Private health insurance

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Private health insurance

Post by 4liters » Mon May 07, 2018 9:17 pm

smile0784 wrote:
4liters wrote:If it’s serious Medicare covers it, even if it’s a result self inflicted stupidity.

Mum’s had cancer twice and never paid a cent to have it treated, both times the doctor had her under the knife within days of the positive test results.

Private health is good for non emergency quality of life stuff like hip replacements or laser eye surgery etc, although for people just starting their working life it would probably work out more cost effective to put away the same amount of money in a high interest account each month instead, and draw on that if you ever need surgery.
For cancer they act quickly in public.or private. time is a factor then. But for elective stuff your waiting year to have it done in a.public hospital
That is literally what I just posted
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon May 07, 2018 10:12 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Fish-cador wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
For cancer they act quickly in public.or private. time is a factor then. But for elective stuff your waiting year to have it done in a.public hospital
I know someone who was suffering very badly due to a shoulder injury. She waited 2 years for her time to go under the knife in the public hospital. She was already in the OR ready to go inhale the meds when an emergency came in. She was unceremoniously wheeled out of the OR, given her clothes back and was told to wait for their call. It took another 2 years for her to enter the OR.
That public system for you
I have my own extremely bad personal experience with a public hospital in early 2000. My wife complained of extreme headache. BP as sky high. I called 000 and I was told not to wait for ambulance. I was told if my wife can walk or if I can carry her, I should go to the nearest emergency room. I hauled my wife and children - 5 and 2 years to the car and went to Box Hill Hospital barely 3 km away. It was freaking winter! I left the sleeping children in the car, engine running and heater on to check in my wife to the ER. As soon they got her details, she was told to wait for a bed. I was running back and forth ER-car-ER. 5 hours later, we had enough and we walked out of the effing hospital. She was never attended to. By that time, her BP was till high but no longer in dangerous level. That was when I realized, we cant rely on public health system.

Fast forward 10 years later, same thing happened. BP was about 220/120. 2 different machines don't make the same mistake! I called 000 and I was told the same thing. Do not wait for the ambulance. Go to an emergency department. I drove my wife to Knox Private Emergency Dept about 12 km away. In less than 5 minutes of arrival, my wife was hooked to machines and given an injection. 30 minutes later she was almost ready to go home. Diagnosis - ear infection causing liquid imbalance in inner ear resulting in extremely high BP.

I will never go public again if I can pay for private cover.

skifalls
Has liked: 1 time

Post by skifalls » Mon May 07, 2018 10:47 pm

I’m wife a Defence Health and have been for 11 years, it’s a insurance policy, you have it for the unexpected. I can tell you first hand with certain types of cancer you will wait in the public system, private I was admitted within 3 days, my dad with prostate cancer was told 3 -4 month wait, we ended up paying the cost for surgery and got him in within 2 days

I don’t believe I get value from paying 350 plus for a family per month with top everything, I don’t believe I get value from my car, boat or home insurance either but still pay them.

Being in hospital as a private patient for a month or two compared to public and you will see the difference

There are fantastic surgeons, nurses etc in both systems, what suits one person may not suit you.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:03 am

Do you think its important for kids /baby to have it or they are treated good in the public system?

Only think i can think of is if they need braces or glasses.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”