Where the jewies at?

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Where the jewies at?

Post by cobby » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:02 pm

Used to get pissed as underage kids down the local Westernport pier half arsed chasing Jews and got a few amongst the rubbish, the sharks and other weird and wonderful things including a 3am bike ride home whilst drunk with fish over the shoulder...

The big secret is time. Put in the time and eventually you will be rewarded. Regular spots are easily found with a quick google search

adamk

Post by adamk » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:10 pm

cobby wrote:Used to get pissed as underage kids down the local Westernport pier half arsed chasing Jews and got a few amongst the rubbish, the sharks and other weird and wonderful things including a 3am bike ride home whilst drunk with fish over the shoulder...

The big secret is time. Put in the time and eventually you will be rewarded. Regular spots are easily found with a quick google search
this i agree with. luck of the draw can be in the right place at the wrong time.
lol @ drunken bike rides. biggest thing that bugs me is people not throwing there rubbish away when there fishing

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:29 pm

biggest thing that bugs me is people not throwing there rubbish away when there fishing
One of the reasons i mentioned before was this. The grass banks had holes and burnt patches of grass from people lighting bonfires. Left over wood and rubbish. Along with verbal abuse, physical confrontations. I was here first fights. Line tangles galoreee. Multiple rods from each person all over the place. And taking of undersized fish to name a few..

Can ask the same thing again. Where were all the do gooders then???? Till that episode aired And went allover Facebook it was a lot more civilised there...

Im not in any way protecting a secret spot more so pissed off that it got turned into a dump. Along with the rest of the crap that happened there. Anyone who thinks otherwise or weren't there when all this was happening can as i said before shove their opinion where the sun don't shine....

Kosta7

Post by Kosta7 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:32 pm

purple5ive wrote:
biggest thing that bugs me is people not throwing there rubbish away when there fishing
One of the reasons i mentioned before was this. The grass banks had holes and burnt patches of grass from people lighting bonfires. Left over wood and rubbish. Along with verbal abuse, physical confrontations. I was here first fights. Line tangles galoreee. Multiple rods from each person all over the place. And taking of undersized fish to name a few..

Can ask the same thing again. Where were all the do gooders then???? Till that episode aired And went allover Facebook it was a lot more civilised there...

Im not in any way protecting a secret spot more so pissed off that it got turned into a dump. Along with the rest of the crap that happened there. Anyone who thinks otherwise or weren't there when all this was happening can as i said before shove their opinion where the sun don't shine....
The problem is not the Oz fish guys...it's all the dickheads that we come across in a lot of spots and ruin it for all of us...

adamk

Post by adamk » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:07 pm

purple5ive wrote:

thats so true too. i dont understand why one would need a fire in metro period. ive had people cross lines, it happens due to current or stupidty not much one can do apart from spacing out. as for undersize fisherys gets a call an if thats not good enough the person gets educated the easy way or hard way. but i 100% agree with you

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:53 pm

What would be a reasonable-sized hook to use for 3-8kg mulloway?

I've heard some people warn against circle-hooks, but others highly recommend them.

So what's the verdict - single big circle or a snelled pair of suicide hooks?

Cheers,

Mike.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:29 pm

mingle wrote:What would be a reasonable-sized hook to use for 3-8kg mulloway?

I've heard some people warn against circle-hooks, but others highly recommend them.

So what's the verdict - single big circle or a snelled pair of suicide hooks?

Cheers,

Mike.
What you use to hook an 8kg model, could very well hook you a 30kg model. Lol. Then what? Nah fella, hook size is dependant upon its application. In other words, the size bait you are using. For example...No good using twin 8/0's through a livebait thats only 6in long, as the hook weight would weigh the livey down too much and would not present very well, and probably die. You want a good balance. Plenty of hook exposure, without interferring with the "natural" presentation you are trying to portray. I've used anything from twin 4/0's to twin 10/0's, but again, dependant upon application.
Yes I am a fan of twin suicides, as opposed to circle hooks, especially for jews. They are reknowned for inhaling a livebait and spitting it out again, scaled and close to dead, without you even knowing. With twins I believe there is more chance one will get stuck. Improving the odds against those once in a lifetime big ol' girls is what the end aim is...and enjoy the journey of catching smaller fish as you go. Just my opinion...

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:18 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Fish-cador wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
Fish-cador wrote:
Off to buy popcorn and watch the fireworks.
Good luck i hope you enjoy the movie
It flopped in the box office. Bugger! lol
Geee bad luck mate ask for your money back atleast for getting stooged :rofl:
Looks like you got sh*t choices in watching movies as well not just fishing :tongue:
Tell me about it. I was watching your movie hoping it will deliver some fireworks. Lol

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:02 am

I'd be fishing land-based, using squid-strips for bait.

Probably a running-sinker rig (?) of 30lb mono on 20ld braid main-line, using a 12ft surf-rod and 6000-sized spinning reel.

Cheers,

Mike.

bilby

Post by bilby » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:31 pm

For the last couple of years I've been fishing circle hooks with reasonable success - i.e. I've had a lot of luck hooking fish, but less luck landing them. I fish 25-30 lb mono main line in areas with structure (30lb braid where there is more open water) and a metre of 40lb mono as a minimum for leader. Even so, where I fish, the chances of landing a decent mulloway over 8k is low. Some have recommended upping the line strength, but I don't really think that would help much in amongst all the pylons along our metro rivers.

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”