For or against?

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: For or against?

Post by frozenpod » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:07 am

I have seen machines to deposit cans and bottles in NSW as well.

Certainly provides an incentive.

skouta

Post by skouta » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:33 pm

Although the overall result was a reduction of bags in South Australia - 80 per cent of consumers now buy bin bags, up from 15 per cent before the ban came into effect.

So the Coles & Woollies of this world have a double dip, not only have they saved money from not supplying the bags... they are now making money from the sale of bags...

If they were really committed to getting rid of single use plastic bags then stop selling them as well... or is it really about Profits.
"I only caught one - the rest surrendered"

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:45 pm

When I was a child, in NSW there was a deposit scheme, where we got a few cents for a soft drink bottle and about a dozen empty beer bottles for a cent (I think) The boy scouts used earn money collecting bottles, and I remember one place that use to have a huge pile of empty beer bottles every year.

Milk, soft drink came in bottles, then cans gradually got introduced for soft drink and beer.

Groceries were packed in biodegradable paper bags, and the idea of going to plastic bags was too protect the trees. Nobody knew back then the impact that plastic would end up having on the environment.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:47 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:When I was a child, in NSW there was a deposit scheme, where we got a few cents for a soft drink bottle and about a dozen empty beer bottles for a cent (I think) The boy scouts used earn money collecting bottles, and I remember one place that use to have a huge pile of empty beer bottles every year.

Milk, soft drink came in bottles, then cans gradually got introduced for soft drink and beer.

Groceries were packed in biodegradable paper bags, and the idea of going to plastic bags was too protect the trees. Nobody knew back then the impact that plastic would end up having on the environment.
When you were a child, plastic does not exist. :-)

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:59 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:When I was a child, in NSW there was a deposit scheme, where we got a few cents for a soft drink bottle and about a dozen empty beer bottles for a cent (I think) The boy scouts used earn money collecting bottles, and I remember one place that use to have a huge pile of empty beer bottles every year.

They’d have had Bakelite surely
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:32 pm

Fish-cador wrote:

I use to make plastic model aeroplanes and my brother got for christmas a lego set when it was first introduced into Australia.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:33 pm

4liters wrote:
Fish-cador wrote:

They’d have had Bakelite surely
I remember the bakelite,

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:33 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Fish-cador wrote:

I use to make plastic model aeroplanes and my brother got for christmas a lego set when it was first introduced into Australia.
So did Ned Kelly ;-) cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:12 pm

I wonder why the goverment hasnt done more or they wait for it to be recycled by the tip trucks

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:19 pm

smile0784 wrote:I wonder why the goverment hasnt done more or they wait for it to be recycled by the tip trucks
The government is too busy taking donations from lobbyists representing special interest groups (in this case, the people making plastic bags), rooting staffers and generally acting like fuckwits to worry about actual effective public policy.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Off Topic Forum”