Jewie weight

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Re: Jewie weight

Post by Basti » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:20 pm

chillicrab wrote:its a shallow diving minnow.

how do u mine metadata? and what can u find out from this data
funny looking lip on it. well done once again. Metadata is just attached info that comes with almost every digital image. you can get addons/extensions for your net browser that will show you what you need. I used to use it to figure out what settings people had used to take pics (had a slight interest in photography). It's useful in fishing because it may include gps, time and date etc.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:03 pm

4liters wrote:Eh, fishing is always going to be potentially lethal to the fish. I have a hard time getting motivated to catch a cod because I don't want to risk killing one.
I am a kitchen fisherman. I only target fish I want to bring home for the table. I practice catch and release on by-catch, but I dont go out looking to catch and release fish. I would rather not catch a fish at all, if I am planning to release it. Having said that, I LOVE eating fish, and catch and eat quite a lot of fish. I feel this is much more sustainable than buying fish from netters. In the past I have bagged out on 4kg snapper in 15 minutes, and I come straight home, or target something else. Nothing ever goes to waste.

This is the reason I never target natives, because I will never eat them, so dont feel right targetting them. I have no problem with people fishing for them, as long as they stay within the regs, but its not for me.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:29 pm

Scraglor wrote:
4liters wrote:Eh, fishing is always going to be potentially lethal to the fish. I have a hard time getting motivated to catch a cod because I don't want to risk killing one.
I am a kitchen fisherman. I only target fish I want to bring home for the table. I practice catch and release on by-catch, but I dont go out looking to catch and release fish. I would rather not catch a fish at all, if I am planning to release it. Having said that, I LOVE eating fish, and catch and eat quite a lot of fish. I feel this is much more sustainable than buying fish from netters. In the past I have bagged out on 4kg snapper in 15 minutes, and I come straight home, or target something else. Nothing ever goes to waste.

This is the reason I never target natives, because I will never eat them, so dont feel right targetting them. I have no problem with people fishing for them, as long as they stay within the regs, but its not for me.
Haha we have pretty much the exact same view. I figure if I don't eat fish I catch then I'll be eating something else that used to be alive, so it might as well be a sustainable, free range, organic fish rather than beef from a feedlot or whatever.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:30 pm

chillicrab wrote:it went abt 1.5hr ish, then i had to deal with trying to revive that fish so that was a huge downtime.

i am certain this is nothing, because ive heard stories that are wayy cooler than this by far.
Sounds like a cracker sesh mate! The numbers are there, and it excites me as to how good the fishing will be in a few years to come when these fish have put on some weight and grow in length. I believe there was an awesome spawn back when the drought broke (2010?), which is why we are now experiencing an influx of jews in the 70-90cm bracket and some a bit larger in our systems. (Have a think about it).
Lol, I have also been hearing of some ridiculous sessions too where double figures of jews have been landed. 20-30 fish, and on lures! They have been in the bay too, not the rivers. With the falling water temps and recent rains, these fish may be starting to make their way into the river systems now in search of food. Often the baitfish will be hovering around river/creek mouths where the influx of fresh meets the salt, and you will find the jews are not far behind them picking them off.
Many thanks for sharing your story Chillicrab! Most jew hunters keep alot of details to themselves, as they have worked so hard to learn them in the first place.
All this talk is getting me a little toey. I've got a few tactics I want to try out from my tinny that I've been thinking about lately. Might see what happens this w/e, but not my preferred moon phase. As the ol' saying goes (maybe just a saying of mine)...I'm about due for a jew!!

Redhunter

Post by Redhunter » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:42 pm

Scraglor wrote: I am a kitchen fisherman. I only target fish I want to bring home for the table. I practice catch and release on by-catch, but I dont go out looking to catch and release fish.

I hear ya mate! To hunt and gather...
Can't think of a native that tastes better than a reddie or a good trout. Many fish are injured and die as a result of c&r, even when utmost care is taken. It is very disheartening to have a fish swim away strong, only to float to the surface out of reach. I hate those feelings, and it's only because I have a healthy passion and respect for these buggers that I feel this way. I'm obviously not on my own...

chillicrab

Post by chillicrab » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:09 pm

thanks for the comments.

happy to share what i can

bilby

Post by bilby » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:51 am

20-30 mulloway in a session on lures? The turn around on these fish is at least 10 mins, unless you're fishing with 40lb+ main line - i.e. hook, fight, land, (surely a photo?) and release. Even if you were hooking a fish every 10mins, as happened in Chillicrab's awesome session, and assuming no terminal tackle repairs, that would be steady fishing action for a minimum of 3.3 hours. For 30 fish it would have to be a 5 hour non-stop hot bite.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:00 am

Far out what kind of a session is that? That's just madness! Lol

Redhunter

Post by Redhunter » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:54 am

bilby wrote:20-30 mulloway in a session on lures? The turn around on these fish is at least 10 mins, unless you're fishing with 40lb+ main line - i.e. hook, fight, land, (surely a photo?) and release. Even if you were hooking a fish every 10mins, as happened in Chillicrab's awesome session, and assuming no terminal tackle repairs, that would be steady fishing action for a minimum of 3.3 hours. For 30 fish it would have to be a 5 hour non-stop hot bite.
Lol, you been doing some sums mate? At times I believe it was a fish a cast, and must also say that there was more than 1 fella onboard. The total was a collective total. Believe, or disbelieve, up to you, but this comes from a good source. Exact location and lures used were not disclosed.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:16 pm

Redhunter wrote:
bilby wrote:20-30 mulloway in a session on lures? The turn around on these fish is at least 10 mins, unless you're fishing with 40lb+ main line - i.e. hook, fight, land, (surely a photo?) and release. Even if you were hooking a fish every 10mins, as happened in Chillicrab's awesome session, and assuming no terminal tackle repairs, that would be steady fishing action for a minimum of 3.3 hours. For 30 fish it would have to be a 5 hour non-stop hot bite.
Lol, you been doing some sums mate? At times I believe it was a fish a cast, and must also say that there was more than 1 fella onboard. The total was a collective total. Believe, or disbelieve, up to you, but this comes from a good source. Exact location and lures used were not disclosed.
You have to buy Nude Ups book of secret spots for that.

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”