Evaporate cooler

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: Evaporate cooler

Post by frozenpod » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:15 pm

mingle wrote:Yeah, check the water-supply to the unit...

However, evap-cooling is crap compared to refrigerative.

The biggest regret I have is that when we built our new house, we opted for evap cooling. Refridge was going to cost another 10 grand, but it would've been worth it.

It's pretty useless at temps over 34 degrees and it also makes the air inside very humid, so it sort of defeats the purposed of a cooling system.

Mind you, ours was installed 10 years ago. Maybe they've made improvements since then?

We never use ours now. I have two Mitsubishi refridge split-systems installed and that's what we use to keep us cool in the summer.

Mike.
Evap is just as crap today as it was 10 years ago. Refrigerated cooling is by far better and not a lot more expensive when you use split systems.

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:32 pm

Sounds like a water problem but I'd be getting someone around to have a look and give it a good service if it hasn't been done for a few years.They can breed nasty bug like legionella if not running right so things like the bleed rate or dump timings need to be checked for correct operation.The fan & motor controller are the dearest thing to replace on them and it sounds like they are working.

Swampy's are only good for about a 10-12deg below ambient temp pull down.Lot depends on the humidity in the air.Drier it is the better they work.We have both up here.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:27 pm

Thanks guys

Where would yhe water tap bee

Hydroman

Post by Hydroman » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:08 pm

If it was my unit, I would jump up on the roof, take out all the pads and then get someone to turn the water on for you. Have a look at the jets (the holes in the plastic tubing that runs around the top of the cooler) to make sure none of them are blocked. I cannot remember the actual ratio but it was something like if 25% of the jets are blocked you will loose 75% of the cooling because you pull in hot air through the dry pad. The water should flow out of the jets rather quickly, if not, check the jets and the pump inlet.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:51 pm

yepi'mon wrote:Is the pump on? Generally if it's just hot air blowing out the pump is off and the fan on.
How you tell if pump on?
I never had one before so cant tell.
I know the whole system is noisy so how you tell if its the pump pr not

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:14 pm

smile0784 wrote:
yepi'mon wrote:Is the pump on? Generally if it's just hot air blowing out the pump is off and the fan on.
How you tell if pump on?
Checking to see if there is water coming out would be a good start.
mingle wrote:Yeah, check the water-supply to the unit...

However, evap-cooling is crap compared to refrigerative.

The biggest regret I have is that when we built our new house, we opted for evap cooling. Refridge was going to cost another 10 grand, but it would've been worth it.

It's pretty useless at temps over 34 degrees and it also makes the air inside very humid, so it sort of defeats the purposed of a cooling system.

Mind you, ours was installed 10 years ago. Maybe they've made improvements since then?

We never use ours now. I have two Mitsubishi refridge split-systems installed and that's what we use to keep us cool in the summer.

Mike.
My grandpa set one up to cool the roof space rather than the house itself. It worked pretty well except on really hot days.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:17 pm

Hydroman wrote:If it was my unit, I would jump up on the roof, take out all the pads and then get someone to turn the water on for you. Have a look at the jets (the holes in the plastic tubing that runs around the top of the cooler) to make sure none of them are blocked. I cannot remember the actual ratio but it was something like if 25% of the jets are blocked you will loose 75% of the cooling because you pull in hot air through the dry pad. The water should flow out of the jets rather quickly, if not, check the jets and the pump inlet.

That sounds all chinese to me. Can make it simple?

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:20 pm

Who checks the evaporate coolers?

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:55 pm

smile0784 wrote:
How you tell if pump on?
Usually there is some sort of indication on the head unit. It's possible you have it set on something like manual / fan only.

Even if you do have the the pump on it can take a fair bit to get it working efficiently. If the doors are open to much - it gets to hot, if they are closed to much then it gets to humid.

The trick I read somewhere is to hold up a piece of paper to the window/door. If it is blowing out the window then you don't have the window open enough. If it's not blowing out the window at all then you have the window open to much. Ideally you want the paper just softly pushing out the window. if you have fly screens it should stick against the fly screen... just on the verge of dropping.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:54 pm

Keep in mind the "cool" air coming out the vents is not that cool, there is just a lot of it. It is the air movement like a sea breeze that is refreshing rather than substantial temperature drop.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”