Mighty Mulloway

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
Fish-Hunter

Re: Mighty Mulloway

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:42 pm

I just thought i'd also mention , well done for releasing your catch . Not many will do it , shows your a great sports fisherman :a_goodjob:

Cuda
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Cuda » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:09 pm

Yes, of course...Plus any Mulloway caught in Melbourne metro areas wouldn't be any good to keep and eat anyway, going by what everyone says about toxicity of the water.
Abbz, not after any particular spot or even area, but just interested to know if your catches came from rivers, mouths or the bay?
Cheers.

P.S. I have some fresh salmon fillets caught yesterday, so might try somewhere that's not to far from home tonight.

abzz

Post by abzz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:22 pm

Cuda wrote:Yes, of course...Plus any Mulloway caught in Melbourne metro areas wouldn't be any good to keep and eat anyway, going by what everyone says about toxicity of the water.
Abbz, not after any particular spot or even area, but just interested to know if your catches came from rivers, mouths or the bay?
Cheers.

P.S. I have some fresh salmon fillets caught yesterday, so might try somewhere that's not to far from home tonight.
most were caught from around the docklands area

abzz

Post by abzz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:27 pm

thought id like to add...fished sat night/sun morning in WP
11 hour session and result was:
Mulloway= 1
Me= 0
:sleepy1:

Cuda

Post by Cuda » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:31 am

Went for a session last night. Had a couple of "enquiries" and a lightning fast run/hook-up, that I couldn't stop on some pretty heavy gear. Never felt that much weight on a rod before, and have had fish to 20kg in the past. HAd to slow the drag up in the end by hand, put some serious presure on the line and that was all she wrote. By the amount of line i got back, looked like my main-line-to-swivel knot gave way.
I would hate to think this was a Jew, as I've been able to stop pretty good ones far easier than this. Didn't feel like one either, but I never classify runs/bites as this or that fish. Just to make myself feel better, I'm convincing myself it was a big ray. LOL

abzz

Post by abzz » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:45 pm

Ouch..hate it when that happens "you never know what it was"
Plays on your mind for a long time.
Fishing the Yarra?

Cuda

Post by Cuda » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:00 pm

abzz wrote:Ouch..hate it when that happens "you never know what it was"
Fishing the Yarra?
Haha..I know..I stood there motionless, holding the rod for about a minute LOL. I was fishing down in Port Melbourne.
Packed up to go back tonight, but my son said: "You going fishing again?...I'm sad when you go!", so I decided to stay in tonight. :P

BTW, I caught approx a 32-3 cm pinky which swallowed an 8/0 hook with a sizeable chunk of salmon fillet on it :crazy: :icon_lolz:

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:03 pm

Cuda wrote:
abzz wrote:Ouch..hate it when that happens "you never know what it was"
Fishing the Yarra?
Haha..I know..I stood there motionless, holding the rod for about a minute LOL. I was fishing down in Port Melbourne.
Packed up to go back tonight, but my son said: "You going fishing again?...I'm sad when you go!", so I decided to stay in tonight. :P

BTW, I caught approx a 32-3 cm pinky which swallowed an 8/0 hook with a sizeable chunk of salmon fillet on it :crazy: :icon_lolz:
Take him with you!
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

Linc

Post by Linc » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:12 pm

I caught my first Melbourne Jew in Docklands a couple of weeks back in between a hot pinky session. He was only 38cm but fun to catch and he took a tiny prawn bait on an unweighted size 6 hook intended for a bream. I could only imagine how intense it would be hooking onto one of those monsters and trying to haul him out from around the pylons and crap at Docklands.

abzz

Post by abzz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:56 am

just got back from a few hour jew session..couldnt resist :P
no jews tonight, but did manage this decent pinkie.
few pics and sent him back on his way
Attachments
IMG_20130425_034612.jpg
IMG_20130425_034612.jpg (32.41 KiB) Viewed 582 times

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”