Swags

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Swags

Post by Kimtown » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:06 pm

Probably looking at a new swag when the government gives me some dough back in a couple weeks

The Kings big daddy has a good rep and an unbeatable price, any one recommend? Or any other alternatives?

StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Re: Swags

Post by StarrangerAU » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:44 pm

From a quality POV ... I have been very happy with my DARCHE purchase a few years ago. Probably a bit more pricey that Big daddy... but worth the extra expense.

https://darche.com.au/swags

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:25 pm

I have the big daddy and as its aptly named it is big! I have three daughters aged 7,10 and 12 and they all sleep in it quite comfortably. If you do go the big daddy I recommend the 70mm mattress as opposed to the 50, just that little bit more comfortable

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:38 pm

Wouldn't this off the ground model be better ? ( I'm not a camper )
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:04 pm

I have been using the Oztrail Stockade stretcher tent for the last couple of years and absolutely love it.

https://www.snowys.com.au/ultimate-all- ... her-single (i wrote a small review on this site too).

It takes about 5mins to set up and pull down once you get the hang on if (check out Snowys videos on YouTube). You can store your essentials under the stretcher and you have a small space to get changed etc if you need to. I also use a self inflatable sleeping pad and normally dont even do up my sleeping bag as it gets quite warm inside when its all closed up even when its approaching 0c outside.

My biggest worry was how it would perform in wet conditions, and that was answered on our last trip where there was a torrential downpour on the first night. I was positive it would be at least a little wet inside, but to my surprise it hadnt leaked a drop and continued to hold up for the rest of the night without leaking at all.

The downside.. you have to be careful when setting up the tent because i had a pole bend on my first tent when i was a bit too rough on it the first time i set it up. Luckily it was replaced under warranty and i havent had that problem since. And also because it only has a single layer fly and then flyscreen it means any condensation will drip into the tent a little. Its not a huge issue, but it does happen. Some sort of vent would be great if they redesign it.

As an alternative.. if i had more cash to spend i would go with the Oztent RV. I first saw them at the caravan and camping show and the guy put it up in less than 30 seconds. There are many options you can get for it for more storage space or people and you can link up two or more tents. But they arent cheap.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:18 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:04 pm
I have been using the Oztrail Stockade stretcher tent for the last couple of years and absolutely love it.

https://www.snowys.com.au/ultimate-all- ... her-single (i wrote a small review on this site too).

It takes about 5mins to set up and pull down once you get the hang on if (check out Snowys videos on YouTube). You can store your essentials under the stretcher and you have a small space to get changed etc if you need to. I also use a self inflatable sleeping pad and normally dont even do up my sleeping bag as it gets quite warm inside when its all closed up even when its approaching 0c outside.

My biggest worry was how it would perform in wet conditions, and that was answered on our last trip where there was a torrential downpour on the first night. I was positive it would be at least a little wet inside, but to my surprise it hadnt leaked a drop and continued to hold up for the rest of the night without leaking at all.

The downside.. you have to be careful when setting up the tent because i had a pole bend on my first tent when i was a bit too rough on it the first time i set it up. Luckily it was replaced under warranty and i havent had that problem since. And also because it only has a single layer fly and then flyscreen it means any condensation will drip into the tent a little. Its not a huge issue, but it does happen. Some sort of vent would be great if they redesign it.

As an alternative.. if i had more cash to spend i would go with the Oztent RV. I first saw them at the caravan and camping show and the guy put it up in less than 30 seconds. There are many options you can get for it for more storage space or people and you can link up two or more tents. But they arent cheap.

Nice write-up Steveo :thumbsup:

Cheers Buggeo

westvic
Has liked: 155 times

Post by westvic » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:26 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:04 pm

Thanks for that. I really like this idea.For what I do this would be a perfect fishing trip setup coupled with an awning off the 4WD

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:52 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:06 pm
Probably looking at a new swag when the government gives me some dough back in a couple weeks

The Kings big daddy has a good rep and an unbeatable price, any one recommend? Or any other alternatives?
If space is a problem those kings big daddy swags are absolutely massive once rolled. It takes almost half a duel cab utes tub. If that isn't a problem for you then they are a decent swag.

My brother has one and to get it smaller he got a coleman blow up mattress and threw the foam mattress away. Once you suck the air out of the blow up mattress its paper thin and saves a lot of space once you roll the swag up. Doing this you can get it down to a third of it's size rolled up.

I have the Double swag from Techniice. Which was around $170. I threw the foam mattress away and got myself a Sea To Summit Comfort Deluxe Inflatable Insulated Mat. I can roll my swag up to a 200-300mm thick roll and can fit easily in the back seat on the floor of a car. With this setup and a good sleeping bag i have stayed in just under 0 degrees temps and have been comfortable.

Cheers, Anth

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:12 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:52 pm
Kimtown wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:06 pm

If space is a problem those kings big daddy swags are absolutely massive once rolled. It takes almost half a duel cab utes tub. If that isn't a problem for you then they are a decent swag.

My brother has one and to get it smaller he got a coleman blow up mattress and threw the foam mattress away. Once you suck the air out of the blow up mattress its paper thin and saves a lot of space once you roll the swag up. Doing this you can get it down to a third of it's size rolled up.

I have the Double swag from Techniice. Which was around $170. I threw the foam mattress away and got myself a Sea To Summit Comfort Deluxe Inflatable Insulated Mat. I can roll my swag up to a 200-300mm thick roll and can fit easily in the back seat on the floor of a car. With this setup and a good sleeping bag i have stayed in just under 0 degrees temps and have been comfortable.

Cheers, Anth
Love the idea of replacing the foam mattress with a blow up. I dont know why all this time i've never actually thought to use my blow up mattress in my swag haha... never knew techniice made swags either.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:34 pm

I have the kings big daddy and the one down from it both are great quick and easy.
I have a kings awning on the side of the cruiser with the angled end pieces in strong wind the awning poles the horizontal ones do tend to bend, I made poles to support them half way along. The big daddy fits under the angled end pieces. Makes setting camp up quick and plenty of space, ground sheet down two swags under the ends campfire lit bottle of red job done.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”