Anzac Day

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Anzac Day

Post by rb85 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:12 pm

Happy Anzac Day a day to pay respect for the people who heroically fought for this great country and honour those who paid the ultimate price so we can live a good life.

Attended the dawn service about to watch the footy and have a few beers.

Jasonfish1234
Has liked: 234 times

Re: Anzac Day

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:13 pm

rb85 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:12 pm
Happy Anzac Day a day to pay respect for the people who heroically fought for this great country and honour those who paid the ultimate price so we can live a good life.

Attended the dawn service about to watch the footy and have a few beers.
That Struya spirit mate.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:54 pm

Now that’s over channel 7 can stop trying to compare footballers to war veterans.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:05 pm

One scene showed a soldier holding up a radio hand piece to his ear in battle and the next scene showed one of the coaches in the same position with a phone...

Very tacky indeed comparing two scenes one from war depicting life or death and a plain football game, poor form.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:17 pm

hornet wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:05 pm
One scene showed a soldier holding up a radio hand piece to his ear in battle and the next scene showed one of the coaches in the same position with a phone...

Very tacky indeed comparing two scenes one from war depicting life or death and a plain football game, poor form.
Couldn't agree more.

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:00 pm

I didn’t watch the game but if the broadcasters were comparing football to what the ANZACs did and sacrificed they should hang their heads in shame.

I set up the kayak before first light at Altona, had our own dawn service by the car with two of my mates then launched after first light. Picked up a bag of squid and had a ball watching the old planes flying in formation doing laps of north PPB. It was a ripper morning to appreciate what we are all so lucky to have :cheers:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:05 pm

Nightwish wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:17 pm
hornet wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

Ditto here.

Also , , , , when Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner came out, that got hero status over returned Service Personnel who lost both legs in battle , , , , what a very skewed world we live in.

Anyway, moving on

Anzac-Australia-New-Zealand.jpg
(Photo off the internet, I get funny taking photos at commemorations)

Went to the Semaphore (SA) Dawn Service , , , , boy I was rugged up , , , , but man o man, the nose froze sssshiiissh.

Payed respects, not only for those that have given their lives for us , , , , but for the sacrifices that get un-mentioned , , , , the missed "Daughter's Birthdays" while overseas, the missed "passing of a friend back at home and not being able to be their for the funeral" , , , , and it goes on & on & on , , , , the sacrifices are innumerable.

Heart felt gratitude to all who served in the Services.

Dad is on the left in both photos

A stint in the Army

DocImage000000034.png

And then the Air-force (yep, believe it or not Greece DOES have planes)
Dad Airforce.JPG

My Parents come from a Greek Island, Lemnos, which was pivotal in the Gallipoli Assult. It was the base & staging area for the Anzacs. Strong ties exist between the Lemnians and the Anzacs

Lest we forget a.PNG
Lest we forget a.PNG (72.96 KiB) Viewed 1753 times

Lest we forget

Bill

rb85

Post by rb85 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:40 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:00 pm
I didn’t watch the game but if the broadcasters were comparing football to what the ANZACs did and sacrificed they should hang their heads in shame.

I set up the kayak before first light at Altona, had our own dawn service by the car with two of my mates then launched after first light. Picked up a bag of squid and had a ball watching the old planes flying in formation doing laps of north PPB. It was a ripper morning to appreciate what we are all so lucky to have :cheers:
Great day out

rb85

Post by rb85 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:43 pm

Nightwish wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:17 pm
hornet wrote:

Couldn't agree more.
It was pretty pathetic the “football heroics” can be put aside by the afl 7 marketing departments.
Pay respect for the war veterans then enjoy the game in commemoration without the ridiculous graphics cutting from war/military scenes to football.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:57 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:05 pm

Went to the Semaphore (SA) Dawn Service , , , , boy I was rugged up , , , , but man o man, the nose froze sssshiiissh.

Lest we forget

Bill

G'day (well Gd'evening)

Normally I attend some Anzac Service somewhere. Last year was at Semaphore (SA) but with the Covid, all has been re-aligned with "Light up the Dawn"

Light up the Dawn.JPG

Well, I shall be out in the Driveway with a Candle tomorrow morn. It's amazing how reflective one can get, when you start thinking of all that has been done by so many to serve our country.

Anyone else going to "Light up the Dawn" tomorrow morning?

Cheers, Bugs

Return to “Off Topic Forum”