Peg Board storage solutions.

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Peg Board storage solutions.

Post by purple5ive » Wed May 08, 2019 2:10 pm

Fellow members.
i am in the process of undertaking a DIY pegboard storage solution for my shed.
My aim is to make a vertical extension to my current shelving system to hold my tools and whatever is left lying on the shelves so i can have more room on the currently occupied shelving, and perhaps cram more fishing/boating related stuff in there hahaha
rough area of board is around 1800mm x 1000mm
have any of you done similar, or have any pics or ideas you have come across.
feel free to discuss options, costs involved and ideas etc etc..

for those who got no idea what im talking about

i will make this a work in progress thread and post some pics as i go.

i figured id post this here in case others were contemplating similar ideas and share information between members..
cheers

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Peg Board storage solutions.

Post by Mattblack » Wed May 08, 2019 3:07 pm

peg board.jpg

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed May 08, 2019 3:40 pm

hahaha - Thats certainly not what i had in mind!!!

Ps - i do feel bad for your wife though if she has to resort to this sorta stuff to satisfy herself!!

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Wed May 08, 2019 4:08 pm

I've built a few, usually out of a plywood sheet and nails/screws to hold the tools.

Keep it simple - don't arrange it for tools you may or may not have in the future, just arrange it for the stuff you have now. If you intend on buying more tools in the near future, buy them before you build your pegboard.

Figure out which tools you use the most often, place them in the centre at head height. Stuff you don't use often can be higher and to the sides.

Don't hang heavy hammers, wrenches etc on cheap chipboard. Eventually the wood will tear and the whole thing turns ugly. If you have to hang heavy items, drive a nail right through the board and into a wall stud behind it.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed May 08, 2019 4:12 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 3:40 pm
hahaha - Thats certainly not what i had in mind!!!

Ps - i do feel bad for your wife though if she has to resort to this sorta stuff to satisfy herself!!
I just googled "Bream fisherman's garage wall" and wha-la!

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed May 08, 2019 4:21 pm

Aaron75 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:08 pm
I've built a few, usually out of a plywood sheet and nails/screws to hold the tools.

Keep it simple - don't arrange it for tools you may or may not have in the future, just arrange it for the stuff you have now. If you intend on buying more tools in the near future, buy them before you build your pegboard.

Figure out which tools you use the most often, place them in the centre at head height. Stuff you don't use often can be higher and to the sides.

Don't hang heavy hammers, wrenches etc on cheap chipboard. Eventually the wood will tear and the whole thing turns ugly. If you have to hang heavy items, drive a nail right through the board and into a wall stud behind it.
Thanks man.
Tools are mostly just power tool skins and other similar suff, so nothing heavy, all the heavy stuff will go on the shelving. thanks for the tips, ill keep them in mind when designing the board.
the board im using will be the masonite stuff from bunnings, do you suggest i buy something else like the metal ones?

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Wed May 08, 2019 4:57 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:21 pm

the board im using will be the masonite stuff from bunnings, do you suggest i buy something else like the metal ones?
The masonite will be OK if it's just your own stuff and you're reasonably careful. The boards I've built in farm workshops have had a dozen or more rough b*stards slamming big hammers and pipe wrenches against them for years.

You also need a space behind the board so the pegs can go through it and brace against the back of it. If you screw a pegboard straight onto a flat wall you can't get the pegs on it.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed May 08, 2019 5:13 pm

Aaron75 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:57 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:21 pm

The masonite will be OK if it's just your own stuff and you're reasonably careful. The boards I've built in farm workshops have had a dozen or more rough b*stards slamming big hammers and pipe wrenches against them for years.

You also need a space behind the board so the pegs can go through it and brace against the back of it. If you screw a pegboard straight onto a flat wall you can't get the pegs on it.
yep will be room behind it, i made sure i wasnt going to make that mistake haha.
all will be my own tools which i have collected over the years. im generally careful with my stuff.
cheers

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed May 08, 2019 8:02 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 3:07 pm
peg board.jpg
:rofl: Fully depress trigger for maximum fun

Gultch78
Has liked: 312 times

Post by Gultch78 » Wed May 08, 2019 9:22 pm

Peg boards are good for hand tools but electrical tools, cordless skins and batts should be stored in a cupboard to prevent excess dust accumulating
I was a premium member before it was cool #aheadofthepack

Return to “Off Topic Forum”