new laptop

New topics can only be created by Premium Members in the Classifieds.
Steve1389

Re: new laptop

Post by Steve1389 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:25 am

hornet wrote:Take it back your entitled to a refund under consumers rights......it's not fit for purpose. Tell them you will take it to consumers affairs if they don't, they are breaching traders guide lines. ( print it off and take it with you in case you get a part timer serving you, he can show his manager )

*The ‘fit for purpose’ guarantee*

"A trader guarantees that goods will be reasonably fit for any purpose that the trader or the consumer specifies - the goods will do the job the consumer was told they would. "

https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/busines ... or-purpose
It's things like this, that infuriate me being in retail. Instead of just saying take it back to the store and explain what has happened. Your first point of argument is to slam the book. I am sure this store would have no problem swapping it for him if he was just honest with what has happened. Instead of doing that, you say go in and kick up a stink. Ridiculous, really...

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:37 am

Steve1389 wrote:
hornet wrote:Take it back your entitled to a refund under consumers rights......it's not fit for purpose. Tell them you will take it to consumers affairs if they don't, they are breaching traders guide lines. ( print it off and take it with you in case you get a part timer serving you, he can show his manager )

"A trader guarantees that goods will be reasonably fit for any purpose that the trader or the consumer specifies - the goods will do the job the consumer was told they would. "

It's things like this, that infuriate me being in retail. Instead of just saying take it back to the store and explain what has happened. Your first point of argument is to slam the book. I am sure this store would have no problem swapping it for him if he was just honest with what has happened. Instead of doing that, you say go in and kick up a stink. Ridiculous, really...
** IF your going to quote people then do it honestly don't pick and chose what you want to read.. and read the whole thread in it's entirety **

I guess you didn't read this piece of advise I gave in my earlier posts..

""abzz it's better to return it to where you purchased it from, ring ASAP and ask for the manager and get his NAME record date + time.
Tell him what the problem is and ask what is he going to do about it, you were given incorrect information regarding this laptops capabilities.
His options may be a refund or add the refund towards a better unit if you choose that will do the Video job, you will obviously need to make up the difference cash wise, consumer laws state the customer decides whether he wants a refund or another unit or put the refund towards a unit that will do the job.""

Obviously Abzz is going to take the polite route first only a moron would charge in demanding.

How many people know what rights they have when purchasing ? what I have stated in this thread is directly from consumers affairs Victoria.

I guess you didn't look at the CA link either ?
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:59 am

hornet wrote:
And How many people know what rights they have when purchasing ?
In my experience, very few. The only reason I found out was from doing a compulsory commercial law subject at uni. Most people just take the 'No Refunds' sign at face value and don't even bother trying.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

azkay

Post by azkay » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:28 am

I personally can't see anything ridiculous about the helpful replies on this thread. That's clearly just some advice IN CASE Abzz doesn't get the response he believes his entitled to, good advice at that.
Az.

abzz

Post by abzz » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:33 am

hornet wrote:
Steve1389 wrote:

** IF your going to quote people then do it honestly don't pick and chose what you want to read.. and read the whole thread in it's entirety **

""abzz it's better to return it to where you purchased it from, ring ASAP and ask for the manager and get his NAME record date + time.
Tell him what the problem is and ask what is he going to do about it, you were given incorrect information regarding this laptops capabilities.
His options may be a refund or add the refund towards a better unit if you choose that will do the Video job, you will obviously need to make up the difference cash wise, consumer laws state the customer decides whether he wants a refund or another unit or put the refund towards a unit that will do the job.""

Obviously Abzz is going to take the polite route first only a moron would charge in demanding.

How many people know what rights they have when purchasing ? what I have stated in this thread is directly from consumers affairs Victoria.

I just politely told them I was unhappy with the performance and wanted a better laptop, they had no issue at all giving me a refund (voucher)
To be honest I didn't even know that I could do that till it was pointed out on here :thumbsup:

hornet

Post by hornet » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:13 am

abzz wrote:
hornet wrote:
Steve1389 wrote:

I just politely told them I was unhappy with the performance and wanted a better laptop, they had no issue at all giving me a refund (voucher)
To be honest I didn't even know that I could do that till it was pointed out on here :thumbsup:
Abzz if you did push the issue considering the short time you were in possession of the merchandise they are obliged to give a refund if you were not happy with the store voucher offer, that would mean taking the next step and take in printed pages from the consumers affairs web site stating their obligations as evidence.

Next step after this if they refuse is contacting consumers affairs to step in and speak with the retailer.

You should not have to do this as the retailer should be aware of the regulations.

If you guys have purchased from MSY computer parts they were fined heavily for breaching their obligations to the consumer, it's not directly the same situation as Abzz but this is the consequences of misleading the purchaser..

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/m ... r-warranty

However I can tell you from experience some retailers have no clue of their obligations and it needs to be pointed out to them.
Last edited by hornet on Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:27 am

hornet wrote:
However I can tell you from experience some retailers have no clue of their obligations and it needs to be pointed out to them.
That's optimistic. I reckon they know damn well but act like they have no idea in the hope that the person asking will go away.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Steve1389

Post by Steve1389 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:19 pm

hornet wrote:
Steve1389 wrote:

The post i quoted was your first post. This could of been said if the store refused a refund. Which they did not from what I have read in the entire thread. I also don't need to look at the link as I know my rights, but this may be beneficial to the OP.

I'm not arguing, just saying its frustrating having to deal with people who demand things. Speak to other with respect and you will get quality service in return. Demand things and give attitude and you will not.

hornet

Post by hornet » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:16 pm

Steve1389~ you may know what your rights are as a consumer but many other people don't.
I've been in this industry 13 years in varying roles and speak from experience, I'm quite aware politeness is a good start and I know Abzz well enough to know he's not going to rush in like a raging bull and start demanding.
When I'm giving advise from personal experience and you come in and call my advise " Ridiculous, really... " I take that as an insult, considering you know nothing of my back ground in the industry, your entitled to your opinion as I am to mine, I think Abzz and the other members have a grasp of what they are entitled to now so I have no more to add unless Abzz requires it.
When next you post have a think about whether it's necessary to add remarks which undermine another members advise.

ingeer

Post by ingeer » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:19 am

i would say anything under $1500 would not be suitable for video editing. you would at least need a FULL HD display (forget about these with 768 lines, it hurts your eyes!), at least an i5 (preferrable i7)processor with 16g RAM (this is not mandatory since you can do upgrade easily yourself). Storage is bit headache for video editing since you would need quite big quota while only hdd could offer. But hdd loads the system/apps slow like slug.. Ideally you would need a ssd+hdd system if not found you can probably go with the ssd one then connect a portable storage to it. I heard some people replace the dvd with hdd but it's not simple as adding more RAMs..

Good luck.

Return to “Classifieds”