new laptop

New topics can only be created by Premium Members in the Classifieds.
mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: new laptop

Post by mazman » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:11 am

JB are pretty good with returns so it should be fine
hornet wrote:Take it back your entitled to a refund under consumers rights......it's not fit for purpose. Tell them you will take it to consumers affairs if they don't, they are breaching traders guide lines. ( print it off and take it with you in case you get a part timer serving you, he can show his manager )

*The ‘fit for purpose’ guarantee*

"A trader guarantees that goods will be reasonably fit for any purpose that the trader or the consumer specifies - the goods will do the job the consumer was told they would. "

https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/busines ... or-purpose
this requires the consumer to specify the purpose of the good to a salesperson prior to the purchase being made.
ie. abzz walks into JB explains what he wants the laptop to do (edit and play full HD vids) salesperson says this laptop will do the job, laptop can't perform task that abzz wanted it to.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:25 pm

If i were you i would not wait for the weekend,sooner the better if you require a refund.I bought a 300mm lens from jb not long ago and it did not preform as i thought. Bought it Friday,returned it Sunday.It did not have to explain myself much, i just said it did not preform as advertised.Money back no problems.The only hitch you may have is the operating system part,as you or they have instaled it and used the serial number,and the fact that the operating system may be worth more than the laptop in it self.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:03 pm

mazman wrote:JB are pretty good with returns so it should be fine
hornet wrote:Take it back your entitled to a refund under consumers rights......it's not fit for purpose. Tell them you will take it to consumers affairs if they don't, they are breaching traders guide lines. ( print it off and take it with you in case you get a part timer serving you, he can show his manager )

*The ‘fit for purpose’ guarantee*

"A trader guarantees that goods will be reasonably fit for any purpose that the trader or the consumer specifies - the goods will do the job the consumer was told they would. "

https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/busines ... or-purpose
this requires the consumer to specify the purpose of the good to a salesperson prior to the purchase being made.
ie. abzz walks into JB explains what he wants the laptop to do (edit and play full HD vids) salesperson says this laptop will do the job, laptop can't perform task that abzz wanted it to.
So abzz can say the sales person said it would do what abzz wanted.
It's his word against the sales person, they're not going to call abzz a liar or it could be a potential law suit.
I'm in technical support and warranty for the company I work for, I also deal with consumers affairs from time to time.
In my personal experience CA rule in the customers favour more often than a retailer, it's clearly not doing what abzz wants.
If you don't try you will never know.. you gotta have a crack.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

abzz

Post by abzz » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:29 pm

Thanks guys, does anyone know if I can return it to a different JB store as I can't return it to the store I nought it from till the weekend?

hornet

Post by hornet » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:57 pm

abzz wrote:Thanks guys, does anyone know if I can return it to a different JB store as I can't return it to the store I nought it from till the weekend?
abzz it's better to return it to where you purchased it from, ring ASAP and ask for the manager and get his NAME record date + time.
Tell him what the problem is and ask what is he going to do about it, you were given incorrect information regarding this laptops capabilities.
His options may be a refund or add the refund towards a better unit if you choose that will do the Video job, you will obviously need to make up the difference cash wise, consumer laws state the customer decides whether he wants a refund or another unit or put the refund towards a unit that will do the job.

abzz

Post by abzz » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:10 pm

Thanks again guys went to JB today, explained the situation. They said they can't give a refund, but can give a store voucher for the same value which is good.
So question now is what CPU, VGA,RAM (speed etc) should I be looking at to play/edit hd videos?

hornet

Post by hornet » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:15 pm

abzz wrote:Thanks again guys went to JB today, explained the situation. They said they can't give a refund, but can give a store voucher for the same value which is good.
So question now is what CPU, VGA,RAM (speed etc) should I be looking at to play/edit hd videos?
How much do you want to spend all up, I'll check JB's site.. I build gaming pc's for a hobby.

abzz

Post by abzz » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:55 pm

hornet wrote:
abzz wrote:Thanks again guys went to JB today, explained the situation. They said they can't give a refund, but can give a store voucher for the same value which is good.
How much do you want to spend all up, I'll check JB's site.. I build gaming pc's for a hobby.
Oh nice!
Nothing too fancy, probably around $700 max

hornet

Post by hornet » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:42 pm

Sorry abzz in the $700 price range video editing will be a chore,painful and frustrating.

Video editing is a demanding task for a laptop. Below are the specs I suggest for a capable smooth machine.

1/ CPU should be intel i7 quadcore highish end
2/ ram should be 8GB minimum preferably more or up-gradable in the future to 16GB.
3/ Nvidia high end graphics card
4/ large storage 1 terabyte
5/ SSD preferably for operating system

Any reason for a laptop instead of a desktop ?

abzz

Post by abzz » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:16 am

Ok cool thanks.
Yeah I don't have the space for a desktop

Return to “Classifieds”