Private health insurance

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
smile0784
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 6996
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Private health insurance

Postby smile0784 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:55 am

Im looking into it because Ive had a sore back for years and my local dr who bulk bills just keeps giving me painkillers with out looking into things further following a back injury 3 year ago and i keep aggravating it doing day to day things and possible treatment mite be surgery (expensive)
And i mite need some dental work done in a few years.

Just wondering who has it and is it worth it?



Remove these ads.

User avatar
scott__henning
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 1030
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:10 am
Location: Traralgon

Re: Private health insurance

Postby scott__henning » Mon May 07, 2018 7:33 am

Yes it’s worth having.

As with most insurances, it seems expensive until you have the need to use it

User avatar
Fish-cador
Rank: Kingfish
Rank: Kingfish
Posts: 6156
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: Private health insurance

Postby Fish-cador » Mon May 07, 2018 7:38 am

Private health insurance companies run a business. They need to make money. They provide very little return for your premiums except when you are hospital bound. Greedy buggers. We have maternity cover we can't remove because they will remove physio, chiro, etc with it.

You may have to declare your condition. You may not get covered on your pre existing conditions.

I have a cover paying almost $11,000 per year for top family cover with nil excess. No queuing for surgery. No shortage of bed. If you come in the morning for consultations you can be in the operating table the next day even for broken finger nails. That's how easy it is if you have private health cover.

smile0784
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 6996
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Re: Private health insurance

Postby smile0784 » Mon May 07, 2018 7:58 am

Fish-cador wrote:Private health insurance companies run a business. They need to make money. They provide very little return for your premiums except when you are hospital bound. Greedy buggers. We have maternity cover we can't remove because they will remove physio, chiro, etc with it.

You may have to declare your condition. You may not get covered on your pre existing conditions.

I have a cover paying almost $11,000 per year for top family cover with nil excess. No queuing for surgery. No shortage of bed. If you come in the morning for consultations you can be in the operating table the next day even for broken finger nails. That's how easy it is if you have private health cover.


Your right theres pros and cons to having it.
I know the hospital charge $700 a night for uninsured patients just to sit in the bed not including any procedures

I know knee repacements can cost upto 25 to 30k for hospital stays.

I o think most insurance companies have a 1 year waiting list for pre existing injuries.

benders
Rank: Cephalopod
Rank: Cephalopod
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Private health insurance

Postby benders » Mon May 07, 2018 1:18 pm

The cheapest and generally the best are the not for profit ones. If you can get into defence health, nurses federation health police union or teachers union etc they are the way to go. There will be a 12 month wait though as mentioned previous.

Nude up
Rank: Kingfish
Rank: Kingfish
Posts: 5147
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: out west

Re: Private health insurance

Postby Nude up » Mon May 07, 2018 1:25 pm

I am with defence health my wife has had both her knees replaced when she wanted and she chose the surgeon. I am on the top cover costs about $330 a month



Remove these ads.

smile0784
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 6996
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Re: Private health insurance

Postby smile0784 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:28 pm

I didnt know nurses fed had health insurance.
Ill look into them thanks

User avatar
skouta
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:37 pm

Re: Private health insurance

Postby skouta » Mon May 07, 2018 1:45 pm

You are most likely going to be hit with a 12 month waiting period due to an existing condition.

So way up the paying of 12 x monthly premiums vs the cost of the surgery.

Also keep in mind there may still be out of pocket expenses under Private Health Insurance...
"I only caught one - the rest surrendered"

smile0784
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 6996
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Re: Private health insurance

Postby smile0784 » Mon May 07, 2018 2:26 pm

Nude up wrote:I am with defence health my wife has had both her knees replaced when she wanted and she chose the surgeon. I am on the top cover costs about $330 a month


Just out of curiousity what other cost were involved like anethitist cost that werent covered by insurance

smile0784
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 6996
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Re: Private health insurance

Postby smile0784 » Mon May 07, 2018 2:39 pm

skouta wrote:You are most likely going to be hit with a 12 month waiting period due to an existing condition.

So way up the paying of 12 x monthly premiums vs the cost of the surgery.

Also keep in mind there may still be out of pocket expenses under Private Health Insurance...


Good point. If need surgery l looking at $50+k so always thinking about the costs lol



Remove these ads.


Return to “Off Topic Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests