help please to try and catch a mulloway

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

help please to try and catch a mulloway

Post by smile0784 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:55 am

Hi all
My mate's want to try and catch one of these mysterious beasts unders the west gate bride, near the powerplant or under the bolte bridge. Is one location better then the other?
I never fished these areas before and with low tide at 830 am Monday planning on taking the boat out.

Can someone give me a idea on sinker size please and best way to catch then?

Some websites say live bait but people on here catch them on pilchards. What's best or depending on the day?

Any information will be helpful?

Cheers ricki

adamk

Re: help please to try and catch a molloway

Post by adamk » Fri May 15, 2015 2:41 am

smile0784 wrote:Hi all
My mate's want to try and catch one of these mysterious beasts unders the west gate bride, near the powerplant or under the bolte bridge. Is one location better then the other?
I never fished these areas before and with low tide at 830 am Monday planning on taking the boat out.

Can someone give me a idea on sinker size please and best way to catch then?

Some websites say live bait but people on here catch them on pilchards. What's best or depending on the day?

Any information will be helpful?

Cheers ricki
live bait, if your fishing those areas can catch live bait on the bridge between hyde street yaravile and stoney creek reserve

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri May 15, 2015 10:50 am

Pretty much every report i've read in the past year has been on live mullet. Berley up and use a tiny bit of chicken under a float to catch mullet, strike everytime your float moves, use the smallest possible (size 14) hook.

As for actually hooking a Mulloway, I think it's a matter of stacking the odds in your favour then putting in the hours.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 am

All the areas mentioned will produce mulloway on their day! I would hazard a guess that with all the recent rain you would probably be wasting your time fishing for them upstream of the bolte at the present moment. Im assuming you have a live well on your boat? As mentioned, live mullet is widely regarded as the 'choice' bait! I haven't wandered down lately, but if there are big schools of tailor that have come into town for the warmies, you'l probably find the jewies wont be far behind them....
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Fri May 15, 2015 12:36 pm

Its a pity cast nets are illegal..makes catching live bait alot quicker
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri May 15, 2015 9:40 pm

barra mick wrote:Its a pity cast nets are illegal..makes catching live bait alot quicker
I wish they were legal. Would be sweet to get your bait that way.

adamk

Post by adamk » Sat May 16, 2015 7:41 am

DougieK wrote:Pretty much every report i've read in the past year has been on live mullet. Berley up and use a tiny bit of chicken under a float to catch mullet, strike everytime your float moves, use the smallest possible (size 14) hook.

As for actually hooking a Mulloway, I think it's a matter of stacking the odds in your favour then putting in the hours.
i'd agree on the chicken, had something out that way hit me on 20lb braid with 40lb leader, i striked to sink the hooks an was busted off in under 6/10 seconds a few months back.
see alot of people fishing lorimer street through the night chasing jews an when i was last down stoney throwing blades alot of people catching mullet since there was lots of them about.

anyway good luck

Fishsniper

Re: help please to try and catch a mulloway

Post by Fishsniper » Sat May 16, 2015 11:01 am

Pilchards and mullet fillets, fish the bends and the under the bridges in the Nong

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sat May 16, 2015 9:18 pm

Gday Ricki!
Mulloway fishing is very close to the pinnacle of vic fishing imo. If you can catch a "decent" silver mulloway, you have learnt all that is required in order to catch just about anything...
What are you after mate? A number, or a real jew? A number is easy, but a real jew is something else...
With all due respect to all forum members, there are danglers, and there are anglers... Be very careful what advice you take from whom, in order to move forward, not backwards...take all onboard, and assess the feedback with wisdom...

I won't say I'm an expert, but I was obsessed with them once upon a time. I used to hit them 5 times a week, while working 6 days a week. Home was just a bed to me, and even then, sleep deprived I certainly was. Would fish till at least midnight on weekdays, then all-nighters on Saturday nights, and straight to work with no sleep on Sunday mornings. It's a drug worse than ice! "Jewie eyes" was something I knew far too well. I was always very strict on myself, and only used the freshest of baits. If it wasn't live, it was within an hr old, otherwise not fresh enough. Livebaits are the best baits...hands down. It doesn't get any fresher! You have experience with kingies...jewies' tastes are similar. The thing is that they feed at spasmodic intervals, and it is a matter of putting in the time at a spot until a fish gets hungry. Jews are re-knowned for terrorising livebaits, just to leave them untouched. Sometimes they will enhale them, scale them, and spit them out pretty much dead, without you even knowing...

They're an awesome fish that deserve the utmost respect...

Pm me if you would like more info...

passport1980

Post by passport1980 » Sat May 16, 2015 11:56 pm

there are danglers, and there are anglers...

Yeah...I am a dangler. One day I will chase fish.

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”