Bait Caster Release

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Bait Caster Release

Post by russellh2 » Sun May 03, 2020 8:07 pm

Have been fishing for 55+ years and am comfortable with using Spinning Gear ( Bait / Spinning ) as well as Fly Fishing Streams and Lakes. Recently bought a Bait-casting rig and began to practice in backyard. Set Brake as per instruction and set 7 Gram lure blank to just start to fall when release button is pressed - No thumb on spool. This is where problem starts. Have the "line release point" all sorted with spin and fly gear but am finding it very very hard to do same with Bait-caster setup - Start with rod at 3 o'clock, press spoon release bar and allow sinker to drop about 500mm frim rod tip. Clamp spool and lift rod to around 11 O'clock - cast rod and release at about 1 O'clock - Distance cast ranges from 5 feet to 20 feet- Direction = Everywhere - No consistency /////// Need some help - Videos show casting process, but very little or no details.

Sinsemilla

Re: Bait Caster Release

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun May 03, 2020 10:05 pm

What reel are you using mate? I don't really understand what your problem is but from what i can make out, either what you are casting is too light for the setup or you've got too much brake on.

Cheers, Anth

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun May 03, 2020 10:09 pm

What Anth said, 7gm might be to light for your setup

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Mon May 04, 2020 6:01 am

Heavier weight makes it easier to practice. Probably about 15-20cm line out of the rod tip, makes the lure/weight steady instead of swinging around too much.

Also the swing of the rod impacts the accuracy. Try an overhead straight line cast (like a samurai kendo) instead of side casts.

When you're confident, then you can start changing the brake, length line out, etc.
Pros usually practice casting with the same lure weight day before comps, to educate the muscle memory and set the drag etc.
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (14.63 KiB) Viewed 1767 times
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon May 04, 2020 10:52 am

Do what i did, throw it in the bin and stick to spin gear :te:

Im just kidding, i just hate the damn things. i hope you can get it going soon, tight lines!!!

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon May 04, 2020 5:03 pm

Like it's been mentioned - hard to troubleshoot without seeing you in action and feeling the setup. Potential tips from my own learning curve.

1. I started on a cheap bait cast reel that didn't really have any braking system other than the tightness knob to control the spool spin. This in hindsight (after using a little bit more advanced bait caster) impacted my learning and control of it. Once I learned how to cast on a better reel I could transition the learnings to the lesser reel but still experienced either casting distance or birds nest issues despite being significantly advanced in how to use it.

2) Over lockdown I did casting practice and learnt how to properly pitch cast. Previously it was cross body, side arm or overhead style, where I was particularly struggling for accuracy in short distances. After learning how to properly pitch cast (and manipulate/control all the variables) - I can now consistently cast within 30cm of the target at a range of upto 20-25m. Again in hindsight, I'd focus on learning pitching - leave the other casts for distance only casting needs. Overhead for 25m+, cross body/side arm for the 10-25m range if needed (but pitch always being first casting option).

3. I think it's better to have a free running spool and learning the feel of the line in correlation with your cast + learning how to feather your thumb as your lure is flying thru the air. Frustrating at first, it it forces you to be more gentle and work/learn the kinetic energy of everything VS. using power for distance. Set your lure to drop so the spool only over-runs a little after dropping - or if the birds nests are doing your head in, tighten it up just a little. IMO the lure release points for normal casts (cross body, side arm and especially overhead) are quite different on a baitcaster and have a very different approach to using "lob" VS. a spinning reel.

4. With 2+3 - start with going small (distance) and soft (casting motion) with the focus being on accuracy and consistency. You'll feel the motions and transfer of energy and should start to learn what impacts what in these motions. Pitch accurately at 5m, then 7m, then 10m etc.

Hope that helps

russellh2

Post by russellh2 » Tue May 05, 2020 2:25 pm

My Rods and Reels combo's - Reels = 1 x Okuma Calera C5-266W /// 1 X Diawa Laguna 100HS - Both spooled with 20Lb Icon Braid ( Spooled by Compleat Anglers Lavington / Albury / NSW ) - Each mounted on a Shimano River Raider 631 - Rating = 3-6Kg // Lure Weight 5-15 Grams

Comments/ Help appreciated.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue May 05, 2020 4:31 pm

Reply thanking for help appreciated (so many help threads with no replies from the help requester = frustrating). Those reels look fine, way better than my starting reel. I checked what I've been practicing with, 20g lure (Savage gear pop frog) - agree with other feedback to up your casting weight - let us know how you progress!

russellh2

Post by russellh2 » Tue May 05, 2020 5:10 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone - Shall upgrade to a heavier weight - More practice, practice, practice - Shall certainly advise progress. - happyfriggincamper - Needed to provide details of rod/reel combo as suggested - Still thanks to all.

Gultch78
Has liked: 312 times

Post by Gultch78 » Tue May 05, 2020 6:40 pm

Motackle special if any one is interested
Attachments
Screenshot_20200505-183832_Samsung Internet.jpg
I was a premium member before it was cool #aheadofthepack

Return to “Off Topic Forum”