Waeco CFX 50

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
Pethrk

Waeco CFX 50

Post by Pethrk » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:45 pm

Hi guys I’m looking at purchasing a waeco cfx 50, was just wondering What everyone’s experiences have been with this camping fridge, I’m tossing up between this and a 40L Engel.

Thanks in advance

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Re: Waeco CFX 50

Post by barra mick » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:53 pm

Pethrk wrote:Hi guys I’m looking at purchasing a waeco cfx 50, was just wondering What everyone’s experiences have been with this camping fridge, I’m tossing up between this and a 40L Engel.

Thanks in advance
If you can afford the engal grab it...buy quality once and not have to fix it later on.

Ive got two engals( one for 20 yrs and one for ten) and there both been smashed around in boats and **** country and still going fantastic.

Bm

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:12 pm

I think engals are better but are more expensive.
All depends how much you want to spend.

I have a cfx 65 and had it in the boat when we went up to brisbaine and back via bermagui and went fine with bumping in the boat for the 6000 km trip. We left at night and only had it running for about half the time to save the batterys in the boat and it took about 4 or 5 hours for the temp to raise up 8 degrees.
Had it set on -15 and was fine the whole trip.

People say it takes ages 24 hours for things to freeze in them even when set to -24.

At bermagui we froze the fish in the house fridge freezer for a few days and then when that got full transferred them into the waeco fully frozen and had it set to -15 and stayed frozen and they were fine.

We left bermagui at 4 am with freezer off at -15 and turned it on at bairnsdale 5 hours later and with everything hard frozen accept some milk was still at -5.

Pethrk

Post by Pethrk » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:21 pm

smile0784 wrote:I think engals are better but are more expensive.

I have a cfx 65 and had it in the boat when we went up to brisbaine and back via bermagui and went fine with bumping in the boat for the 6000 km trip. We left at night and only had it running for about half the time to save the batterys in the boat and it took about 4 or 5 hours for the temp to raise up 8 degrees.

People say it takes ages 24 hours for things to freeze in them even when set to -24.

At bermagui we froze the fish in the house fridge freezer for a few days and then when that got full transferred them into the waeco fully frozen and had it set to -15 and stayed frozen and they were fine.

We left bermagui at 4 am with freezer off at -15 and turned it on at bairnsdale 5 hours later and with everything hard frozen accept some milk was still at -5.
Cheers mate, it will be in the back of my Ute
Most of the time also I was a little worried about
It being in the boat. I’m really not sure which one to buy

Pethrk

Post by Pethrk » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:22 pm

barra mick wrote:
Pethrk wrote:Hi guys I’m looking at purchasing a waeco cfx 50, was just wondering What everyone’s experiences have been with this camping fridge, I’m tossing up between this and a 40L Engel.

Thanks in advance
If you can afford the engal grab it...buy quality once and not have to fix it later on.

Ive got two engals( one for 20 yrs and one for ten) and there both been smashed around in boats and sh*t country and still going fantastic.

Bm
My only concern is the 40l being just a little
Small, I am going camping in may for 7 days with no power so just don’t know if the 40l would be enough

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:38 pm

I have had a CFX50 now for a few years and haven’t had any problems with it. Great unit :thumbsup:

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:42 pm

Pethrk wrote:
smile0784 wrote:I think engals are better but are more expensive.

Cheers mate, it will be in the back of my Ute
Most of the time also I was a little worried about
It being in the boat. I’m really not sure which one to buy
I see alot of traidies with them in the back of there utes with covers and they look pretty worn out probably from sun and rain but never seen the actual freezer.

I know frozen pod has a cfx 90 in his 6.5mt boat and its gets banged around alot fishing 100nm off shore and in 3 to 5 mt swells.
I thinknits a hard riding boat
Last edited by smile0784 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:49 pm

Pethrk wrote:
barra mick wrote:

Thanks in advance

Ive got two engals( one for 20 yrs and one for ten) and there both been smashed around in boats and sh*t country and still going fantastic.

Bm
My only concern is the 40l being just a little
Small, I am going camping in may for 7 days with no power so just don’t know if the 40l would be enough
If you need food for 7 days a 40lt be too small.
Our 65lt holds a total of 3 x 24 pack of drinks. Or we had 2 24 packs sausages, and 3big trays of lamb chops. And few bits and peices

Pethrk

Post by Pethrk » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:54 pm

Lightningx wrote:I have had a CFX50 now for a few years and haven’t had any problems with it. Great unit :thumbsup:

Has it been “thrown around” much they say they don’t like to much movement ?

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:17 pm

Mate go the waeco over the Engel. The extra size will make the difference. Yes the Engels are built to stand the test of time. But are very power hungry and over priced. I myself have a arb 47 litre and it has been a great fridge. Have had it 6-7 years. It lives on the back of the Ute in rain hail and shine and still going strong. I’d consider 1 of these if I were you. The missus and I travelled around aus for 7 months and had the arb and a cfx 35. The arb ran as a fridge and the waeco as a freezer. Both ran every single day and never missed a beat. I’ve since sold the waeco and now lives on a Ute 3 years on and still fine. I’d happily have another waeco and next fridge probly will be a waeco due to a growing family and the 47 is getting smallish. I have nothing against a Engel just think they are over priced and the others do just as good of a job if not better. Either way they will be better than a esky. First thing to do is get rid of the rubbish cigg plug and put a Anderson plug on much better plug.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”