Being friendly to animals

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
Bugatti

Re: Being friendly to animals

Post by Bugatti » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:59 am

j_pap wrote:
Except for when you put a fish in a bucket, or a knife through its head. Just sayin
j_pap , , , , you're not just sayin , , , , you ARE exactly right.

The whole reason I started this thread/conversation was to highlight the miss understanding of what some non-fishers think, that Fishers are cruel people, which we are not. Everybody draws their "line" where they see fit. Fishers in my mind (as a whole) are not cruel.

My comment of rescue awareness, is that animals realise at a point of the "capture" if it is a rescue OR if it is a demise of/or a threat to their existence.
deathray wrote:
Very interesting paradox you raise. A while ago I was quite chuffed about catching a seagull and removing a rig from around its neck....before getting back to business and sticking a big hook in the back of a live baitfish.
I agree deathray, it is a paradox. I would put it in the category of "most living creatures eat other living creatures" and "live baiting" is just part of that process. Example: a worm wriggles in pain when put on a hook but not seen in the same light as a "live" fish being put on a hook. The larger the fish, the more respect we give it , , , , why ???? Using a living creature to catch another living creature for food is just an extra step , , , , fish eats the worm (part of nature, which we utilise) so we can eat the fish.

Further that paradox to "humanely killed" , , , , how do we know it is humane? Do the living creatures tell us? Humanely killed is still shortening that living creatures life , , , , is that humane ????
Brownie wrote: It is interesting. A lot of people see fish entirely different to how they do other living creatures, apart from the obvious, water. I know several people who hate the idea of humans killing another living being to eat, who will happily eat fish or prawns. I can ask them why they dont eat red meat or chicken and they say because it's cruel. :-D
And Brownie, your comment is the crunch of the paradox/conundrum.

Hunters are seen differently to Fishers, worst by most. Most people would say that drowning/suffocating is one of the worst deaths , , , , which is what in essence happens to fish out of water but not openly acknowledged. I mostly seawater slurry my catch even when land-based (except I Karate chop the squid which kills them instantly) but that is my choice. Some Fishers dispatch their catch, even garfish, which is their choice. Others do as they see fit. Each to their own.

Lastly on humans killing another living being to eat , , , , most creatures eat other creatures, which is seen as "nature". Most of these creatures eat the other creature while it is still living, which is paramount to our biggest fears of being eaten alive by a creature (shark). We as humans kill our dinner before we eat it.

Everyone draws their own moral line to their beliefs. Not withstanding malicious cruelty, fishers get a bad wrap.

Hence this thread, is a showcase of us as humans being "human" to our fellow creatures of this Earth

j_pap

Post by j_pap » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:07 am

I definitely dont enjoy the killing part. Catching and being in the outdoors are pretty enjoyable. So is the cooking and eating part. Have a good one

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:09 pm

Have had a few Seagulls and mutton birds rescued a few times.

im not a fan of killing if you dont want to take it home, and its one of the reasons i dont fish for carp, been threatened before due to the very same reason when i was fishing and released an eagle ray. the bloke next to me said to kill it and i said No, i dont kill things im not going to keep. he then proceeded to tell me that if he catches the same eagle ray he will bash my head in, i told him to keep dreaming...

at appolo bay seen a baby port jackson shark on the pier still alive, went to throw it back in and got threatened by the guy standing next to it, it was night time and i was with family so i didnt pursue it any further..

im not a fan of hunting either, something about it that puts me off..

most of my fishing was catch and release and some species like bream still are for me, but now since parents are retired i try and take home some fish for them.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:19 pm

Back in "2014" when I was fishing a medium to deep stretch of the Leven River at Gunns Plains I heard some splashing going on in some thick debris in the river close to the river bank. The first thing that came to mind was that it was a large brown feeding on Galaxia's. Then I noticed something larger moving in the debris, closer inspection I found it to be a small Wallaby tangled up in it. It had fallen from the high river bank & lobbed into it.. After some five minutes or so of breaking away the debris (tree branches etc) I managed to grab the little fella and get it out. It stayed quite calm all the time I was getting it out too which surprised me seeing the way it was thrashing around before I reached it. I feel it knew I was helping it and I talked softly ( like, "hang in there little one, I'll soon have you out of here") to it while I was trying to free it. Once free it swam across to the shallow side of the river, then looked back at me before it headed off into the scrub.. I felt really good that I happened to be there at the right time to help save the dear little thing...

cheers
Adrian..
Pulled this young Wallaby out of debris in the Leven River. (Medium).jpg
Saved this young Wallaby in the Leven River..
Last edited by meppstas on Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:04 pm

Bugatti wrote:
j_pap wrote:
Except for when you put a fish in a bucket, or a knife through its head. Just sayin
j_pap , , , , you're not just sayin , , , , you ARE exactly right.

The whole reason I started this thread/conversation was to highlight the miss understanding of what some non-fishers think, that Fishers are cruel people, which we are not. Everybody draws their "line" where they see fit. Fishers in my mind (as a whole) are not cruel.

My comment of rescue awareness, is that animals realise at a point of the "capture" if it is a rescue OR if it is a demise of/or a threat to their existence.
deathray wrote:
Very interesting paradox you raise. A while ago I was quite chuffed about catching a seagull and removing a rig from around its neck....before getting back to business and sticking a big hook in the back of a live baitfish.
I agree deathray, it is a paradox. I would put it in the category of "most living creatures eat other living creatures" and "live baiting" is just part of that process. Example: a worm wriggles in pain when put on a hook but not seen in the same light as a "live" fish being put on a hook. The larger the fish, the more respect we give it , , , , why ???? Using a living creature to catch another living creature for food is just an extra step , , , , fish eats the worm (part of nature, which we utilise) so we can eat the fish.

Further that paradox to "humanely killed" , , , , how do we know it is humane? Do the living creatures tell us? Humanely killed is still shortening that living creatures life , , , , is that humane ????
Brownie wrote: It is interesting. A lot of people see fish entirely different to how they do other living creatures, apart from the obvious, water. I know several people who hate the idea of humans killing another living being to eat, who will happily eat fish or prawns. I can ask them why they dont eat red meat or chicken and they say because it's cruel. :-D
And Brownie, your comment is the crunch of the paradox/conundrum.

Hunters are seen differently to Fishers, worst by most. Most people would say that drowning/suffocating is one of the worst deaths , , , , which is what in essence happens to fish out of water but not openly acknowledged. I mostly seawater slurry my catch even when land-based (except I Karate chop the squid which kills them instantly) but that is my choice. Some Fishers dispatch their catch, even garfish, which is their choice. Others do as they see fit. Each to their own.

Lastly on humans killing another living being to eat , , , , most creatures eat other creatures, which is seen as "nature". Most of these creatures eat the other creature while it is still living, which is paramount to our biggest fears of being eaten alive by a creature (shark). We as humans kill our dinner before we eat it.

Everyone draws their own moral line to their beliefs. Not withstanding malicious cruelty, fishers get a bad wrap.

Hence this thread, is a showcase of us as humans being "human" to our fellow creatures of this Earth
So which fish called "Your posts are from a first grader" again ??????????? :notworthy: :notworthy:

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:45 pm

I got stung getting a bee out of the pool the other day.

j_pap

Post by j_pap » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:53 pm

purple5ive wrote:Have had a few Seagulls and mutton birds rescued a few times.

im not a fan of killing if you dont want to take it home, and its one of the reasons i dont fish for carp, been threatened before due to the very same reason when i was fishing and released an eagle ray. the bloke next to me said to kill it and i said No, i dont kill things im not going to keep. he then proceeded to tell me that if he catches the same eagle ray he will bash my head in, i told him to keep dreaming...

at appolo bay seen a baby port jackson shark on the pier still alive, went to throw it back in and got threatened by the guy standing next to it, it was night time and i was with family so i didnt pursue it any further..

im not a fan of hunting either, something about it that puts me off..

most of my fishing was catch and release and some species like bream still are for me, but now since parents are retired i try and take home some fish for them.
Man there are so many idiots who fish. I cant stand them sort of pricks

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:07 pm

Mattblack wrote:I got stung getting a bee out of the pool the other day.
Man saves bee, bee stings man, bee dies because it stung a man. There has to be a moral to that story similar to the frog and the scorpion crossing the river. Can't seem to come up with one at this moment though. :-D

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:19 pm

Brownie wrote:
Mattblack wrote:I got stung getting a bee out of the pool the other day.
Man saves bee, bee stings man, bee dies because it stung a man. There has to be a moral to that story similar to the frog and the scorpion crossing the river. Can't seem to come up with one at this moment though. :-D
Moral of the story is dont try and save a drowning bee..they're ungrateful little fckers

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:31 pm

meppstas wrote:
I feel it knew I was helping it and I talked softly ( like, "hang in there little one, I'll soon have you out of here") to it while I was trying to free it. Once free it swam across to the shallow side of the river, then looked back at me before it headed off into the scrub.. I felt really good that I happened to be there at the right time to help save the dear little thing...

cheers
Adrian..
Wow Adrian, that is a real nice story, I bet it is going to be a cherished memory for ages. A really nice thing you did.

Roos, even Joeys, can get quite aggressive and can even do a lot of harm to a person, especially a Roo in duress. BUT how it knew you were rescuing it and your soft reassurance to it, and how the little fella was with you, just shows they do know. It would have been a nice warming moment when you both realised about each other. A very special moment, for both of you.

On another point, you saved one of our Coat of Arms animals.
Australian-coat-of-arms-650px.jpg
Brownie wrote:I once rescued a little orphaned joey on my way to go fishing with a mate on the coast..

If it wasn't for you Adrian and Brownie it might have looked like this.
Australian-coat-of-arms-650 2px.jpg
Well done Adrian

Return to “Off Topic Forum”