Magic Mulloway Moment

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
shazdoggg

Re: Magic Mulloway Moment

Post by shazdoggg » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:21 pm

Thats a freaking awesome catch in metro melbourne! Fish of a lifetime and even better that it swam away! :thumbsup:
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:37 pm

Well done indeed mate! Great fish. Yep, it'd be pushing into the teens, but well shy of 20kg imo unfortunately (sorry mate). Must admit though, a fish of that calibre is young and fit, and should have given you a good run for its money. How much line dya reckon it stripped on its first run?
Fyi - For comparison....My PB from under Bolte went 29kg, and 164cms. A fish of a lifetime, that I am going to have to chase again some time soon when time allows.
Once again, well done mate!

adtrac

Post by adtrac » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:24 pm

Redhunter wrote:Well done indeed mate! Great fish. Yep, it'd be pushing into the teens, but well shy of 20kg imo unfortunately (sorry mate). Must admit though, a fish of that calibre is young and fit, and should have given you a good run for its money. How much line dya reckon it stripped on its first run?
Fyi - For comparison....My PB from under Bolte went 29kg, and 164cms. A fish of a lifetime, that I am going to have to chase again some time soon when time allows.
Once again, well done mate!
Thanks Red, Yer i just used that dpi chart as a guide as my scales were at home and i had no personal experience to make a call and i had no intentions of keeping the fish anyway. Chart would have it around 17-18 but that may be wrong too as yours doesnt match the chart at all, will never know lol. I wasnt really fussed about the weight anyway was really just thrilled to have enjoyed the battle, he did one big initial run then turned and headed back up river then actually came towards me for a bit then went again before making a final attempt to head into the pylons. I had the bait a fair way out so most of the battle was out in open water so he was pretty tired by the time he had any structure to bust me off on.

Redhunter

Post by Redhunter » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:40 pm

Lol, yeh that sounds like a typical Yarra Jew to me...
Their first run is unreal, but they use up alot of energy on that one. As long as they head out wide, and swim along the river, you're usually pretty safe. The 2nd run usually has half the power (a little light-hearted)...but it's what comes next that you really need to be ready for. Too often have I had them come straight at me and below my feet, to hammer under the structure I'm standing on, and bust me off on a pylon. It's that 3rd run that seems to do the damage, if you're unlucky. Sometimes by the time they come back to you for that 3rd run, you can wrap things up (in a round about way). But, every Jew fights a little differently :)
I'd be guessing mid-high teens my friend, but that's only a guess.
Metro Jews in this league tend to be kept very quiet within the die-hard group, so good for you for sharing. Whatever you do, do not publish exactly where you got it...for your sake, please mate.
Cheers :)

adtrac

Post by adtrac » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:44 pm

That sounds pretty much how this battle went, he definately tried for that big third run at the structure the big rod was my saviour there. Yarra is a big river thats all Iwill be saying :thumbsup:

adtrac

Post by adtrac » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:50 pm

Now ill have to crack that 20 mark, the addiction has begun lol or as i said to Carl i could retire after a 15min career lol.

Redhunter

Post by Redhunter » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:00 pm

That long rod isn't needed for casting, but it sure as hell helps for leverage during the battle when you're LB. Interesting to note it's around the new moon phase too.
Absolutely rapt for ya bud!

PS - be warned, because you will soon be coming down with Jewie fever (if it hasn't already begun). Warn the Mrs you may have a few sleepless nights coming up, and not to be alarmed by the aerator going in the garage...lol.

adtrac

Post by adtrac » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:06 pm

As you said I was only lobbing it out with the big rod but I would say if I was using a heavy say 7-9ft rod I would possibly have been done on that last run.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:45 am

Excellent, nice Jewie, well done, catch of the day, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

matt1991

Post by matt1991 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:20 am

What a fish thanks for the inspiration definitely want to have a crack this year.

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”