay cheapy in a better brand second hand because of the extras chucked in
most cheapies fall somewhere between poor design to down right dangerous
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:13 pm

I also say to steer clear of the ebay yaks, they can be quite poor in design and quality. Unless you are playing in the pool then you want at least 3.8 meters in length.

Keep an eye on sites like gumtree for cheaper yaks, something like a Wavedance Kingfisher would be a good bet. They can be had brand new for less than $800 with a paddle and seat (i got mine for $650) so cheap second hand units should be around.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:09 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:Keep an eye on sites like gumtree for cheaper yaks, something like a Wavedance Kingfisher would be a good bet. They can be had brand new for less than $800 with a paddle and seat (i got mine for $650) so cheap second hand units should be around.
funny you should say that I sold my Kingfisher last W/E for $ 650 set up basicly ready to fish with - seat , paddle , rod holders , esky , anchor trolley , anchor and a stainless steel trolley to wheel it
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:13 pm

not to mention a UV protective layer of mud, blood and squid ink
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

CrazyChenski

Post by CrazyChenski » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:20 pm

4liters wrote:not to mention a UV protective layer of mud, blood and squid ink

Nah, he washed that off already, along with his mojo.....

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:43 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Keep an eye on sites like gumtree for cheaper yaks, something like a Wavedance Kingfisher would be a good bet.
Few guys on here all say the exact same thing. I've used GTShoon's once and it was stable as hell and easy to paddle.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:44 pm

Getting a second hand branded kayak means you are getting a yak backed by a brand who has spent thousands on r & d. You are buying quality. Also, resale will better than any brand new eBay kayak.

I along with quite a few others purchased second hand initially.

And do yourself a favour and get decent racks. I use prorack. Again you can buy these second hand at bargain prices but don't skimp on this stuff

Return to “Kayak Fishing”