Private health insurance

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
smile0784
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 6101
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Re: Private health insurance

Postby smile0784 » Mon May 07, 2018 7:13 pm

4liters wrote:If it’s serious Medicare covers it, even if it’s a result self inflicted stupidity.

Mum’s had cancer twice and never paid a cent to have it treated, both times the doctor had her under the knife within days of the positive test results.

Private health is good for non emergency quality of life stuff like hip replacements or laser eye surgery etc, although for people just starting their working life it would probably work out more cost effective to put away the same amount of money in a high interest account each month instead, and draw on that if you ever need surgery.


For cancer they act quickly in public.or private. time is a factor then. But for elective stuff your waiting year to have it done in a.public hospital

For example my mum needed a.knee replacement and was in sever pain and couldnt walk with out morphine tablets amd was put on the public waiting list and the pain killers they increased every few monththe pain and 3 years later was still waiting.
I told her to sign up to private and told her about the 1 year waiting list so she did. 3 days after the 1 year was up the private hospital booked her in get both knees done one after the other.
9 months later she got a phone call saying she has progress in the list for public and she have surgery done in the next year. Lol
Last edited by smile0784 on Mon May 07, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Remove these ads.

User avatar
Fish-cador
Rank: Kingfish
Rank: Kingfish
Posts: 6073
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: Private health insurance

Postby Fish-cador » Mon May 07, 2018 7:14 pm

cantcatchem wrote:
At $11,000 a year it would be cheaper to just pay for any emergency operation you may require, this is the most ridiculous advice I have ever heard of, never had private health insurance and never needed it, even when my wife had a stroke everything was taken care of quickly and efficiently without any further cost to me

where, public hospital? I assume you dont have life insurance too.

It is called insurance. If you ever need it, you have something to lean on to.

User avatar
Fish-cador
Rank: Kingfish
Rank: Kingfish
Posts: 6073
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: Private health insurance

Postby Fish-cador » Mon May 07, 2018 7:19 pm

smile0784 wrote:
For cancer they act quickly in public.or private. time is a factor then. But for elective stuff your waiting year to have it done in a.public hospital


I know someone who was suffering very badly due to a shoulder injury. She waited 2 years for her time to go under the knife in the public hospital. She was already in the OR ready to go inhale the meds when an emergency came in. She was unceremoniously wheeled out of the OR, given her clothes back and was told to wait for their call. It took another 2 years for her to enter the OR.

User avatar
Fish-cador
Rank: Kingfish
Rank: Kingfish
Posts: 6073
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: Private health insurance

Postby Fish-cador » Mon May 07, 2018 7:22 pm

denis barden wrote:Private health cover=A load of rubbish=Near as big a Fairytale as Braid over Mono
Years ago I was paying $50 a week=$2500 a year for 10 years=$25,000-Never used it
If you are in Car accident TAC Pays
If you hurt at work -Workers comp pays
If you are really crook you go to hospital by Ambo and get Emergency Service -Medicare pays
The Health Insurance Companies say-You select your doctor -Nobody knows a specialist in each field-=Weasel Words to get your Dollars

I am not going to pay extra tax levy for not having one. I might as well pay for insurance and rest easy than give the tax man extra gold coins to be given to dole bludgers.

Nude up
Rank: Murray Cod
Rank: Murray Cod
Posts: 4997
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: out west

Re: Private health insurance

Postby Nude up » Mon May 07, 2018 7:24 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Nude up wrote:I am with defence health my wife has had both her knees replaced when she wanted and she chose the surgeon. I am on the top cover costs about $330 a month


Just out of curiousity what other cost were involved like anethitist cost that werent covered by insurance


She had them done in Windsor private hospital using the Melbourne orthepiedic group cost about $2000 for the first one about $5000 for the second but she could have shopped around and had them cheaper. My mate had his done in Geelong private and didn’t cost anywhere near that if you are not fussy on your surgeon or which hospital it does pay to use the surgeons,hospital your health fund has arrangements with.

smile0784
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 6101
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Re: Private health insurance

Postby smile0784 » Mon May 07, 2018 7:28 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
For cancer they act quickly in public.or private. time is a factor then. But for elective stuff your waiting year to have it done in a.public hospital


I know someone who was suffering very badly due to a shoulder injury. She waited 2 years for her time to go under the knife in the public hospital. She was already in the OR ready to go inhale the meds when an emergency came in. She was unceremoniously wheeled out of the OR, given her clothes back and was told to wait for their call. It took another 2 years for her to enter the OR.


That public system for you



Remove these ads.

Lightningx
Rank: Mako Shark
Rank: Mako Shark
Posts: 7757
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:21 pm

Re: Private health insurance

Postby Lightningx » Mon May 07, 2018 7:54 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
Just out of curiousity what other cost were involved like anethitist cost that werent covered by insurance


some meds, bandages, lap dancer, KFC. :-)

:rofl: :rofl:

User avatar
mingle
Rank: Australian Salmon
Rank: Australian Salmon
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:27 pm
Location: West Gippy

Re: Private health insurance

Postby mingle » Mon May 07, 2018 8:02 pm

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you there, based on not only my family and own personal experience, but also on close friends and their relatives.

Whenever I've been to hospital (more than a dozen times) with both my kids, myself and my wife, we've always had great care and the medical staff are never in a rush to get us out of there. On a couple of occasions I've been keen to go, but was kept in for additional tests and checks to make sure all was well.

Not once have I ever felt I was being brushed-off, or being pushed to leave, or fobbed off with the "take a couple of panadol and see your GP in the morning" excuse.

Perhaps it's just the Monash Medical Centre that's a cut-above, but I doubt it. Friends and relos have related similar experiences at Casey, Dande (yup!) and the Royal Children's. Perhaps it's not perfect for everyone, every single time, but I can say I've had no problems at all.

I'm happy to pay the medicare levy, rather than line the pockets of the CEO of some private health fund...

Mike.

smile0784 wrote:Theres a big difference between public hospital treatment and the speed things happen and private.

Public unless you having a heart attack or major fracture arm your sent home unless your old.
Private hospital admitt almost every that does through the door

User avatar
Sinsemilla
Rank: Bream
Rank: Bream
Posts: 1059
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:35 pm
Location: Northern Subs

Re: Private health insurance

Postby Sinsemilla » Mon May 07, 2018 8:17 pm

mingle wrote:I'm afraid I have to disagree with you there, based on not only my family and own personal experience, but also on close friends and their relatives.

Whenever I've been to hospital (more than a dozen times) with both my kids, myself and my wife, we've always had great care and the medical staff are never in a rush to get us out of there. On a couple of occasions I've been keen to go, but was kept in for additional tests and checks to make sure all was well.

Not once have I ever felt I was being brushed-off, or being pushed to leave, or fobbed off with the "take a couple of panadol and see your GP in the morning" excuse.

Perhaps it's just the Monash Medical Centre that's a cut-above, but I doubt it. Friends and relos have related similar experiences at Casey, Dande (yup!) and the Royal Children's. Perhaps it's not perfect for everyone, every single time, but I can say I've had no problems at all.

I'm happy to pay the medicare levy, rather than line the pockets of the CEO of some private health fund...

Mike.


You do get a better service at private hospitals but as you said there is nothing wrong with public hospitals, well most of them..
I've found that depending on which public hospital it is, dictates the quality of service you get. for example; If i broke my leg in front of the northern hospital in Epping i would drag myself to the Austin hospital in Heidelberg.

Anth

Yota
Rank: Cephalopod
Rank: Cephalopod
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:28 pm
Location: Crazyburn 3064

Re: Private health insurance

Postby Yota » Mon May 07, 2018 9:05 pm

100% agree with you there Anth, Northern hospital is the pits. I’ve got a story from there - very ordinary place, atrocious actually.
I’ve got private health insurance, used it a couple times over the years no issue and I’m 48, I’ll just keep on paying it now coz I know I’ll definitely use it due to my family history of hip and shoulder replacements.
Almost 30 years ago I required 2 knee arthroscopies and payed for them out of my own pocket at a private place, best option for me back then. But now I’d much rather have private health.



Remove these ads.


Return to “Off Topic Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: grinderz and 8 guests