Back in lockdown again.

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Back in lockdown again.

Post by DougieK » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:55 pm

Not being more than 5km from home would be a pain in the ass if I didn't move to Currarong a couple of months ago.

Enjoy your lockdown, peasants.

Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:08 pm

Kenle wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:03 pm
I don't understand, if we are fully vaccinated then why can't we just go about doing our business but still social distance and wear a face mask as extra protection but atleast we open up. There's alot of antivaxers and non covid believers who are kind of ruining things for everyone that's trying to do the right thing. But if they're not willing to get the jab and end up getting sick from it then it's on them. I don't think the jab is the answer to stopping the virus, but it should give us the ability to just open up and resume living with the virus
With all disrespect intended to those individuals. **** em. Ignoring this stuff doesn’t free you from the risks. The more anti vaccers that drop off the perch the better for the general community.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:12 pm

Meanwhile, in Liberal Party HQ...
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/busine ... d5dd93229d
It is not how we planned the post-Covid world but a much clearer picture of the way forward is now emerging. The next four months will be tough on children and a vast array of enterprises, particularly in Sydney and Melbourne.

We must not ignore these issues, but equally we must not ignore the fact that an “ABV” infection in parts of the Morrison government threatens our long term future as a regional virus control centre of excellence.

There is a high likelihood that by November-December we will have sufficient vaccines for all those that want to be vaccinated, including children. Vaccinating children is essential but will delay the percentage trigger points. The mental impact on younger people as well as worksite vaccinations and what is known as the “Balmain syndrome”, along with struggling enterprises, will be big issues in the next three months.

Given the looming availability of vaccines these are all issues that provide a real opening for prime minister Scott Morrison, health minister Greg Hunt, treasurer Josh Frydenberg and industrial relations minister Michaelia Cash to start clawing back some of the lead that opposition leader Anthony Albanese has established.

Sadly for the government and the nation, there are also signs of disintegration and panic deep in parts of government ranks. And that becomes dangerous for the nation when an election approaches.

If we look beyond the current crisis, we are now dealing with the first generation of vaccines, with much better vaccines still to be developed. President Trump poured vast sums into US companies like Pfizer and Moderna, who took a lead in the so-called mRNA technology and didn’t allow their knowledge to spread like AstraZeneca in the UK. Australia’s CSL partnered with AstraZeneca using conventional vaccine technology but, even without the Trump money avalanche, we are catching up to the Americans in mRNA technology. A pilot plant is imminent.
READ MORE:Revealed: NSW freedom plan for fully vaccinated|Victoria’s new local cases rise to 55|Melbourne curfew heading for the courts|Regions pay price for city drug dash

Vaccines are going to be important in every nation’s future and it is clear that we must have a strong, high technology-based vaccine development and manufacturing industry, or we will be at the whim of overseas vaccine players in subsequent generations of vaccines. Australia must develop the production and development capacity for mRNA vaccines and we are fortunate to have a global vaccine leader in CSL. The Victorian government has announced that it will help to establish a major plant when that is appropriate.

Middle-ranking CSL people met with Canberra government officials and were told there would be federal government support for such a project – provided it meets the “ABV” test. In all its global research, CSL had never heard of the “ABV” test. And then it came out: “ABV” stands for “Anywhere But Victoria”.

For CSL, it makes absolutely no sense to have plants and skills away from its technology and skills base in Victoria but if Canberra showers CSLwith enough cash, there could be a case. And “ABV” may encourage Canberra to split our vaccine efforts. The hatred of Daniel Andrews runs deep in Canberra, and NSW and Queensland is where money can be well spent to gain votes. Neither Morrison, Hunt, Frydenberg nor Cash were involved but if they succumb to the ABV infection, the nation is headed for a terrible period as we head to the election because vote-buying won’t stop there. CSL is an enormous Australian-based global pharmaceutical operation – it has never experienced anything like “ABV” anywhere else in the world.

In preparing for a pathway forward it is clear New South Wales has lost control. Victoria would have gone the same way as NSW without the latest lockdown but it remains at a dangerous point. In both our most populous states the community is seriously questioning which is worse – the virus, or the impact of the control measures. Our problem is that if restrictions are lowered the hospital system will not be able to cope.

Our children are very vulnerable to the Delta variant so must be vaccinated but that delays the achievement of 70 or 80 per cent vaccination. If we were to confine our vaccination to those people aged 18 and above and have greater community mingling, then vaccinated parents, grandparents and friends will catch the virus but may suffer no symptoms. Unknowingly, they will spread the virus to unvaccinated children.

Our younger people are being given no hope and self-harm and even suicide rates are ranking with the virus in seriousness, particularly in Victoria and NSW. A vaccinated Scott Morrison needs to cast off the divisiveness of “ABV” and become a World War II, Churchillian-style leader using our vaccine skills and looming availability as his weapon. Then comes the workplace: Qantas CEO Alan Joyce and a few other private groups are unfairly incurring the wrath of unions and others for demanding that their staff be vaccinated.

Last week, Attorney-General Michaela Cash brought together a series of groups including SafeWork Australia, which is in contact will all the state-based SafeWork and WorkSafe bodies. I think it is likely that the more responsible WorkSafe bodies will look at their legislation and realise that work sites will be very unsafe for the unvaccinated.

Just as occurs with children, vaccinated staff may well be infected and have no symptoms and pass that infection on to the unvaccinated. In NSW and Victoria I would expect in the next couple of weeks there will be some SafeWork/WorkSafe determinations on this subject.

Today, Balmain is an area where many affluent people are meeting in breach of lockdown restrictions and are open about it. It is unfair to isolate Balmain because not all residents in the area are involved and “Balmain syndrome” is prevalent in other parts of Sydney and Melbourne as the young upper middle class believe they are beyond Covid-19. If restrictions are going to be continued we will need to crack down.

Sydney has to find a way to get through its crisis until around November-December without overwhelming its hospitals and morgues. Victoria has to win its battle while easing restrictions in September and every state needs to keep the NSW virus from crossing borders. The damage in the next few months – both human and to some enterprises – will be severe, but by 2022 we will have developed the means to live with the virus and may be one of the global leaders in combating it.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:50 pm

I will agree though as a larger and larger percentage of the population is fully vaccinated there will be increasing reluctance to comply as they wont feel at risk to themselves or to most people they know who are also vaccinated. Which may be why UK opened up earlier than the 70-80%

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:23 pm

I know people are wondering how are we going to get out of this.

Below is a link to an interview with Blakely on recent developments that will drive a change in thinking.

Basically the vaccines while excellent at preventing serious illness are less successful at protecting infection with delta and even people with mild infection are shedding a lot of viral particles. Further data is coming in now on the length of time vaccines provide protection. I have had access to some pre-publication data from overseas which unfortunately I can't post here, but I can make reference to a few things in general and from other areas.

'Breakthrough' infections are being measured in vaccinated populations. Early data for Pfizer suggests the chance of infection doubles every three months after vaccination. That indicates the rate of decline of protection. This is one area where AZ seems to be performing a bit better, but it is early days with the data. I am aware of 17 new vaccines in the pipeline, however, this may not be the best long term solution.

Listen to the Blakely interview where he discusses some of this but take note of what he says from about 14 minutes onwards. There will be a fork in the road at the end of the year and you can hear his thoughts about it. With the second option we have a better chance of controlling this thing without chasing our tails but at some cost. Already you can see divisions between our leaders between option 1 and 2 and political lines are blurring. The division is more along the lines of those having had little exposure to covid and those that have. Its a tough time for all of our leaders on both sides of politics.

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/t ... y/13501554

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:09 pm

Good part of the world Dougie, no shortage of land based options.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:07 pm

Kenle wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:25 pm
laneends wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:09 pm
Kenle wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:03 pm
I don't understand, if we are fully vaccinated then why can't we just go about doing our business but still social distance and wear a face mask as extra protection but atleast we open up. There's alot of antivaxers and non covid believers who are kind of ruining things for everyone that's trying to do the right thing. But if they're not willing to get the jab and end up getting sick from it then it's on them. I don't think the jab is the answer to stopping the virus, but it should give us the ability to just open up and resume living with the virus
Not enough are vaccinated, and even if they said those that are could it would be impossible to identify to police who is and who isnt. It is likely to be all in or all out at some stage, with restrictions for unvaccinated in certain density places.
Your prob right, I'm just frustrated and having a bit of a rant :dn: wish there was a cryogenic tube where I could freeze myself and come out when the government says lock down has lifted, this is prob the smallest of problem compared to some of the losses others had to endure.
You want to be frozen and thawed in whatever year this is over, I want a time machine to go back to the womb and end it before it begins... Sadly neither is possible

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:31 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ga3Lgjvu0c

Usually he's more interest in moving mechanical machines but found his analysis into New South Sheetville Wale handling of Covid19 quite interesting with mathematical models being explained in basic terminology with straight talking language.

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:03 am

Troy McLure wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:09 pm
Good part of the world Dougie, no shortage of land based options.
The three fishing spots i've spent the most time in the last 5ish years are all less than 45 mins walk from my house. I haven't driven anywhere for a week.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:18 am

Sounds like we might be ******.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Off Topic Forum”