Off grid and camping power options

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Off grid and camping power options

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:26 pm

Hey guys, hoping I can get some experienced advice amongst the varied google results I have been finding.

I'm looking to finally bring some power to camping trips, for the initial purpose of running a fridge (and making camping other than a powered site easier for the missus). Yet to buy anything - but highly likely first purchase will be a Waeco CF40 fridge then the power supply will be shaped around that.

Have looked into additional car battery (but decided against as likely changing car this year) - so looking at portable stand-alone sources. Right now thinking of a chargeable (at home via the 240 plug) battery + solar set up to maintain charge. Other than that would be a petrol generator - but having to transport the fuel as well is not appealing. Here are a couple I have been looking at.

Chargeable powerbank -
https://www.eliteoutdoorgear.com.au/pro ... eoQAvD_BwE

+panels
https://www.eliteoutdoorgear.com.au/pro ... lar-panel/

Generator
https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/advent ... 8EQAvD_BwE

Hoping to spend under $1000max (for power generation only) moreso targeting <$500-750. Fridge and temporary basic electrics (phone, George foreman grill) would be the predominant power suckers. Trips generally 2-4 days on average.

Appreciate any advice or options you can provide

Cheers / Chris

Captain8

Re: Off grid and camping power options

Post by Captain8 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:31 am

Solar panels are great - but you need sun to power them.

I put in a dual battery setup in my car for $400, which runs a 40L fridge for 2 -3 days max (car parked stationery).

To top up, I charge my batterys with a Honda eu10i generator - which is about $1000. (I made a acoustic box for it so it can run silently without annoying others).

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:36 am

What sort of car have you got? If it were me I'd put a duel battery system in the car. Then take it back off before the sale and put it back into your new car. Dc-dc chargers are more expensive than just a standard solinoid but charge much better. The beauty of a battery you don't need generators etc to charge. Just go for a drive and your good to go again. A decent 100amp deep cycle should last you 3-4 days with just your fridge.

If your set on portable power look into ark power packs. Decent bit of kit and can double as 2nd battery.

If budget can stretch I'd look at the waeco cfx over the cf. much better fridge and less power hungry.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:47 am

In short. You’re trying to achieve a lot for $1000. You will probably need to compromise to come in under budget.

I wouldn’t get a pre made portable power pack. For the $$ you spend you get a lot less than if you made it yourself. Personally I wired in a redarc solenoid only to discover due to the “smart” alternator in my pathfinder i need a dc-dc charger. And I haven’t gotten around to doing that yet. My setup is completely removable using anderson plugs.

Having said that. A dc-dc charger wired to a decent 120ah agm battery and a portable solar panel or two wired into the dc-dc charger should give you a hell of a lot of life for your fridge. Should come in at around $1000 if you can do the work yourself.

As for not wanting to put it into your current car. It’s just cable that you can remove. However if you’re concerned you can save a bit of money and not buy the charging gear or panels and you should still get 3 days or so from your battery running the fridge directly. Just buy a decent charger. = ~$500

As for running a George foreman. They suck a fair bit of juice mate. If your heart is set on doing that maybe get twin 120agms. A good charger. Wire the batteries in parallel. Your fridge should run for a week or so on them. And spend the money on a half decent 2000w pure sine wave inverter. That would cost around $1k too.

Personally. I think the 2nd option is best. Throw in an additional battery and a pure sine wave inverter for a total spend of $1800 and you can do anything.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:41 am

We got a solar pannel and a power pack with big boat battery and guys said battery would last 3 to 4 dats woth out solar top up so solor would top it up longer but that codt about 700 but to ensure constant demand need a generator

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:39 pm

From my experience with off grid camping which can last upto 4 weeks you will need only a good deep cycle battery and a good set off solar panels...providing you have sunlight

If you run you battery off a dcdc charger from your car or boat you will have a back up and be better off....but for a simple weekend away i dont think you need it.if your camping alot and for long periods it worth it

I have collaspable solar panel that puts back 8 amps into the 120 amp battery.

My engal fridge uses 4 amps a hour if its running the whole hour.....so your easily covering the usage with alot left over

Imo you need to keep it as simple as possible

Things to help you out

1. Have your fridge cold before you leave
2. Battery fully charged
3...leave a block off ice in bottom off fridge on a hot day...it will cycle way less

For the 3 day trip away the deep cycle battery will be fine just by itself and you can add the solar panels if your going for a week.

Cheers bm

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:53 pm

Just think i had a thread up a while ago talking about battery power and running a cfx 50 car freezer from it when i had to drive to brisbaine.

If from memory the consesis was each battery would last 2 to 3 days with out additional charging.

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:53 pm

Thanks all some good replies which have supported a bit of what I have read online at various sources (as well as being easier to interpret). Got my head around charge and draw a lot better now (George foreman is out - glamping nice to have but not worth the compromise or additional power to run).

130ma deep cycle battery and an Arkpak (or Engel which looks exactly the same as the former except for badge) looks like the best option. Comes in around $800 and seems to be a portable version of a car set up (for those that asked - current car a forester turbo with minimal engine space) with the option to add solar. Those Goal Zero packs looked good but was too easy to find bad reviews of defects found after a few months use

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:53 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:Thanks all some good replies which have supported a bit of what I have read online at various sources (as well as being easier to interpret). Got my head around charge and draw a lot better now (George foreman is out - glamping nice to have but not worth the compromise of cost or additional power to run).

130ma deep cycle battery and an Arkpak (or Engel which looks exactly the same as the former except for badge) looks like the best option. Comes in around $800 and seems to be a portable version of a car set up (for those that asked - current car a forester turbo with minimal engine space) with the option to add solar. Those Goal Zero packs looked good but was too easy to find bad reviews of defects found after a few months use

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:34 pm

Just be careful having a non agm battery inside your forester mate. Agm doesn’t give off any gasses when charging.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”