Really wanna catch a Jewie...

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
slinga

Really wanna catch a Jewie...

Post by slinga » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:32 pm

Hey guys,

One night fishing off Warneet jetty under moonlight wasnt many fish around and had a full squid out on a running rig for about 15mins. Was packing up to leave when the reel started screaming. Did all the right things tightened my drag to about 6-7kg (25lb mono) and let him go for a big hard run with massive headshakes. Before I knew it the thing had taken 120-150m of line off me at a very fast rate.

He stopped, I got a bit of line back, then it was time for round 2. Unfortunately, a short time later I was running out of line so I had to take a chance and have about 9kg of drag on, the line snapped :doh1: .

Anyhoo, I am positive this was a 25kg+ Jewie.

Ever since then I am dead keen to catch one. I would like to know the best landbased location people have heard of for catching, and also what baits, rigs, and conditions are generally best.

I have since upgraded to a Pfleuger spin reel with 11kg's of drag and have 400m of 50lb braid on.

I do understand live baits like Mullet, Juvenile Salmon, and fresh Squid work well. Also moonlight and dark murky water are also advantages.

Any help would be great...

Thanks

Mick
Last edited by slinga on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Really wanna catch a Jewie...

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:42 pm

slinga wrote: Ever since then I am dead keen to catch one. I would like to know the best landbased location people have heard of for catching, and also what baits, rigs, and conditions are generally best.

Mick
Firstly I doubt very strongly if anyone is going to give away the landbased spot.

As you already demonstrated warneet is always a possible, other places, include Patterson river, yarra and maribingnong.

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 389 times

Post by fishingvic » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:31 am

here's a pic of my land based Melbourne Jewie:

It was 88 cm and approximately 7.5kg
mulloway.jpg
mulloway.jpg (72.04 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
It was caught at Lagoon Pier in Port Melbourne in December 2009 on sunset whilst chasing snapper...

...on a small piece of chicken breast on a 2/0 baitholder hook...

some people go to extremes to catch a Mulloway...

I think you just got to be fishing in the right place at the right time :thumbsup:

...and get lucky like I did on that memorable night
jewie.jpg
jewie.jpg (35.6 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:51 am

Agree with "Jon" luck has a very big part in catching a decent Jewie , nice fish . :victory:

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:03 pm

99.9% of Mulloway Anglers that take good Mulloway regularly , are very secretive & will not talk or advertise of fish being caught or when & where they are being taken @ any time . there is way to much effort put into the catching of these awesome fish , only to give out this info freely . you will need to take on this journey the hard way & when you do start getting results , you may also not want to tell the whole angling community were you are catching your big Mulloway . :)

slinga

Post by slinga » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:04 pm

I understand no-one will tell me a location. Am after information mainly.
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

PANDA

Post by PANDA » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:18 pm

what size jewie you after? i caught a 45cm one at lagoon pier last week about 11pm

slinga

Post by slinga » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:48 am

PANDA wrote:what size jewie you after? i caught a 45cm one at lagoon pier last week about 11pm

8kg +

trebor2122

Post by trebor2122 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:18 pm

me to slinga im gearing for the coming winter watch this vid on youtube mullaway epic in yarra with winga dame good you dont need big stuff to get big fish i will be heading to docklands next RDO it should land on a full moon i will also be getting some thurmals and staying overnight later in winter when the moon is full plan is one rod bait one lures and plastics i got some of the metal vibe lures they yous in the vid just waiting on the rod to come basicly bream out fit with 10lb braid thou them boys had a boat im goa try land basted better to hook and loose than not hook at all will take backup gear as well thou just incase

andyk

Post by andyk » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:22 am

Took me years of fishing trying new spots trying new things talking to locals and they don't give anything away just have to keep trying an eventually you will be rewarded

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”