New fish tank.

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
DonVito

Re: New fish tank.

Post by DonVito » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:55 pm

Was thinking of putting some oscars in there with some neon tetras, to really spice things up. JUST KIDDING.

In my previous tank, I had some barbs, clown loaches, tetras, sharks. They all seemed to get a long, but the barbs are territorial and seemed to grab most of the food i'd fed the fish. Had the ground feeders for maintenance and tetras for looks. I never once saw the barbs attacking any of the other fish, but most of the fish seemed to slowly die.

Were the fish mentioned above, safe from one another, or should I be looking at others?

Nah it wasn't Zynga, it was just some iPhone app. It may not have been you but the pic was similar if not the same! Is that a pic you took or found on the net?

PS. It's been awhile since I last had my six footer tank and fish, so I am starting fresh again and I want to do it 100% this time (even though I thought I did last time). :?

Beno

Post by Beno » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:19 pm

Are you wan'ting to go cold water? or tropical community tank, or cichlids?
My Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/BenosFishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; How to - Garfish/Float Rig
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/pages/BenosFis ... 213?ref=hl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DonVito

Post by DonVito » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:19 pm

Beno wrote:Are you wan'ting to go cold water? or tropical community tank, or cichlids?
I'd seriously love to own a mini barramundi! Part of me wants to go freshwater, but, I did own a tropical tank, so I think I may stick to what I know.

Community would be good, as i'd have a variety of fish in there.

Any suggestions for tropical, communial tank?

Beno

Post by Beno » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:39 pm

My very first tropical community tank included - Lace Gouramies, Lemon tetras, golden sucking catfish, bristlenose catfish, platies, guppies, mollies and sword tails. These fish are all hardy and are a great starters fish. :)

How big would the tank be if you wen't with a barra?
My Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/BenosFishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; How to - Garfish/Float Rig
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/pages/BenosFis ... 213?ref=hl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DonVito

Post by DonVito » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:37 am

Beno wrote:My very first tropical community tank included - Lace Gouramies, Lemon tetras, golden sucking catfish, bristlenose catfish, platies, guppies, mollies and sword tails. These fish are all hardy and are a great starters fish. :)

How big would the tank be if you wen't with a barra?
I also had guppies, they're pretty cool.

Mmm, coming to think of it, my tank wouldn't be big enough for a barra =[ maybe next time.

DonVito

Post by DonVito » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:26 pm

Guys, just set my tank up, PH levels are good, conditioned the water, getting the temperature up..

I know you're supposed to wait a few days before you place anything in the tank, but I feel like bending the rules and going out to buy some plants/fish?

Would anybody think that's a bad idea (and if so why?), or should I go ahead?

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Last edited by shazdoggg on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

DonVito

Post by DonVito » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:18 pm

shazdoggg wrote:Im enjoying following this thread as I just purchased a 2nd hand 2ft tank with accessories and am trying to work out what fish to get. Is a 2 ft tank too small for a baby barra? Will it outgrow it too quickly?? Ive had goldfish in an outdoor pond but havent kept fish indoors. I have experience doing ph testing etc so im confident that I can quickly learn how to maintain ideal water conditions. Im wondering if getting tropical saltwater is too "difficult" for someone who is new to fishkeeping?

sorry to hijack youre thread donvito, but I didnt want to start a new topic for the same subject.

cheers shazdogg
Don't be sorry for 'hijacking' the thread. That's what forums are all about - even if the topic goes a little off hand. I wouldn't be the best to be asking in regards to the size of a tank and what not, as I merely asked the question earlier. I went to a few aquariums today and I saw a few barras in tanks no less than 3 foot. I also saw some crazy catfish that I thought were native to Thailand. Grey in color, white belly, orange tail. <- off topic but I thought it was cool.

As far as I am aware, marine "tropical saltwater" aren't a beginners setup to be trialing as a beginner. I'm trying to get my confidence back up by going back with a tropical setup! Saw a beautiful trigger fish for a marine setup today, with the price tag of $160. I don't know about you, but if "my" trigger died, at $160 dollars, I think i'd literally cry. Try tropical first and see how you go. That'd be my suggestion.

Beno

Post by Beno » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:39 pm

To Firstly answer Donvito's question.

Its not a few days you have to wait its a few weeks, many people make the mistake of not going through the nitrogen cycle!

Please read this as this is everything you need to know for the cycling process: http://fish-finatics.com/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=107

And to answer shazzdogs questions.

Fish in small tanks in store are intended for only temporary homes, its like when you go to pick a dog from a shelter. :thumbsup:
An ideal fish I think you should purchase is one of these dwarf cichlids called kribensis, they are a great addition and will definately breed if given a male and female and having the water conditions right. ph around 7.0 (neutral) is the basics.

Please do not go straight to tropical marine, I made this mistake when I first started out and make a few mistakes which had big bad consequences. One which I can not stress enough..... never use cannister filters on marine aquariums! they are nitrate factories! :shock:

Cheers Beno

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:41 pm

DonVito wrote: Saw a beautiful trigger fish for a marine setup today, with the price tag of $160. I don't know about you, but if "my" trigger died, at $160 dollars, I think i'd literally cry. Try tropical first and see how you go. That'd be my suggestion.

Slightly off topic, but I just had an animal $250 reptile die on me, I was gutted, not only at the expense, but because he was so easy to handle and small so as not to scare people.

We just set up a half drum outside, no waiting :oops: went and got a few goldfish and chucked em in, they are still going strong after a week lol. It is slightly different with a heated tank though.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”